forum symbols mystery

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.
Open Mind

forum symbols mystery

Unread post by Open Mind » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:41 pm

question;

What exactly do the symbols mean on the forums so I can finally figure this out.
red circle with flames
red circle with lines
circle with gray flames
plus the bunch of other little symbols. Is there a list somewhere that explains them?

nick c

Re: forum symbols mystery

Unread post by nick c » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:48 pm

hi Open Mind,
I am not sure about what symbols to which you are referring.

If it is the symbols before each thread on the list of threads for each board, than that is mostly an indicator of if you have opened the post or not. If you put your cursor (if you are on a computer) on the (red circle with red waves) it will read "unread posts" or (the gray cricle with gray waves) "no unread posts". There also are other symbols that indicate if a thread is locked or if it is a "sticky", which means it will always be at the top of the list.

There are couple of others I cannot think of right now.

But frankly, I don't pay much attention to them.

Open Mind

Unread post by Open Mind » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:30 pm

That's what I was asking about, yes.

I didn't even know about the hover the cursor trick. But its not as telling as I hoped. There’s lines, flames, a lightbulb symbol, a green smiley face symbol, a lock symbol, etc. The red circle with lines AND the red circle with flames both say ‘unread posts’.

I know its not a critical point, but I've always been curious and just assumed if it was to serve any purpose for anyone, there might be a glossary of images somewhere, but couldn't find anything. No biggie if it doesn't exist. Just curious.

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:01 am

When you sign in to the forum and go to the "Quick links" tab in the upper left under the red thunderbolts.info label, and click on "new posts" in the drop down menu and you will bring up a line up of red highlighted posts made since the last time you were on the forum. Running your cursor over these will bring up a "unread posts" message.

After you have read all of the posts in the line up, they will still be marked as "unread posts" when you go back to the list, until you go back to the Quick Links tab and reclick on "new posts" in the drop down menu. Then the list will appear as the blue or gray and when you run your cursor over it will read, "There are no new unread posts for this topic".