Electrical Generation in Plasmas - Discussion

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
JP Michael

Electrical Generation in Plasmas - Discussion

Unread post by JP Michael » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:02 am

This thread is designed for those in the community who are by no means experts in physics, or may be new here and want an overview of some core concepts of the Electric Universe hypothesis. I am compiling this as a physics layman to my fellow laymen.

The elementary principles of electricity generation seem simple enough. Electric current is induced in a conductor by the movement of magnetic fields through or past that conductor. The amount of electrical energy produced by this process can be calculated, depending on the properties of the conductor, and is known as potential. Until the magnetic field passes through the conductor, no electrons move and thus no electricity is generated. That is why it is a potential: circumstances need to cause, or induce, what can move to move. This induction is only momentary; particles (like electrons) in a conductor will quickly establish a new equilibrium and cease movement as soon as possible.

This is how electrical generators in typical power plants operate: water is heated by a fuel, e.g. coal, oil, gas, nuclear (thermal energy), the resulting steam turns the fins of a turbine (mechanical energy) which is attached to a rotor, the end of which has spaced magnets which induce current in nearby stationary stator, which consists, usually, of coils (solenoids) of copper wire. Note that this arrangement can be in reverse: the solenoids can be on the rotor, moving past static magnets. The carefully aligned movement of the magnetic fields past the copper coils induces a flow of electrons in the copper at a given "pressure", called voltage and measured in Volts, which can then be redirected elsewhere to perform "work". The flow of current in the conductor itself induces magnetic fields outside. These are toroidal magnetic fields.

Toroidal Magnetic Fields surrounding a current-carrying wire.

Thus, when it comes to understanding both the presence and role of electricity in space, we need to establish two important things. First, that there are moving magnetic fields in space. These fields cannot be constant: in the case of the generator example above, if the gap between the magnets in the rotor (or the stator) is removed (e.g. having a single solid magnet), no current will be induced in the conductor and the current will cease flowing (i.e. all the electrons in the conductor will move away from the field, but they will all eventually reach a stage of equilibrium and stop moving once they have all jostled one another momentarily). The 'gap' between the high-low pulses of moving electrons is called frequency, measured in Hertz (number of times per pulse per second), and the strength of the pulse (i.e. how strong or weak it is) is called amplitude, measured in Amps.

Second, that there is an adequate conductor in space, in which a current may be induced by the moving magnetic fields. In space, this conductor is plasma, the ionised gases (primarily hydrogen protons and free electrons, but it can be any element on the periodic table) as well as larger, charged dust particles that are present everywhere in the solar system and beyond. Moreover, when a plasma is induced by moving magnetic fields in space to conduct electric current, the filament itself will begin to generate its own magnetic field. This, in turn, can constrict the current-carrying filament in the direction of the flow of the current, the Z direction (a plasma Z-pinch), and results in mutual attraction/repulsion of current carrying filaments into self-spiralling twins known as Birkeland currents.

What I would like this thread to be used for is the discussion of evidence of these two points, especially the first. Where are moving, variable magnetic fields typically located that might induce current in space plasmas? Where are moving, variable magnetic fields typically located that might induce current in terrestrial environments (e.g. earth's atmosphere/earth's crust, or in a comet)? What models of induction exist within the world of plasma cosmology to explain electricity generation in stars? In galaxies? Elsewhere in the known universe?

Please correct any errors in my physics above. I am doing my best to understand!

Cheers,
JP.

jacmac

Re: Electrical Generation in Plasmas - Discussion

Unread post by jacmac » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:32 am

JP Michael:
The carefully aligned movement of the magnetic fields past the copper coils induces a flow of electrons in the copper at a given "pressure", called voltage and measured in Volts,
Although that statement is ok as a general introduction to electricity, there is a big difference between "flow of electrons" and an
"electric current". Individual electrons often move in a chaotic/random manner and quite slowly compared to an electric current that moves at or near the speed of light. This is a very complicated subject(for me), that can be easily oversimplified; and especially as it moves into discussions of electric currents in plasma in space.
Thus, when it comes to understanding both the presence and role of electricity in space, we need to establish two important things. First, that there are moving magnetic fields in space.
While any current in a space plasma will generate its own(local) magnetic field, there might not be a moving magnetic field that has powered the currents in that plasma within a visible or detectable range. Similar to electricity in your house, a voltage alone can illuminate and power things with no moving magnetic field in sight.

Plasma can self organize into double layers (DL) of charge, which can "do work".
Jack

antosarai

Unread post by antosarai » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 am

As I understand it:

Electrons are constantly moving randomly every wich way with a speed around millions of kilometers per hour (individual movement); such movement is measured as temperature and causes no electric current. An electric current will cause the (free) electrons on and/or in an electric conductor to drift coordinately in the direction of current with a speed around a few meters per hour (drift movement). The electric current flows at or near the speed of light (around one trillion kilometers per hour). The movement of electrons is not the cause of electric currents; electric currents cause (very slow, coordinated) electron movement in/on their conductor; what gives rise to electric current is electric tension (voltage) caused by the attraction of oposite charges (charge separation).

On another hand alternate current relates to electric induction. Direct current doesn't. Almost all models of electric currents in plasma refer to direct currents. I don't know any natural phenomenon produces alternate current.

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:08 pm

I agree with your first paragraph antosari.

antosarai:
On another hand alternate current relates to electric induction. Direct current doesn't.
All electricity generated by a moving wire(S) through a magnetic field, or
by a moving / changing magnetic field about a stationary wire is generated by induction.
The difference between an AC or DC generator is mainly based on the mechanical methods used to transfer electricity
from the rotating parts(generator) to the stationary parts(circuit).
Most commercial electric generation(by induction) is AC due to cost and safety issues related to distribution of the electric power;
but both are "related" to induction.
Jack

antosarai

Unread post by antosarai » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 pm

From http://www.differencebetween.net/busine ... directions. :

The main difference between dynamos and alternator is the type of current they produce. Dynamos produce a direct current that flows in the same direction. In comparison, alternators produce an alternating current, which constantly changes directions.

The part that allows the dynamo to produce direct current is the commutator. At its simplest, it is basically a fixed switch connects and disconnects as the shaft turns. The commutator constantly changes the polarity of the output current so that the output is always of the same polarity. Without a commutator, a dynamo would simply produce alternating current just like an alternator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_generator :
Except for the homopolar generator, no rotary electric machine can produce DC without rectifiers or commutators.

AC can directly cause EM induction, DC can't.

... Guess you can see what I mean when I say that AC relates to induction and DC doesn't. ;)

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:45 am

Antosarai:
The part that allows the dynamo to produce direct current is the commutator. At its simplest, it is basically a fixed switch connects and disconnects as the shaft turns. The commutator constantly changes the polarity of the output current so that the output is always of the same polarity. Without a commutator, a dynamo would simply produce alternating current just like an alternator.
I said:
The difference between an AC or DC generator is mainly based on the mechanical methods used to transfer electricity
from the rotating parts(generator) to the stationary parts(circuit).
Both statements say the same thing.
The mechanical method above is the commutator that changes the polarity.

You say:
AC can directly cause EM induction, DC can't.
This is why I am posting here.
The INDUCTION takes place as the wire moves through the magnetic field.
The induction is the act of creating the current.
AC or DC is due to how one builds the device to deliver the current to a circuit.

What one can or can't do with either type of current or voltages after they are made is not what I am talking about.
I know that transformers use AC and not DC.
That is because AC creates a changing magnetic field to induce current in a stationary wire.
But, until something changes direction, Induction creates Direct(non polarity changing )Current.
It can be misleading to say that Induction is not associated with Direct Current,
because that is the only thing It actually does.
I am talking about basics,
before one moves into the complicated world of plasma in space.

Jack