Ok … this is pretty cool. But …

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
BeAChooser

Ok … this is pretty cool. But …

Unread post by BeAChooser » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:18 pm

https://www.sciencealert.com/incredible ... years-away
Incredible Footage Shows Planets Circling a Star Light-Years Away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9EG3gbQ5P0&t=1s
The star is HR 8799 and it’s 133 light years away. The planets are gas giants, bigger than Jupiter. The closest one take 45 years to complete an orbit.

Now how this is useful to know is your guess. Even the astronomer who has been taking the images from which the video was made is quoted saying “There’s nothing to be gained scientifically from watching the orbiting systems in a time lapse video, but it helps other appreciate what were studying.”

In other words, it’s a sell job, like much of what we hear from astrophysicists and the mainstream media these days. We're being manipulated.

nick c

Re: Ok … this is pretty cool. But …

Unread post by nick c » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:14 am

BAC wrote:In other words, it’s a sell job, like much of what we hear from astrophysicists and the mainstream media these days. We're being manipulated.
Is it your position that the linked video, which is a portrayal of another solar system, is not a real representation? If so what are your reasons for that?
It seems to me that these researchers have managed to portray a star with the orbits of 3 of its planets (there are probably other planets that are undetectable given the present technology). Why is that a bad thing?

BeAChooser

Unread post by BeAChooser » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:17 am

nick c wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:14 am Is it your position that the linked video, which is a portrayal of another solar system, is not a real representation?
Not at all. I didn't say anything to suggest that, nick. In fact, I indicated the video was made from IMAGES recorded over a period of time. I simply asked what value spending taxpayer money to produce the video has ... and quoted the astronomer who created it admitting that it has no scientific value. So are we paying him to entertain us? Or was it ... like he also admitted ... created to sell the idea of astrophysicists spending our money on his work ... which ... frankly ... isn't any more likely to impact our lives in any significant way than ... well ... dark matter.

Cargo

Unread post by Cargo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:05 am

I think things like this, looking at least at as much as we can see, are important. Views like this remind me of our attempts at making a video of what an atom looks like. We're getting there.

Beyond that, everything else about what we are looking at is a complete mystery until we send a probe.
interstellar filaments conducted electricity having currents as high as 10 thousand billion amperes
"You know not what. .. Perhaps you no longer trust your feelings,." Michael Clarage
"Charge separation prevents the collapse of stars." Wal Thornhill

BeAChooser

Unread post by BeAChooser » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:22 am

Cargo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:05 am I think things like this, looking at least at as much as we can see, are important.
Why? We already know that planets circle other stars. We don't have to see it to know it is happening. We can watch the planets in the solar system do that. We're not going to learn anything more in terms of physics about why and how the planets circle our sun by viewing them doing so around distant stars. So why is this important enough to forcibly extract money from taxpayers and turn it over to the priests of astrophysics, Cargo?
Cargo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:05 amViews like this remind me of our attempts at making a video of what an atom looks like.
Discovering how atoms work has a direct impact on our lives. It will allow engineers to make better products and new ones never seen before, for example. But astronomical observations like this won't do that. it will have little to no impact on anyone's live for the foreseeable future.
Cargo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:05 am Beyond that, everything else about what we are looking at is a complete mystery until we send a probe.
And what's the point of that, other than it putting more billions in the pockets of the astrophysics community and those who depend on it for their livelihood? Mind you, I have no objection if some billionaire or group of billionaires want to use his/her/their money for that purpose, but what right do they have to take money from me and countless other much less wealthy taxpayers and put it in the pockets of the astrophysics community? What service do they perform? What product do they create? How will seeing these videos improve the living standard of the world?

Cargo

Unread post by Cargo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:34 am

I certainly can not argue against your point. I just think of it a little differently, ignore the overall budget policy for DM searches. If we have scopes doing nothing beyond their function to stare into space and gather light from a nearby System, I'm just glad we finally have some pictures of another Solar System that's not a Time Life Artists Conception. This is a semi-historic thing right, seeing planets in another solar system, for the first time. Other then actually going there.
interstellar filaments conducted electricity having currents as high as 10 thousand billion amperes
"You know not what. .. Perhaps you no longer trust your feelings,." Michael Clarage
"Charge separation prevents the collapse of stars." Wal Thornhill

BeAChooser

Unread post by BeAChooser » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:39 am

Yeah, like I said ... this is pretty cool.

Brigit

Unread post by Brigit » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:51 pm

BeAChooser says »
Tue Jan 31, 2023 "The star is HR 8799 and it’s 133 light years away. The planets are gas giants, bigger than Jupiter. The closest one take 45 years to complete an orbit.

Now how this is useful to know is your guess."

The first question is "What type of star is HR 8799?"

And what instruments and what wavelengths were used to observe it?

What is that global stellar emission, and what is triggering it?

Are these orbiting companions, or are they gas giants , or have there been corrections to the images, to obtain a modelled result of circular movement around the central star ? Or any other modifications that have been incorporated into the images ?

Are there faint indications of nested shells in the image ?

Do the planetary orbits have resonances ?

All sincere questions, btw. I miss Stephen Smith.
“Oh for shame, how these mortals put the blame upon us gods, for they say evils come from us, when it is they rather who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given…”
~Homer