Obese Black Holes

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
BeAChooser

Obese Black Holes

Unread post by BeAChooser » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:45 pm

https://www.nasa.gov/missions/chandra/n ... lack-hole/
NASA Telescopes Discover Record-Breaking Black Hole

Astronomers have discovered the most distant black hole yet seen in X-rays, using NASA telescopes. The black hole is at an early stage of growth that had never been witnessed before, where its mass is similar to that of its host galaxy.

This result may explain how some of the first supermassive black holes in the universe formed.

... snip ...

By combining data from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, a team of researchers was able to find the telltale signature of a growing black hole just 470 million years after the big bang.

… snip …

This discovery is important for understanding how some supermassive black holes can reach colossal masses soon after the big bang. Do they form directly from the collapse of massive clouds of gas, creating black holes weighing between about 10,000 and 100,000 Suns? Or do they come from explosions of the first stars that create black holes weighing only between about 10 and 100 Suns?

… snip …

The large mass of the black hole at a young age, plus the amount of X-rays it produces and the brightness of the galaxy detected by Webb, all agree with theoretical predictions in 2017 by co-author Priyamvada Natarajan of Yale University for an “Outsize Black Hole” that directly formed from the collapse of a huge cloud of gas.
Now that got me curious about Priyamvada Natarajan’s theory.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3 ... a6330/meta

First, I notice that this astrophysicist actually called them “Obese”, not “Outsize” black holes. I guess western PCism is at work.

And second, the paper doesn’t mention the word plasma or electromagnetism. It’s all just “gas”. What could go wrong with such a theory?