Earth's Magnetic Field Reversals

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.
nick c

Earth's Magnetic Field Reversals

Unread post by nick c » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:23 pm

I originally was making response to a post on this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=945
but my response became lengthy and was somewhat off the thread's topic, so I put it here on a new thread.
Maol wrote:The Earth's magnetic field reversals are random with no apparent periodicity to their occurrence. They can happen as often as every 10 thousand years or so and as infrequently as every 50 million years or more. The last reversal was about 780,000 years ago.
Are you sure about that? How do geologists determine the age of the last reversal? I ask that question because there is hidden evidence that directly contradicts the assertion that the last magnetic reversal was 780K (or whatever number is fashionable) years ago.

I write "hidden" because it is the cognitive dissonance of the prevailing paradigm that prohibits the acknowledgement of the existence of contrary evidence. In this case the "cognitive dissonance" is rooted in the uniformitarian assumption. In the Electric Universe, which postulates immense electric discharges of planetary proportions in geologically recent times, uniformitarianism becomes a moot point, and more probably a totally erroneous assumption.

Liquefied rock upon cooling to the Curie point (580 degrees C) acquires the state of and orientation of the ambient (Earth's) magnetic field. After solidification the rock retains the characteristics, including the polarity, of that original magnetic field. All over the globe there are rock formations that have a state of reversed polarity, which indicates that when they solidified, the Earth's magnetic field was the reverse of that of today. But there is often a complication, in that many of these rocks display a remnant magnetism that is much stronger than what can be accounted for by the Earth's magnetic field. In some cases the paleomagnetic fields are up to 100X stronger.

This is in complete congruence with the EU postulate that the Earth has experienced strong external (to the Earth) magnetic fields; that is planetary scale electrical discharges.
The external magnetic field would create eddy (electrical) currents in the surface layers of the Earth; the currents would create a magnetic field around the earth that would counteract the external magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field created by the eddy currents would be dependent on the external magnetic field and the velocity with which the earth traveled through it. The thermal effect of the electric currents would liquefy the rocks. The process would be accompanied by volcanic activity and the intrusion of igneous rock into the surface sedimentary rocks. The molten rock would acquire a magnetic state as soon as its temperature dropped to about 580 degrees C.
[...]
We have all three expected effects: lava flowed and igneous rock intruded in the form of dykes or otherwise; the heated rocks acquired reversed magnetic orientations; the intensity of their magnetization is stronger than the earth's own field could possibly produce.
So, when was the last time the Earth had a magnetic reversal?

There is a startling piece of evidence that the last reversal was not 780K years ago, but rather 2.7K years ago, that is in the 8th C BCE, well within the time of written history. From Europe there are numerous examples of ancient Etruscan and Greek vases whose approximate dates are known. A vase is clay fired in a kiln, the position of the vase is known. They were fired in the upright position which is shown by the downward flow of the glaze.
The magnetic inclination or the magnetic dip of the iron particles in the fired clay indicates which was the nearest pole, the south or the north.
In 1898 Giuseppe Folgheraiter began his careful studies of Attic (Greek) and Etruscan vases of various centuries, starting with the eighth century before the present era. His conclusion was that in the eighth century the earth's magnetic field was inverted in Italy and Greece. Italy and Greece were closer to the south than the north magnetic pole."
Folgheraiter's work was subsequently verified by contemporary researchers that found that vases made around 1000 BC had an orientation very close to that of today, but some other 8th C BC vases were reversed. Which means there may have been two reversals during that era.
These researches, continued and described in a series of papers by Professor Mercanton, presently with the Service Meteorologique Universitaire in Lausanne, show that the magnetic field of the earth, not very different than what it is today, was disturbed sometime during or immediately following the eighth century and to the extent of complete reversal.
source: Earth In Upheaval, (1955) Immanuel Velikovsky, pp143-147

coldelectric

Re: Earth's Magnetic Field Reversals

Unread post by coldelectric » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:20 pm

Right!? These need further exposition! I've got nothing to add, but will at least chime in as 'interested'.

I was going through Earth in Upheaval earlier this month; the "100x Geomagnetic field strength" always strikes me as immensely curious. Also the Etruscan clay pottery - only 800BC!? Even Velikovsky only mentioned those clues in passing; I'd like a whole book devoted to the subject (though I'll not hold breath). I guess i could dig up Velikovsky's sources...

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:16 pm

hi coldelectric,
Velikovsky's source for the 8th C BCE reversal as evidenced in Etruscan and Greek vases was Guiseppe Folgheraiter (1856-1913), who is considered to be the pioneer of archaeomagnetism studies.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... OMAGNETISM

The article mentions his studies of ancient vases but doe not consider the implications of his results. His studies were not of one or two vases but of 191 samples of ancient pottery from 10 epochs. Furthermore, Folgheraiter studied the effects electric discharges (lightning) on lavas.
Folgheraiter studied the rock magnetism of the volcanic rocks of Latium where he replicated the findings of Macedonio Melloni, who had studied Vesuvius lavas, and found that volcanic rocks are affected by a permanent magnetization. In addition, Folgheraiter verified the discovery by Filippo Keller of the Punti distinti. Folgheraiter also made the innovative proposal that lightning strongly influences the magnetic properties of lavas resulting in magnetic disorder.

{bold added]
If a puny atmospheric lightning bolt can influence the magnetic properties of lava rocks, then what effect would a planetary thunderbolt during a Velikovskian type of catastrophe have on the lithosphere of the planet? What effect would it have on radioactive decay rates and consequently on the validity of geological dating?

Open Mind

Unread post by Open Mind » Wed May 01, 2024 2:41 am

following...

Love that those pottery finds sink up with that mars attack Velikovsky idea. Here's another thing re: the popularized YDIH. The Commet Research Group includes a variety of high level scientists who've done some great work validating their theory, but one of them, Malcolm Lecompte mentioned this on a past Rogan interview:

"“An impact would do it, (produce Trinitite), or a fulgurite could do it. A fulgurite is what’s produced by a lightning strike and could produce spherules, it could produce all the high temperature products that you’d see in an impact, but in a very limited way. You wouldn’t expect to see it in a layer unless there was some sort of global lightning storm.”