Square Kilometre Array - I’d be excited IF …

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
BeAChooser

Square Kilometre Array - I’d be excited IF …

Unread post by BeAChooser » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:39 am

I’d be excited about this IF …

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-04254-7
After 30 years of planning and negotiations, construction begins this week on the Square Kilometre Array (SKA), the world’s largest radio-astronomy observatory. The giant instrument — to be built across sprawling sites in Australia and Africa — will collect the radio signals emitted by celestial objects and will hopefully shed light on some of the most enigmatic problems in astronomy, such as the nature of dark matter and how galaxies form.
... if I wasn't certain the results would only be presented as proof of DM and other Big Bang gnomes, when in fact the results will likely be nothing of the sort. After all, radio telescopes are great at detecting electromagnetism and what it's doing to plasmas.

As the article indicates, this will be another multi-BILLION dollar project (they're going to build 131,000 antennas in Australia alone) that should keep a lot of astrophysicists living in comfort for a long time.

Notice that the article quotes one of the astronomers involved in the project saying it "help us study nearby galaxies in great detail and directly detect the flow of gas into galaxies and the processes that lead to star formation”. The "flow of gas"? But radio telescopes don't detect flowing "gas". They detect flowing plasma. That's an important distinction.

Ironically, even Australia's Telescope National Facility admits this on their web page: https://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/educ ... index.html . They note 4 sources of electromagnetic radiation that radio telescopes can detect. One is the movement of "charged gas (called plasma)" through an electromagnetic field. Yep. The second is thermal emission. In other words, the electrons in a nucleus get excited, which changes their orbits, then lose energy, and change orbits again, a process that does not require "gas" to move. The third source they mention is "synchrotron radiation", which is emitted when "electrons moving near the speed of light get accelerated in strong magnetic fields." Again, this does not require moving "gas". And, finally, MASERS are mentioned, and again, no movement of gas is needed. So they really should have used the word plasma above. Mainstream radio astronomers don't seem to understand their own field enough to make an accurate statement to the press anymore. Too blinded by their gnomes, I guess.

But they sure do know how to rapidly spend your money. Sad but true.