EU Discord Server?

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.
paladin17

EU Discord Server?

Unread post by paladin17 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Just a proposition: perhaps EU (Thunderbolts etc.) may benefit from having a dedicated Discord server.
I think it is a decent quasi-forum type of platform which has more interactivity than regular forums and at the same time has all the advantages of the latter (e.g. you can create separate "locked" chats for "content creators", so that one of the authors - like Thornhill or Talbott - may have a separate chat dedicated purely for their thoughts and ideas etc.).
At the same time one can have e.g. regular voice chats with the members or live lectures (using screenshare) and things like that. It's like Skype, but wider in possibilities. I think it may benefit the movement's outreach (perhaps more in quality than in quantity) significantly - much more than YouTube did - if managed properly.

KTMKim

Re: EU Discord Server?

Unread post by KTMKim » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:39 pm

I think it’s a great idea, but (forgive me older crowd :? ) some of the seniors don’t do well with technology such as this. The kids (yeah I’m closing in on middle age) have telegram, discord, element etc. and it has been a great real time connection I’ve enjoyed.

I reached out via patreon asking if some type of meetup group directory (in real life) would be an option since it has worked with other creators on their websites with their dedicated subscribers. I’m realizing now, EU fans are far and few between. Perhaps a discord would be a better idea than a real life meetup. Fans are too scattered and unable to have coffee once a month.

Judging by the replies to your post, I’m guessing this discord thing isn’t the best idea either though the forum concept is slow and old. Would it be a good idea to just start with us two and let website coordinators know of any progress? Then they can advertise it with a simple banner?

We would definitely have to appoint moderators and some sort of filter to keep unwanted abuse of spammers, but it has been done!

Thoughts ?

KTMKim

Unread post by KTMKim » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:57 pm

How about a Telegram channel of fans?

jackokie

Unread post by jackokie » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:18 pm

@KTMKim Now hold on. Us Seasoned Citizens are just as capable as figuring out how to work these new-fangled contraptions as the next person. This discord thingy sounds like it might be a good idea. I'd be pleased to take a look at it as soon as I figure out why this white-out ain't fixin' my document. Maybe it's defective, it sure is making a mess on my screen.
Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once.

Cognizant_Jon

Unread post by Cognizant_Jon » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:11 pm

A Discord chat server wouldn't be a bad idea. The difficult part is the setup and appointing moderators. Also, Patreon has a direct-connect feature to Discord that can be offered as a supporter benefit. More people are moving away from traditional/mainstream social media channels, many of which are moving to Discord chat servers. I personally use that service to stay up to date on what my favorite creators are doing.

I am a technology-flexible person, and don't mind adjusting to new tech. For outreach purposes, using new tech is a great way to bridge the divide between multiple generations, discord can be used either via web browser, local desktop application, or on your smart phone. So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Edit: Pardon me for bumping this thread. I realized too late this conversation was two years old.

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:06 pm

I am one of the older forum members.
Besides figuring out how to work the Technology there is the issue of using it.
I like the written words of the forum.
One can think of replies to ideas then edit your own text as you go etc.
But I would certainly try to use any new way to communicate that might become available.
Jack

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:09 pm

KTMKim wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:57 pm How about a Telegram channel of fans?
Depends if you want everyone to receive an endless bombardment of scammers selling you Dogecoin or whatever.