Anybody here think this actually explains ANYTHING?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
BeAChooser

Anybody here think this actually explains ANYTHING?

Unread post by BeAChooser » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:15 am

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-ixp ... et-mystery
NASA’s IXPE Helps Solve Black Hole Jet Mystery

Some of the brightest objects in the sky are called blazars. They consist of a supermassive black hole feeding off material swirling around it in a disk, which can create two powerful jets perpendicular to the disk on each side. A blazar is especially bright because one of its powerful jets of high-speed particles points straight at Earth. For decades, scientists have wondered: How do particles in these jets get accelerated to such high energies?

NASA’s Imaging X-Ray Polarimetry Explorer, or IXPE, has helped astronomers get closer to an answer. In a new study in the journal Nature, authored by a large international collaboration, astronomers find that the best explanation for the particle acceleration is a shock wave within the jet.

“This is a 40-year-old mystery that we’ve solved,” said Yannis Liodakis, lead author of the study and astronomer at FINCA, the Finnish Centre for Astronomy with ESO. “We finally had all of the pieces of the puzzle, and the picture they made was clear.”

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/file ... 1080px.jpg

This illustration shows NASA’s IXPE spacecraft, at right, observing blazar Markarian 501, at left. A blazar is a black hole surrounded by a disk of gas and dust with a bright jet of high-energy particles pointed toward Earth. The inset illustration shows high-energy particles in the jet (blue). When the particles hit the shock wave, depicted as a white bar, the particles become energized and emit X-rays as they accelerate. Moving away from the shock, they emit lower-energy light: first visible, then infrared, and radio waves. Farther from the shock, the magnetic field lines are more chaotic, causing more turbulence in the particle stream.
Credits: NASA/Pablo Garcia

... snip ...

IXPE watched Markarian 501 for three days in early March of 2022, and then again two weeks later. During these observations, astronomers used other telescopes in space and on the ground to gather information about the blazar in a wide range of wavelengths of light including radio, optical, and X-ray. While other studies have looked at the polarization of lower-energy light from blazars in the past, this was the first time scientists could get this perspective on a blazar’s X-rays, which are emitted closer to the source of particle acceleration.

“Adding X-ray polarization to our arsenal of radio, infrared, and optical polarization is a game changer,” said Alan Marscher, an astronomer at Boston University who leads the group studying giant black holes with IXPE.

Scientists found that X-ray light is more polarized than optical, which is more polarized than radio. But the direction of the polarized light was the same for all the wavelengths of light observed and was also aligned with the jet’s direction.

After comparing their information with theoretical models, the team of astronomers realized that the data most closely matched a scenario in which a shock wave accelerates the jet particles. A shock wave is generated when something moves faster than the speed of sound of the surrounding material, such as when a supersonic jet flies by in our Earth’s atmosphere.

The study was not designed to investigate the origins of shock waves, which are still mysterious. But scientists hypothesize that a disturbance in the flow of the jet causes a section of it to become supersonic. This could result from high-energy particle collisions within the jet, or from abrupt pressure changes at the jet boundary.

“As the shock wave crosses the region, the magnetic field gets stronger, and energy of particles gets higher,” Marscher said. “The energy comes from the motion energy of the material making the shock wave.”

As particles travel outward, they emit X-rays first because they are extremely energetic. Moving farther outward, through the turbulent region farther from the location of the shock, they start to lose energy, which causes them to emit less-energetic light like optical and then radio waves. This is analogous to how the flow of water becomes more turbulent after it encounters a waterfall – but here, magnetic fields create this turbulence.

I don’t.

As they state, “The study was not designed to investigate the origins of shock waves, which are still mysterious. But scientists hypothesize that a disturbance in the flow of the jet causes a section of it to become supersonic. This could result from high-energy particle collisions within the jet, or from abrupt pressure changes at the jet boundary.”

So they haven’t really explained ANYTHING. They’ve just introduced a new gnome (whatever it is that causes the shock waves) and here they are again imagining water. :roll: Go ahead … look at the picture I linked from NASA's their website and try to convince me it explains anything. Certainly the article in Nature doesn't. It's just adds a gnome on top of a mystery and pretends they've understand what they see.

Maol

Re: Anybody here think this actually explains ANYTHING?

Unread post by Maol » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Do you have a hypothesis of your own, or will you gnomon and on and on and on .... ?

jackokie

Unread post by jackokie » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:42 pm

@Maol I predict @BAC's response will incorporate some reference to plasma, maybe in a cosmological framework, and perhaps refer to some guys named Talbot, Thornhill, or Scott. Just a hunch.
Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once.

Maol

Unread post by Maol » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:24 pm

Preaching to the choir, restate the obvious, a proven tactic whether it explains anything or not. The gnomists contend some cosmic ray particles move at a velocity so close to the speed of light that in 200,000 years a particle will only be behind a photon a half-inch. Seems unlikely a particle can travel several million light years and still retain that much velocity, so explain it. Is the particle squeezed out of a magnetic containment of some sort, like squeezing a tube of toothpaste? A cosmic linear accelerator? How can there be no resistance encountered from other cosmological plasma which is ubiquitous.

BeAChooser

Unread post by BeAChooser » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 am

Maol wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:02 pm Do you have a hypothesis of your own, or will you gnomon and on and on and on .... ?
First of all, whether I have a hypothesis or not, Maoi, I think it's important to point out that their claim they've "solved" a 40 year old black hole jet mystery rest SOLELY on a gnome ... a magical entity that appears out of nowhere to explain what they/we see. They admit they haven't a clue where this hypothesized shock comes from and invoke "turbulence" to explain just about everything they can't explain. In fact, to be perfectly honest, they don't even have a clue how a black hole produces jets in the first place ... given that their hypothesis depends entirely on frozen-in magnetic fields which Alfven himself said are nothing but pseudo-science.

The truth that needs to be spoken at every opportunity is that their model for the universe is a KLUGE of gnome after gnome stacked on one another. Their theories are deserving of ridicule, so calling them gnomes is my contribution to doing that. And why must I have hypothesis to replace theirs (although I do and it, as jackokie said, involves plasma and electromagnetism of course), since they aren't practicing science anyway. I think most of us on this forum believe they are cult with Big Bang and it's zoo of gnomes their religion. They worship them. I think we all realize by now that there is NOTHING that will convince them that their idols are false. So yes, I think I'll just keep pointing out the next gnome they invent, and the one after that, if necessary. Someone needs to do that dirty job.

Maol

Unread post by Maol » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:55 pm

Are you saying you do not have, or you will not offer, a hypothesis to explain an EU mechanism by which cosmic ray particles can be accelerated to a velocity so close to the speed of light and can maintain that velocity for billions of light years?

Continually criticizing 'mainstream' astronomy theories as mere dogma from a clique of insiders afraid of losing their funding, without offering a clear hypothesis for consideration as an alternate for the gnome's hypotheses, is merely self-perpetuating an EU gnome of your own.

If the EU deniers are not offered a reasonable alternate hypothesis to consider how will they ever learn?

To warp a metaphoric double-layer, it is easier to catch high energy particles with honey than with vinegar.

BeAChooser

Unread post by BeAChooser » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:51 pm

I don't think you read my post, Maol. I hate to be the one to tell you, but mainstream deniers have been trying honey for 60 years ... and look where they are? Stuck on some backwater forum where I, right now, am the most prolific poster. Where the top experts in PC and EU are posting fact and alternative filled videos on the internet ... that are basically ignored. That's rather scary, huh.

Maybe that's a sign the honey and *no politics* approach just ain't working?

And where in the universe is it written that one must elucidate an alternative to knock down the nonsense spouted by the mainstream? My point stands. Their theory is a KLUGE of gnome on top of gnome on top of gnome. You can't deny that. So maybe it's time to just shut the whole thing down? Maybe it's time to stop public funding of any astrophysics project that concerns things beyond the solar system. Because they aren't going to affect us in the near feature ... maybe forever.

In 60 years the mainstream has accomplished NOTHING of value to society that I can see, except fund great lives for the priesthood of this cult and the benefit of that is questionable. Maybe nothing is going to change until we just sweep away the old guard and the best way to do that is to just stop funding them. Government should not be funding this stuff. If someone wants to give these shysters their own money to fund their work ... fine. But neither I or you should be forced to pay for 60 more years of this garbage at a time like this.