WIP Plasma Experiment / Homemade Terella

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light? If you have a personal favorite theory, that is in someway related to the Electric Universe, this is where it can be posted.
Krankor55

WIP Plasma Experiment / Homemade Terella

Unread post by Krankor55 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:25 am

I am attempting to build a Terella / Plasma chamber at home to conduct a series of experiments on a theory of gravity I have.
I have mainly followed the setup described in this video, Though cleaned up and using a VARIAC instead.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZO5IZz9NgJA

I'm seeking advice here because I've run into a few problems & concerns I have.

1. Vacuum Pressure and Seal
My setup does not seem to be pulling the proper vacuum.
The gauge reads and maintains a 26 inHG (about 100k microns).
My setup is using a large glass jar, with a 1/2" acrylic piece for a lid, with a silicone seal (made for vacuum chambers). I'm using a JB Eliminator hvac vacuum pump to pull the vacuum with a vinyl hose and brass pipe fittings sealed with teflon tape. The air feed-through is sealed with a couple layers of RTV silicone.

Despite this, I have been able to ignite the plasma in the chamber, and the annode / cathode produce a healthy pink / purple glow. This leads me to suspect that my gauge is giving a bad reading.

2. Electrical feed-throughs and wire setups inside the vacuum chamber
What is the best method for creating electrical feed-throughs?
I currently have a pair of heavy gauge wires going through a pair of holes, sealed with JB weld 'clear'.
Though the insulation is showing wear. I confess that I'm ignorant of proper wire / insulation criteria, I'm open to suggestions.

3. UV Rays, X-rays and radiation
I keep the variac voltage below 60 (as per other DIYers) But I want to make sure I'm not exposing myself to too much radiation.
Do I need to acquire a Geiger Counter or is there a lower level of voltage / vacuum pressure I can maintain to keep from producing X-rays / radiation?

If there is more interest, I will share pictures and diagrams of my setup. Thank You for reading.

JP Michael

Re: WIP Plasma Experiment / Homemade Terella

Unread post by JP Michael » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:33 am

Even better: post video of your experiments, even if they are amateur! I would love to see more stuff like Jacob Gable does.

Jacob has a video of his set-up, and a second video on important cautions while operating high voltage plasmas.