Ah yes … using gnomes to fix gnomes. Or what passes for *science* these days …

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
BeAChooser

Ah yes … using gnomes to fix gnomes. Or what passes for *science* these days …

Unread post by BeAChooser » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:01 am

https://www.inverse.com/science/hot-den ... le-problem
A MYSTERIOUS KIND OF BLACK HOLE COULD SOLVE A MASSIVE COSMOLOGICAL PROBLEM

We know that many supermassive black holes formed early in the universe. For example, the quasar TON 618 is powered by a 66 billion solar mass black hole. Since its light travels nearly 11 billion years to reach us, TON 618 was already huge when the universe was just a few billion years old.
The truth is that they don’t *know* this. They infer it based on BELIEF in a bunch of gnomes.
So how did these black holes grow so massive so quickly?
Yes, a good question. Then the article mentions two ideas. The first they admit “can’t produce the kind of black holes we see in the early universe”. The second is a gnome that they claim could be detected through a particular “radio signature.” But …
Unfortunately, these high-redshift radio sources can’t be seen by current radio telescopes. But they should be bright enough to be detected by the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) and the proposed next-generation Very Large Array (ngVLA).
I knew it! I knew it! I just knew they were going to put their hands out and demand more money … lots more money so they can detect this gnome’s *signature*. How much? Well the SKA, which is now under construction (with observations beginning no earlier than 2027) had a projected cost of 1.8 billion euros in 2014! Hardly peanuts. And the cost of the ngVLA they want to build? Their FAQ (https://ngvla.nrao.edu/page/faq) says the current estimate is $1.9 billion 2018 dollars, $2.25 billion risk adjusted, with an operating cost of nearly $100 million a year. That’s some serious cash … just to learn something that probably won't affect/improve the world one iota (other than buy more houses, cars, vacations, etc for these gnome believers). Just saying.

BeAChooser

Re: Ah yes … using gnomes to fix gnomes. Or what passes for *science* these days …

Unread post by BeAChooser » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:20 pm

I'm curious folks.

Can ANYONE out there tell me what information they'll supposedly learn from these two instruments is worth $4-5 billion dollars?

What problem here on earth are they going to solve or fix?