A new year

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.
jacmac

A new year

Unread post by jacmac » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 am

Happy new year forum people.
Now to figure out how to go back and forward, the easy way ?, from V2.0 to V3.0
Is there an easy way ?
One might like to make reference to old stuff.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: A new year

Unread post by davesmith_au » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 am

jacmac wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 am Happy new year forum people.
Now to figure out how to go back and forward, the easy way ?, from V2.0 to V3.0
Is there an easy way ?
One might like to make reference to old stuff.
Yes there is, well it's easy-ish :lol:

If you open two browser windows, and have one each side of your screen, you can have one on v2.0 and one on v3.0.

All v2.0 forums and posts are still linkable (as read-only). Hover over a topic or post name, right click and "Copy Link Address" or whatever.Then paste the link into your new (3.0) post like this random post taken from v2.0.

It's fairly easy, and I'm sure most users will crack onto it pretty well.

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:48 am

Now take a look at the menu top left of the board! :o :shock: :? :mrgreen: :geek:
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 am

Dave,
Thanks for putting in the many hours of work to make 3.0 possible without losing the previous 11 years of postings and transferring the memberships.
Much appreciated!

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 am

Of course I realized that after my post.
My new year resolution is to be less impulsive.
And I second nic c's comment.
Jack

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:37 pm

nick c wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 am Dave,
Thanks for putting in the many hours of work to make 3.0 possible without losing the previous 11 years of postings and transferring the memberships.
Much appreciated!
jacmac wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 am Of course I realized that after my post.
My new year resolution is to be less impulsive.
:D :D :D
jacmac wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 amAnd I second nic c's comment.
Jack
No problem, glad to help :)

JP Michael

Unread post by JP Michael » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:31 am

davesmith_au wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 amHover over a topic or post name, right click and "Copy Link Address" or whatever.Then paste the link into your new (3.0) post like this random post taken from v2.0.
@jacmac

If you want to hotlink a specific post from 2.0, find the post and click on the Private Message icon (the 'speech bubble' underneath their avatar image) on the left of screen for that post's author (including yourself!).

This will open a PM screen with the entire post quoted and a direct hotlink at the top. Copy the hotlink and/or the portion you want to quote and paste it in your 3.0 thread.

This is what I have been using to quote/hotlink specific posts from the 2.0 board because, being read-only, 2.0 boards will not allow the use of the normal "quote" icon.

Zyxzevn

Unread post by Zyxzevn » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Happy new year.
Finally the forum works for me. :)
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:49 am

JP Michael wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:31 am
davesmith_au wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 amHover over a topic or post name, right click and "Copy Link Address" or whatever.Then paste the link into your new (3.0) post like this random post taken from v2.0.
@jacmac

If you want to hotlink a specific post from 2.0, find the post and click on the Private Message icon (the 'speech bubble' underneath their avatar image) on the left of screen for that post's author (including yourself!).

This will open a PM screen with the entire post quoted and a direct hotlink at the top. Copy the hotlink and/or the portion you want to quote and paste it in your 3.0 thread.

This is what I have been using to quote/hotlink specific posts from the 2.0 board because, being read-only, 2.0 boards will not allow the use of the normal "quote" icon.
It's easier than that, JP. To reference a particular post from v2.0, just right-click on the heading of that particular post, select "Copy link address". Then in your v3.0 post, just paste the copied link address from your clipboard, and enclose it with url tags.

From a recent post:

https://www.thunderbolts.info/forum/php ... 22#p129506

or like this! which is a post in a HUGE long thread from 2014, halfway down the page.

To quote:
Post by MattEU » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:59 am

Sort of related and hope this helps but when you have mist over the water you can get mist devils or stream devils

http://fox41blogs.typepad.com/wdrb_weat ... omena.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_devil
http://earthsky.org/todays-image/steam- ... ke-wyoming

One person noticed that the mist devils are stronger near the shore and he spotted them mostly in the still mornings.
In this case, I have simply copied the text from the post, up to and including "Post by MattEU » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:59 am", pasted it into my new post, and then highlighted the part of the post I wanted to quote (or the lot, if necessary) and enclose the highlighted bit in quote tags (the " next to underline) and hey presto, you have a quote with author and time/date stamp. The image does not show, it's replaced with the word "Image".

Brigit

Unread post by Brigit » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:56 am

I don't like to be a stickler about terms, but it is actually a new decade!

BB
test

nick c

Unread post by nick c » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:15 pm

It depends. I like the reasoning that since there was no year zero, than 2020 is the last year of a decade and 2021 will be the first year of the next decade.

Brigit

Unread post by Brigit » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:44 pm

by nick c » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:15 pm
It depends. I like the reasoning that since there was no year zero, than 2020 is the last year of a decade and 2021 will be the first year of the next decade.
I would like to think that too, that way I don't have to wonder what happened to the last decade!
Aaand, I have one more beautiful year to get everything done that needed to get done. (: Cheers to all, and thanks for the nice forum you've created, Dave.

I still can't sign in, but it really is me. It's not an imposter.

Last bumped by Guest on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:44 pm.