Posting Images and other Forum Problems

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.
nickc

Posting Images and other Forum Problems

Unread post by nickc » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:16 pm

TEST....I am logged out, but am still able to post.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: test post

Unread post by davesmith_au » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:21 am

Yeah I'm trying to fix that, permissions have all been set correctly (I think) so I'm still trying to nut that one out. We'll have to put up with a bit of spam in the meantime... reminds me of a Monty Python skit...

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:43 am

Hi Dave,
See my PM. I made a change in the ACP and I think it will now be very difficult for a Guest to make a post.
I describe what I did in the PM. It should work as a temporary fix.
Nick

nickc

Unread post by nickc » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:14 pm

test 123

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:26 pm

test 123

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:58 am

Image testing:

Aurora Borealis plasma instability by Todd Salat.

Can others view the image?

If so, then the PHPBB code is working:

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2djcwzs7f8mrtp/braids-of-light-salat.jpg?raw=1[/img]

Do not set images as an attachment (I believe that is a moderator/admin only function anyway); they must be imbedded code linked to an outside host/source.

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:55 am

Hi JP,
I can see it.
Do not set images as an attachment (I believe that is a moderator/admin only function anyway);
I am not sure of that. I am a member (registered user) of another phpBB forum which looks the same as this. I am not sure if it is the same version, but I have posted images as attachments there with no problems.

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 am

I thought this might be a good place for this post:
The date/time, on top of the forum page, when logged in is correct.
When not logged in, the date time is seven hours ahead.
Just pointing this out.
Jack

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Sorry,
I did not see the private message in time; that all guests are on UTC time.
Thanks Dave.
Thanks Nick
Jack

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:55 pm

No problem Jack, others may have noticed it too, and if they read this post, they'll know why :D
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007

allynh

Question on, Posting of Images/pictures

Unread post by allynh » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:39 pm

- Are we no longer able to upload images the way we did on the old Forum.

I've looked at the FAQ page and it says:
Can I post images?

Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.
As JP Michael showed above, you can post an img if you have a link to some web site, so that does work.

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 pm

As i said above, attachments are a moderator-only function at the moment. If admin want us to be able to upload attachments, i think that permission needs to be enabled for registered users as well; it is not a default setting.

I actually prefer to use the BB code because i can store all my jpgs nicely organised in my dropbox. Enforcing off-site img storage will also reduce this forum size, one of the reasons we ended up here in v3.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: Question on, Posting of Images/pictures

Unread post by davesmith_au » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:44 pm

allynh wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:39 pm - Are we no longer able to upload images the way we did on the old Forum.

I've looked at the FAQ page and it says:
Can I post images?

Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.
As JP Michael showed above, you can post an img if you have a link to some web site, so that does work.
OK allynh, I THINK I have fixed the image issue, you should now see an attachments tab when posting. Please note, there are some restrictions.

Images should be no larger than 512 Kbi each. Max width is 800px, max height is 600px.

Best, Dave.

kmcook

Deleteing older notifications

Unread post by kmcook » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:17 am

When I have set Notifications ON for a topic, and then wish to keep the topic Notifications active but delete the older notifications, how do I do it?

I mark them as READ but they remain in the Notification box at next login - I can't find the way to delete the READ notifications so that I only see unread notifications at next visit.

Clues anyone?

kmcook

Deleting Notifications - resolved

Unread post by kmcook » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:06 am

Answering my own question on deleting Notifications.
I was using Notifications in a way the phpBB folks didn't intend.

Trawling phpBB forums I found...

1. A standard user cannot delete notifications received.

2. To keep track of selected topics, and new activity on them, don't set a notification. Use the email if you want an alert.

3. If alerts of new posts etc. aren't wanted, use the bookmark feature in 'Topic tools' at head of topic page. Then from your personal control panel you can use the bookmarks to jump to selected topics - tout suite!