We Are Back

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.
davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: We Are Back

Unread post by davesmith_au » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:54 am

Cargo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:50 am The nice thing is, all one has to do for old links is put a wp in there. So .info/forum3 is now .info/wp/forum3
Perfect.
Yup, you got it in one.

Having said that, I've put in a few 301 redirects, so that people unfamiliar with our sites, if they click on a link somewhere out in the interwebs, should be redirected to the right place now.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

BeAChooser

Unread post by BeAChooser » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:33 pm

It’s great to see the forum back up. Kudos to davesmith_au and nick c.

Phorce

Unread post by Phorce » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:39 am

davesmith_au wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:46 pm
Phorce wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:22 pm Great to see you back ! What happened ? Why do you have to keep moving servers ? I've been with A2 for years and never had any problems with them.
I think the last server move was around a decade ago.

The thunderbolts site is actually pretty huge and more complex than many standard hosting deals will support effectively. This requires some considerable expense to keep up, as well as complicating matters on the odd occasion major changes or upgrades are required. I'd have said we "never had any problems" with our current host in over ten years, until now. Checking a2 they have similar arrangements and costs to our current host.
Thanks for the explanation. There's AWS which has specific technologies to assist with scaling everything up and down based on demand. I've experimented with some AWS servers but I don't know effective that might be in making any savings.
Exploration and discovery without honest investigation of "extraordinary" results leads to a Double Bind (Bateson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind ) that creates loss of hope and depression. No more Double Binds !