Creationism, Myth and Catastrophism

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light? If you have a personal favorite theory, that is in someway related to the Electric Universe, this is where it can be posted.
nick c

Re: Creationism, Myth and Catastrophism

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi Yogi,
Trying to add a few images won't work.Maybe its me but will keep trying.
Here is an added Image. Click attachments, click add file, select the image on your computer, locate the cursor on your post, click place inline
Note there are size limitations as to what images can be posted. You might have to go to a photo program like Paint to reduce the size for posting.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antosarai

Unread post by antosarai » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:31 pm

This is what I got...
nick c wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:27 pm Hi Yogi,
Trying to add a few images won't work.Maybe its me but will keep trying.
Here is an added Image. Click attachments, click add file, select the image on your computer, locate the cursor on your post, click place inline
Note there are size limitations as to what images can be posted. You might have to go to a photo program like Paint to reduce the size for posting.

Capture.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:52 pm

Okay, I see an image of Saturn.
So something is wrong.
Let us see what we can do.

moonkoon

Unread post by moonkoon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:44 pm

Same here, don't see any image, just
Capture.JPG

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:38 pm

Brigit

Unread post by Brigit » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Lloyd, that is a nice diagram of the Himalayas. I rather liked the image hosting website as well, and signed up. Very handy, just what I was looking for.

Easily resize to 600 for this forum:

test
“Oh for shame, how these mortals put the blame upon us gods, for they say evils come from us, when it is they rather who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given…”
~Homer

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Nice to see you succeeded at posting an image, Brigit. I didn't have time to figure it out and won't have time till tonight or tomorrow. Were you having any trouble posting here before this?

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Lloyd wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:07 pmCharles, have you read of any physical evidence of a flood with the Sodom and Gamorrah cataclysm? Do you suppose that flood was like a tidal wave from a bolide hitting the Dead Sea or maybe the Mediterranean Sea some distance away?
The research concluded that a bolide exploded in the air, above the north end of the Dead Sea. The shock wave in the air would have created a wave in the Dead Sea that would have crashed ashore, flooding the farms with salt water. Indirect evidence of this would be that the land became barren and wasn't cultivated until much later, due to the fact that salt is toxic to wheat & barley. They didn't mention any other kind of evidence, such as sedimentation, or if that would have been expected.

Collins, S.; Silvia, P. (2015): The Civilization-Ending 3.7KYrBP Event: Archaeological Data, Sample Analyses, and Biblical Implications. Near East Archaeological Society
Lloyd wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:07 pmNoah's flood would have occurred several centuries before that cataclysm, which latter (Sodom and Gomorrah) seems to have been local, rather than global.
I agree that there were bigger floods earlier. But I'm thinking that Noah witnessed the one in 1740 bce, which destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. Then, when that event was recorded, they incorporated the existing deluge lore.
Lloyd wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:07 pmWhat persuaded me that there was a global flood was noticing that sedimentary rock strata are largely composed of either sandstone, mudstone, or limestone, usually many feet or meters thick and that it's absurd to think that only sand eroded by rainfall and deposited for thousands or millions of years over large areas, often continent-wide, and then only mud for another period of many millennia and then only lime and so on.
I haven't studied this, but that's certainly a compelling point.
Lloyd wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:07 pmThe time of the flood appears to have been about 2400 BC or earlier.
Would the Younger Dryas Impact have been too far back to be a candidate for the precipitating event?
Lloyd wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:07 pmMaybe between you and Charles you could come to a consensus about whether Moses (or he and some contemporaries) invented Hebrew in whole or in part.
Proto-Sinaitic, upon which Paleo-Hebrew was based, was already in existence long before Moses arrived, dating back to ~1800 bce or so. But Moses might have had a hand in promoting it to the official script in his camp. When Akhenaten outlawed iconography, it became awkward to use hieroglyphics, since so many of the glyphs were pictographs of pagan gods. The easiest way to keep writing, without offending the Aten, would have been just to write in shorthand -- instead of drawing the full glyph, to just use a few of the more salient strokes. This shorthand script had already been developed, and was already in use in the Sinai, just for the convenience of it. But with the arrival of Moses, there was a more powerful reason, and it would seem logical that the Jews would record their history & beliefs in that shorthand script, not in hieroglyphics.
Webbman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:57 pmi dont know the truth of it but think for a second about relativity or bending of space and time. Now take a flat earth and bend it over a globe and suddenly relativity makes perfect sense :)
At last!!! Can I have your baby?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes
Astrophysics wants its physics back.
The Electromagnetic Nature of Tornadic Supercell Thunderstorms

Brigit

Unread post by Brigit » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:29 pm

Lloyd, try [img] and then square bracket slash img square bracket

Yes, to answer your question I just made things worse every time I tried to sign in. But I'm okay now! Thanks to our very wonderful, intelligent, goodlooking thunderbolts administrator and moderators.
“Oh for shame, how these mortals put the blame upon us gods, for they say evils come from us, when it is they rather who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given…”
~Homer

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:46 am

Well, people aren't much viewing the new forum yet, but this thread is the most viewed so far.

I hope JP gets back here soon; it's been a while.

Charles, the thread, Evidence of Ancient Global Cataclysm, at http://www.thunderbolts.info/forum/phpB ... 10&t=16025 shows some of the evidence on the first page or so that the Great Flood etc likely occurred about 2400 BC. The Younger Dryas events likely occurred after the Flood, because the Flood is what deposited most of the sedimentary rock strata that cover most of the continents and mountains formed after the deposition, during the Shock Dynamics event. It's possible that the dating was more like 12,000 years ago, but the preponderance of the evidence I've seen suggests that the dating methods are inaccurate. The ancient maps are good evidence, which Jonathan Gray explained and I paraphrased him there.

Time for bed here.

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:29 am

CharlesChandler wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:19 pmWhen Akhenaten outlawed iconography, it became awkward to use hieroglyphics, since so many of the glyphs were pictographs of pagan gods. The easiest way to keep writing, without offending the Aten, would have been just to write in shorthand -- instead of drawing the full glyph, to just use a few of the more salient strokes. This shorthand script had already been developed, and was already in use in the Sinai, just for the convenience of it. But with the arrival of Moses, there was a more powerful reason, and it would seem logical that the Jews would record their history & beliefs in that shorthand script, not in hieroglyphics
This hypothesis is falsified by the absence of proto-Hebrew 'shorthand' in any form in any of the extant texts from Thebes or Akhetaten (Amarna) during Akhenaten's reign, be it in the tombs of the Pharaoh, Queen Tiy, Queen Nefertiti, or Vizier Ay (all use full hieroglyphs), nor the 382 letters of the Amarna corpus (all use Akkadian cuneiform). There is no physical evidence, and the quantity of textual evidence in Akhenaten's reign is impressive, of a Sinaitic or Hebrew shorthand script in use during Akhenaten's reign. This claim seems quite wrong.

I posit, like Velikovsky before me, that this is because Akhenaten's reign is 9th-8th century, conteporaneous with Ahab and Jehoshaphat. Moses had already long died and the written text of the Torah was 600 years in existence. Akhenaten (or his officials) had no need to use a Hebrew-styled alphabetized script. Akkadian was already established as the lingua franca of regional politics abroad, as evidenced by 100% of the letters, and at home hieroglyphs were still in unhindered use, as the Amarna tombs clearly demonstrate.

For Charles' claim to have any validity, he needs to demonstrate that hieroglyphs of the Amarna period actually exhibit 'shorthand variants' when compared with earlier or later periods, a very simple comparitive task for a competent Egyptologist. I welcome his presentation of that specific evidence.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:45 pm

AMARNA DATING
I prefer Charles' chronology, but it looks like Rohl's New Chronology might be better, which I guess is similar to Velikovsky's regarding the dating of the Amarna period. Here's a quote from an article by Rohl.

The Amarna Period and Levantine Archaeology [by] David Rohl
SIS Internet Digest 2001:2 (Sep 2001)
… The Bible text speaks of Solomon receiving Pharaoh's daughter as principal wife, and receiving Gezer as dowry. There have been suggestions (not definitely confirmed, however) that Horemheb's campaign focused on Gezer. So if looking for a pharaoh who might be willing to give a daughter in marriage, Horemheb [[who ruled Egypt immediately after the Amarna period - LK]] is a good candidate.
http://www.catastrophism.com/intro/sear ... t%5B%5D=-1
... The palace at Ugarit (modern Ras Shamra) was destroyed by fire, and this matter was reported by the king of Byblos to Akhenaten in his 12th year. Thus we have a very good idea of the date of burning in terms of Egyptian events. Dotted around the palace [[at Ugarit I suppose - LK]] are chambers containing cuneiform tablets, and the one in question contains astronomical information. It is an omen text of a kind common in both Syria and Babylonia, in which celestial phenomena which had been observed by priests are interpreted, and advice given to the ruler. Other similar texts indicate that the content of this one describes an eclipse. Moreover, a quite specific time indication is found, telling us that the eclipse happened as the sun was setting. By use of retrocalculation software it can be confirmed that only once in all recorded history has a total eclipse happened over Ugarit at sunset, at 6:09 pm on May 9th 1012 BCE. So if the interpretation as an eclipse is correct, there can be no doubt at all over the date.

It's not clear to me from this that the eclipse occurred around the time of the fiery destruction of the Ugarit palace, so I don't know how solid Rohl's contention is.

JP and Charles (and anyone interested), what are your best evidences for your dating of the Amarna period and do you have comments on Rohl's quotes above? Looks like Rohl dates Amarna a few centuries earlier than Velikovsky does.

HIGHLIGHTS/INDEX OF PAGE ONE
of the original thread "Evidence of Ancient Global Cataclysm" at
http://www.thunderbolts.info/forum/phpB ... 10&t=16025
That's where I started working on dates for Noah's Flood (this is for Charles' et al).
_Evidence Sources
_NO C-14 IN COAL
_Evidence of Civilization Destroyed by Global Cataclysm
_CITY 6,000 FEET UNDER THE SEA
_ARTIFACTS [of former civilization] UNCOVERED
_South America ... Before the jungle took over
_ANCIENT MAPS Show Land Before & After Cataclysm http://beforeus.com
_Dating Methods Inaccurate
_These Geological Features Yield Ages of About 4,000 Years
_EGYPT
_DATING OF ATLANTIS
_TOLTECS
_FLOOD DATE
_Something Hit the Earth ... 2345 BC
_GLOBAL CLIMATE WETTER FOR CENTURIES AFTER THE FLOOD
_“SCHOLARS” SABOTAGE ANCIENT DOCUMENTS
_Pi sees / Egypt; DATING OF ATLANTIS
_NOAH'S ARK
_[ANCIENT] GLOBAL EXPLORATION AND SETTLEMENT
_“INCH” AND “CUBIT” LINK
_The Great Pyramid
_BABYLON ... Sumerian ... two lists of “kings” who reigned before the Flood
_TIAHUANACO
_Mountain Forming Witnessed
_webolife / graduated in early 70's from the Univ of Washington with major in Earth Science and minor in Math
... As to biblical reference, I find the record to be well-documented and exceptionally useful taken at face value, in the framework of the original languages, and interpreted in the light of Hebrew/Chaldean culture.
_moses / graduated in Earth Sciences at Flinders Uni in Adelaide, doing applied maths and computer modelling in the early 70's.
_Lloyd / the present Bible seems to be nearly inerrant, despite the errors.
_moses / wrote to Jonathan Gray ... virgin birth, serpents, goats, etc, were actually seen in the sky
_Lloyd / Born of a Virgin = [born in] Virgo
_moses / virgin birth ... a body in the sky ... would have appeared to come out of [another] body.

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:16 pm

JP Michael wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:29 am
CharlesChandler wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:19 pmWhen Akhenaten outlawed iconography, it became awkward to use hieroglyphics, since so many of the glyphs were pictographs of pagan gods. The easiest way to keep writing, without offending the Aten, would have been just to write in shorthand -- instead of drawing the full glyph, to just use a few of the more salient strokes. This shorthand script had already been developed, and was already in use in the Sinai, just for the convenience of it. But with the arrival of Moses, there was a more powerful reason, and it would seem logical that the Jews would record their history & beliefs in that shorthand script, not in hieroglyphics
This hypothesis is falsified by the absence of proto-Hebrew 'shorthand' in any form in any of the extant texts from Thebes or Akhetaten (Amarna) during Akhenaten's reign, be it in the tombs of the Pharaoh, Queen Tiy, Queen Nefertiti, or Vizier Ay (all use full hieroglyphs), nor the 382 letters of the Amarna corpus (all use Akkadian cuneiform). There is no physical evidence, and the quantity of textual evidence in Akhenaten's reign is impressive, of a Sinaitic or Hebrew shorthand script in use during Akhenaten's reign. This claim seems quite wrong.
You're right -- Proto-Sinaitic was not adopted by Akhenaten. But I think that it was adopted by Moses to record the history & beliefs of the movement that he started, and that this is why he is credited with having "invented" the alphabet. BTW, it's possible that there was already a script in use, that was a shorthand for hieroglyphics, but it might have been Moses who canonized it into an abcdery, with a fixed number of characters, to be memorized in a specific order. This is the difference between a script and an alphabet -- a script is a collection of characters used to represent things (such as sounds), while an alphabet is an ordered sequence of characters.
Lloyd wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:45 pmJP and Charles (and anyone interested), what are your best evidences for your dating of the Amarna period and do you have comments on Rohl's quotes above?
I agree with your assessment that the "astronomical fix" cited by Rohl isn't conclusive. The clay tablet mentioning the eclipse doesn't date the destruction of the building it was in. Also, did it describe a total eclipse, and was it total precisely at sunset? If so, the astronomical fix is conclusive, but if it was just any old eclipse, sometime around sunset, there are many more dates to examine.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes
Astrophysics wants its physics back.
The Electromagnetic Nature of Tornadic Supercell Thunderstorms

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:47 am

CharlesChandler wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:16 pmYou're right -- Proto-Sinaitic was not adopted by Akhenaten.
So now you're forced to flatly contradict yourself? You said, and I quote,
Charles Chandler wrote:When Akhenaten outlawed iconography, it became awkward to use hieroglyphics, since so many of the glyphs were pictographs of pagan gods. The easiest way to keep writing, without offending the Aten, would have been just to write in shorthand...
In other words you're suggesting that when Akhenaten 'outlawed iconography', all the royal scribes and craftsmen ignored the Pharaonic edict and continued to use iconography in the hieroglyphs written in the tombs they carved out for the Pharaoh, his wives, children, high officials and on all the religious/funerary implements used therein? Moreover you freely seem to acknowledge that there is 0 evidence in Akhenaten's reign that any 'proto-Sinaitic' shorthand script was even in use, in spite clearly implying that there must have been? Can you explain this contradiction please?
Charles Chandler wrote:But I think that it was adopted by Moses to record the history & beliefs of the movement that he started, and that this is why he is credited with having "invented" the alphabet.
Yet in all my reading of the origin and promulgation of the proto-Sinaitic scripts, not once have I read a single mention of Moses 'originating' the alphabet except as a resounding criticism of hyperactive scholarship of yesteryears. I have read of the humble origins amidst supposedly illiterate Canaanite turquoise miners [1], I have read scholarly origins of proto-Sinaitic amongst the Egyptian turquoise mine owners [2], and I have read the contra-consensus view that Egyptian hieroglyphs are derived from Hebrew and not the other way around [3]. Of the myriad PhD theses and in-depth analyses, the only mentions of Moses I have encountered have been debunking the wild and excessively speculative theories of Herbert Grimme (1923; 1929; 1937) [4]. So whilst I agree that there was definitely a proto-Hebrew script in use, reputable scholarship is adamant that that script was already alphabetised (although the number of characters was not fixed at that time, between 22-29 letters were used in various localities). Moses did not have to 'canonise' anything; the alphabetic script was already enjoying use 300-500 years before Charles' dating of Moses, even assuming standard Egyptian chronology (which I have already stated I reject). Again, Charles' attempt to reconstruct the history of writing is found to be based on ad-hoc storytelling without citations or actual evidence from the period in question.

I also notice you sidestepped my challenge for evidence:
For Charles' claim to have any validity, he needs to demonstrate that hieroglyphs of the Amarna period actually exhibit 'shorthand variants' when compared with earlier or later periods, a very simple comparative task for a competent Egyptologist. I welcome his presentation of that specific evidence.
There's a big difference between suggesting what may have happened versus what did happen.

[1] O. Goldwasser, "The Invention of the Alphabet: On 'lost papyrii' and the Egyptian alphabet," in C. Attuci and C. Rico (eds) Origins of the Alphabet: Proceedings of the First Polis Institute Interdisciplinary Conference (Cambridge, 2015), pp. 124-140.
[2] A. Rainey, "Who really invented the alphabet?" Online discussion with O. Goldwasser, Biblical Archaeology Review (2010).
[3] D. Petrovich, The World's Oldest Alphabet: Hebrew as the Language of the Proto-Consonantal Script (CARTA Jerusalem, 2016).
[4] H. Grimme, Althebraische Inschriften vom Sinai (Hannover, 1923); Die altsinaitischen Buchstabeninschriften auf
Grund einer Untersuchung der Originale
(Berlin, 1929); Altsinaitische Forschungen, epigraphisches und
historisches
(Paderborn, 1937). See review by W.F. Albright, "Review of Grimme, 1937" Jewish Quarterly Review 28: 333-335; also B. Sass, The Genesis of the Alphabet and its Development in the 2nd Millennium B.C. (Ägypten und Altes Testament 13, Wiesbaden, 1988) p. 4: "The work of Herbert Grimme (1923; 1929; 1937 and other publications) is the most eccentric of all. This veteran Semitist caught the Proto- Sinaitic fever towards the end of his life. He identified all sorts of things - scratches on the rock, differences in the colour of the stone and shadows seen in the photographs of the inscriptions - as letters and in his system of decipherment dragged in Moses, Hatshepsut, Yahweh and Sinai."
Grimme's debunked theories are also dismissed in passing by I.J. Gelb, A Study of Writing (Chicago University Press, 1963) p.123: "To some extent progress was hampered not only by the scarcity of comparative material but also by some rather fantastic reconstructions of scholars who tried to read into these inscriptions the names of Jahweh and Moses and the story of the Hebrew peregrinations!"