Posting Images and other Forum Problems

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.
Robertus Maximus

Re: Question on, Posting of Images/pictures

Unread post by Robertus Maximus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm

allynh wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:39 pm - Are we no longer able to upload images the way we did on the old Forum.

I've looked at the FAQ page and it says:
Can I post images?

Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.
As JP Michael showed above, you can post an img if you have a link to some web site, so that does work.
As of 2020-02-03 17:30 GMT, I am still unable to upload images via the 'Attachments' tab as I was able to do in the v2.0 Forum. I have tried various file formats and attempted to upload an image previously uploaded on a v2.0 Forum thread with no luck.
Not everyone may wish to use a publicly accessible web server.
Just a thought...

JP Michael

Re: test post

Unread post by JP Michael » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:42 pm

Image attachment test:

Fig. 1. Doppler Radar 'Zone of Cancellation'
download.png
[Edit] yes, img attachments are not working right now.
download.png

Im getting an error message attached to this post:

"You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post."

I tested posting outside of the announcement forum and it is the same. Mods will need to tweak attachment permissions in the ACP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zyxzevn

Bug report

Unread post by Zyxzevn » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:34 am

If I click on top-left link "thunderbolts.info"
I go to the old forum.
I think it would look best to have links to "thunderbolts.info" and to the new forum.
Maybe looking like buttons:
[Thunderbolts.info] [ Forum]
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@

nick c

Re: test post

Unread post by nick c » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:38 am

It probably would be best if the red "thunderbolts.info" logo should, when clicked, sends you to the Thunderbolts Homepage. There already is a link to v2.0 below the logo, so using the logo as another v2.0 link is redundant.

Phorce

Forum problems

Unread post by Phorce » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:07 am

Hi,

Could not find a dedicated forum section for this. I just had problems posting a GIF and the forum kept on saying it could not find the image dimensions. So I tried to upload but the upload size is very low, around 600K. Also the forum is a bit antiquated although I appreciate thunderbolts has limited time and resources. These days it’s expected that you can post social media links and an automatic preview would come up and all this kind of thing. There’s some much more advanced forum options these days, many of them free, the names escape me but I’ll try and come back with them ! :)
Exploration and discovery without honest investigation of "extraordinary" results leads to a Double Bind (Bateson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind ) that creates loss of hope and depression. No more Double Binds !

nick c

Re: Forum problems

Unread post by nick c » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:47 pm

This has come up before. I will eventually merge this thread with that.
I have been informed by the people who run the technical side of this forum that images cannot be posted.
The setting is that only Administrators can post images, it is built into the forum and cannot be changed. As an Adminsitrator or Moderator I cannot change it, and apparently nobody can.
I can post images but only other Administrators can see them, so that is pretty much useless.