An Excellent Biography of Georges Lemaitre; His Proposal of an Expanding Universe from a Cosmic Egg

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.
Brigit

An Excellent Biography of Georges Lemaitre; His Proposal of an Expanding Universe from a Cosmic Egg

Unread post by Brigit » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:26 am

I have found this article on Georges Lemaitre to be illuminating, and a fine reference work. If it's alright I'd like to elevate it here all the way up to an Electric Universe - Resource!

https://www.famousscientists.org/georges-lemaitre/

Most of us here on Thunderbolts are likely critics of the Big Bang because of the work of astronomer Halton Arp. As the main proponents of the Electric Universe have tirelessly pointed out, Arp's redshift observations completely falsify the expanding universe theory. Anyone willing to look at this challenge can read Seeing Red by Halton Arp.

But there have been many discussions about the origins of the Big Bang Theory with the mathematician, Thomist and Jesuit, Georges Lemaitre, and I think this article does a wonderful job in highlighting the fact that he had written and published a paper on the expansion rate of the Universe two years before Edwin Hubble did so. In a way, it isn't Hubble's Law, it's Lemaitre's Law. The point that Georges Lemaitre believed the Universe was expanding from he termed the "primeval atom"; Lemaître himself also described his theory as “the Cosmic Egg exploding at the moment of the creation".
“Oh for shame, how these mortals put the blame upon us gods, for they say evils come from us, when it is they rather who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given…”
~Homer

jackokie

Re: An Excellent Biography of Georges Lemaitre; His Proposal of an Expanding Universe from a Cosmic Egg

Unread post by jackokie » Sun May 01, 2022 8:11 pm

@Brigit Nice to see you here again. Thank you for the link to Lemaitre's biography; having read it I can see why you were motivated to post it. I came away impressed, plus really liking the guy:
He would have become an artillery officer, but was expelled from training after telling an instructor that his ballistics calculations were wrong!

Lemaître’s view was that God had constructed a universe accessible to the human mind, and mathematics and science were the doors through which the truth could be discovered.
I wonder what he would have made of the full electromagnetic spectrum our current instruments reveal.
Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once.

Brigit

Re: An Excellent Biography of Georges Lemaitre; His Proposal of an Expanding Universe from a Cosmic Egg

Unread post by Brigit » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:27 am

Thanks for the note jackokie, good to see you as well. How's life?

The linked article has plenty of leads.
“Oh for shame, how these mortals put the blame upon us gods, for they say evils come from us, when it is they rather who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given…”
~Homer