Yamal Sinkhole

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light? If you have a personal favorite theory, that is in someway related to the Electric Universe, this is where it can be posted.
KTMKim

Yamal Sinkhole

Unread post by KTMKim » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:19 am

We are watching a PBS video on the Yamal Sinkhole in Siberia. They say it is unique because it has exploded outward.
They found methane around the rim. Signs that this exploded outward via natural gas ignition.
They are blaming climate change, which we know is certainly not triggered by humans but instead the sun.
Has anyone any info on these sink holes beyond what the PBS special explains?
They surmise the permafrost is melting and taking the land with it, but only in these beautifully round shapes.
I'm an idiot, who can school me?

KTMKim

Re: Yamal Sinkhole

Unread post by KTMKim » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:41 am

PBS can suck it. This whole thing turned into a propaganda piece on how humans caused climate change, and are the reason that carbon will be released by the permafrost and make things even worse.
Boyfriend thought I was nuts for getting so upset about it. (Then HE can suck it too! I can't stomach lies and stupidity especially from 'scientists')

Best part was the dopes trying to light the methane on fire, blew themselves to the ground. Take that dummies!

Maol

Unread post by Maol » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:15 am

So, what do you think makes the holes like that? Some sort of piezoelectric discharge from the bedrock generated by an earthquake, or perhaps the methane is detonated by a lighting strike? For it to detonate explosively I think the methane would have to be permeated throughout a large volume of permafrost at exactly the right condition of a uniform Air / Fuel ratio to be explosive, rather than just burn in a progressive manner.

KTMKim

Unread post by KTMKim » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:01 pm

That's what we were thinking. Why isn't it just burning, why the explosion. What ignited it ?
Seems feasible that organic matter is decaying and creating pockets.

johnm33

Unread post by johnm33 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:11 pm

Iirc the Yamal 'sinkhole' had a sort of side cavern that was more or less a section through a dome. What that suggested to me is that there was some cause for melt at depth. Originally it was called as 65m depth, quite something as the whole peninsular barely rises above 45m. So just possibly some geothermal warming took place which was enough to start the ice melting, the methane released was under enough pressure to drive out most of the meltwater, it rapidly filled, from below, when open to the elements. It seems that two dome like forms grew towards the surface until either there was an ignition of the air/methane mix or the tensile strength of the peaty permafrost gave way and it simply exploded from the methane pressure. Some locals report seeing distant explosions at some sites where these occured, not sure about this one.

KTMKim

Unread post by KTMKim » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:47 pm

Clearly things are heating up and causing a thaw ( most certainly isn't my car exhaust).
I didn't catch the 'side hole' from other methane leaks. Good catch!
But this would explain much of the sink hole issue in the area since it's permafrost and body arts. I don't think methane is the culprit for south America sinkholes, but there is nothing new under the sun is there? ;)