What do I need to know about antimatter ?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
MaxGain

What do I need to know about antimatter ?

Unread post by MaxGain » Tue May 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Where can I go to find out the origin of the antimatter idea ?
Is it part of quantum mechanics ?
I don't think antimatter is real .
Can I get some info

Michael Mozina

Re: What do I need to know about antimatter ?

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Tue May 12, 2020 6:40 pm

MaxGain wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:03 pm Where can I go to find out the origin of the antimatter idea ?
Can I get some info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter
The modern theory of antimatter began in 1928, with a paper[15] by Paul Dirac. Dirac realised that his relativistic version of the Schrödinger wave equation for electrons predicted the possibility of antielectrons. These were discovered by Carl D. Anderson in 1932 and named positrons (a portmanteau of "positive electron"). Although Dirac did not himself use the term antimatter, its use follows on naturally enough from antielectrons, antiprotons, etc.[16] A complete periodic table of antimatter was envisaged by Charles Janet in 1929.[17]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dirac

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Tue May 12, 2020 7:11 pm

MaxGain wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:03 pm Where can I go to find out the origin of the antimatter idea ?
Can I get some info
FYI, I would say that there is overwhelming experimental evidence to support the existence of positrons, and that's essentially the origin of antimatter, not to mention very strong laboratory evidence of antiprotons.

https://home.cern/news/news/physics/bas ... -precision

In terms of matter-antimatter measurements out in space, you might start with cosmic rays since they're charged particles that are moving massive amounts of (mostly) positively charged current at very close to the speed of light. Within that continuos cosmic ray bombardment of charged fast moving particles from space, we do seem to measure *tiny* numbers of fast moving positrons, virtually no measured antiprotons AFAIK, a relatively small number of electrons and an overwhelming amount of fast moving ions made of normal matter (mostly hydrogen and helium ions). In terms of it's "practical value" in cosmology, antimatter models may be limited to being an interesting question as it relates to the describing all of the potential electrical energy sources that sustain the overall current flow in our visible sliver of the universe.

Alfven discussed some types of possible plasma configurations in space in terms of 'ambiplasma", evacuated regions of thin plasma composed of both matter and antimatter. He also assumed that any "bang" which may have occurred in the past, happened as a result of the collision between dense regions of matter and antimatter, before the expansion process pushed everything outward again, including spacetime itself in all it's possible physical configurations between matter and antimatter.

The closest thing that we are capable of measuring in space inside of our solar system is found in cosmic ray measurements, and any type of "ambiplasma" (aka plasma that includes some antimatter) in space is apt to be composed of mostly matter, and only a tiny fraction of it is composed of antimatter. That doesn't bode well in terms of likely finding massive amounts of antimatter in 'space', at least in our little visible sliver of space/time.

Alfven entertained the possibility of a matter/antimatter universe which is expanding and evolving over time, with us being located in a mostly matter dominated region of space in terms of what is visibly accessible to us today on Earth.

Personally I believe that there's ample existence of antimatter in experiments on Earth, but there is little evidence so far that antimatter plays a major role in the local electromagnetic events occurring inside of our solar system, or even our galaxy. We'll be able to measure more once we can freely, routinely and widely travel into interplanetary space.

Since I personally tend to favor a tired light explanation for redshift, as Edwin Hubble preferred later in his life, I believe that we live in a relatively static (actually ever flowing) configuration of mostly ordinary matter. I'm not sure that antimatter is likely to play a major role in terms of events in space, but it does come in handy to explain some rare solar flare events which show "lines" which are known from laboratory testing to come from positron/electron annihilation processes.

That's my two cents anyway. :)

MaxGain

Unread post by MaxGain » Wed May 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks for your reply

MaxGain

Unread post by MaxGain » Sun May 17, 2020 5:35 pm

I thought antimatter is theoretical . I also thought the universe is not expanding and there was no big bang .