Out with the old, in with the new...

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.
davesmith_au
Site Admin

Out with the old, in with the new...

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:50 pm

Welcome!

As of 2020/01/01 The Thunderbolts Project(TM) has a new forum, v3.0

Those who have been around here long enough will remember that in 2008, the very first Thunderbolts Forum fell over, and was lost to the aether for eternity.

Of necessity we started out again In March 2008, and although not numbered as such that forum was colloquially referred to as v2.0 It has served us well, but to avoid oversized database tables slowing down the works, it was decided that we would need a new one as of 2020, hence v3.0.

v2.0 is now moth-balled as a read-only archive, containing all posts from mid March 2008 until the end of 2019, and is available to read here.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Solar

Re: Out with the old, in with the new...

Unread post by Solar » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Hat tip and Thank you; to you Dave. Throughout all of the ups and downs of the forum's history you've steadily cranked on all of the nuts and bolts that have kept the forum and main website going. I only vaguely remember when you started learning HTMl, CSS etc and I see that your sense of determination is still going. Well done good Sir.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

Cargo

Unread post by Cargo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Happy New Year and many cheers to the TB staff. Thank you.
interstellar filaments conducted electricity having currents as high as 10 thousand billion amperes
"You know not what. .. Perhaps you no longer trust your feelings,." Michael Clarage
"Charge separation prevents the collapse of stars." Wal Thornhill

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:15 am

@davesmith_au

Don't forget to readjust forum registration and posting permissions to something similar on the old forum, whatever your anti-bot countermeasures were. The bot-spamming has already begun!

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:44 pm

JP Michael wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:15 am @davesmith_au

Don't forget to readjust forum registration and posting permissions to something similar on the old forum, whatever your anti-bot countermeasures were. The bot-spamming has already begun!
Indeed.

Very strange behaviour from a couple of IP addresses, in the name of "Guest" and also a dodgy username, "Joshuasplit", whose details showed as a Guest.

But I THINK I might have left a door slightly ajar, when I set up the new board and merged the database info from 2.0 to 3.0. I've since slammed that door shut so I hope it's done the trick. Gotta keep on top of the spambots!

Best, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Solar wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:09 pm Hat tip and Thank you; to you Dave. Throughout all of the ups and downs of the forum's history you've steadily cranked on all of the nuts and bolts that have kept the forum and main website going. I only vaguely remember when you started learning HTMl, CSS etc and I see that your sense of determination is still going. Well done good Sir.
Thanks Solar, yep I remember when I first started (back on 1.0! IIRC you were on that forum too!) and having the mantra "Six months ago I could not even spell HTML" or similar. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then!

Thanks for the kudos, Dave.

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:22 am

@davesmith_au

I would like to point out a current login glitch. Anyone who has logged out of the forum is currently unable to login because all site visitors are automatically logged in to the "Guest" profile. It is not possible to log out of this "Guest" profile, thus not possible to ever login to the forum using an registered username. Moreover, the "Guest" profile cannot view any of the forums/posts, so anyone unable to log-in (ie., everyone) cannot view any forum for advice or help either.

Fortunately I never log out of the forum on my PC, but I did notice this specific problem when attempting to login via mobile.

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:07 am

Hi JP,
I sent Dave a PM this morning. The PM has not been opened yet.
I discovered it late yesterday when I tried to sign in on a different laptop. There was no way to sign in.
Hopefully, we can get this ironed out.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:36 am

Yikes!!! Ok guys, just got back to my computer now, gotta investigate.

Dave.

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:50 am

If you need any additional assistance, I was a moderator on another PHPBB board and I am still in contact with some very expert, professional and helpful PHPBB administrators I can contact for you if there is a need for additional ideas regarding PHPBB anti bot-spam measures, including how to incorporate them smoothly.

Please note that, other than possessing advanced moderator PHPBB functionality knowledge, I am otherwise unable to assist with back-end coding and administrative matters, neither do I have any (current) inclination to volunteer in a moderator capacity on this forum.

Cheers,
JP.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:54 pm

OK all, I think I licked the problem!

BTW JP, I appreciate the offer. It's really difficult going through a member to a third party (waiting for responses,etc.) but I was darn close to asking!

Turns out it was something I did the other day... :oops: I had a hunch that was the case, but I had to do a lot of nutting out to find it.

Anyhow, all is fixed (fingers crossed) and I hope forgiven :D

Dave.
Thunderbolts Forum Administrator and occasional buggeruperer.

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:46 pm

The login icon has reappeared for the guest account, so i daresay your tinkering has worked (currently logged in via mobile platform).

I will keep my eye out for other glitches and bugs as i use the forum and report anything i find.

GuessWho

Unread post by GuessWho » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:43 am

All the posts from the older forums should be able to be imported to the newer BBS.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 am

GuessWho wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:43 am All the posts from the older forums should be able to be imported to the newer BBS.
The whole point of the exercise was to start anew WITHOUT bringing along over 100,000 posts.

You can reference them, link to them copy snippets and paste them here if need be.