What is nothing?

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light? If you have a personal favorite theory, that is in someway related to the Electric Universe, this is where it can be posted.
crawler

What is nothing?

Unread post by crawler » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:28 am

What is nothing.
10:20. Neil deGrasse Tyson says if there is nothing in a say box then there is no time in the box.
Neil fails to say whether the box would be empty if it had a photon passing throo. Or a say radio signal.
But i will assume that there are no photons or radio signals etc in the box.
So, does time exist in that box?
In a sense the answer is no. Koz, there is no such thing as time.
We don’t have time as such, but what we have is the speed of processes, ie the ticking of processes.
Ticking exists if a process exists.
If there is no process going on in that box then there is no ticking in that box.

Aethorists know that aether fills all of space etc.
Photons & radio signals are an excitation of the aether.
Aether flows throo that box, & the flow is called the aetherwind.
The acceleration of the aetherwind gives us gravitational mass & gravitational inertia.
Changes in the acceleration of the aetherwind gives us Newtonian gravity waves.

The aether flow/wind is a process. And that process has a rate, alltho its not a ticking, however the rate does change or can change (due to influences outside the box). And in that sense there is a ticking of sorts in that box. Actually, that ticking is gravity. There is gravity in every box. And gravity waves.

So, the empty box contains aether & aetherwind & gravity (the ticking of changes in the aetherwind bulk flow), & gravity waves (the ticking of the changes in the gravity). But the empty box duznt contain any time.

And we can ignore krappy spacetime (anyhow Neil duznt mention spacetime).
And we can ignore krappy virtual particles.
And we can ignore krappy Dark Energy & Dark Matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcYPL3s2Mmw
Neil deGrasse Tyson Explains Nothing
1,056,068 views Jun 24, 2020 StarTalk 1.52M subscribers
"In this StarTalk video, we’re talking about nothing. Not in the Seinfeldian sense, but in the science sense. What is nothing? Neil explains how our usual definition of something being “nothing” is dictated by our senses.

What if you wanted to get all the way down to true nothing? Well, even when there’s nothing, there’s air molecules, and a lot of them. So, what happens when you take out the air molecules? Find out just how much air molecules permeate in our environment, in our solar system, in interstellar space, and intergalactic space.

Then, just when you think you truly have nothing, you’ll hear how quantum physics comes into play. Discover more about virtual particles and why the best “nothing” you could have is filled with virtual particles. All that, plus, we debate if being able to describe something that is nothing makes it something."
STR is krapp -- & GTR is mostly krapp.
The present Einsteinian Dark Age of science will soon end – for the times they are a-changin'.
The aether will return – it never left.

jacmac

Re: What is nothing?

Unread post by jacmac » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Crawler:
I agree there is no THING that we call time.
Similar to; there are no THINGS that we call inches, feet, or dimensions.
I have never tried to understand aether.
Is there a good place to start looking into aether ?

crawler

Unread post by crawler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:21 am

jacmac wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:00 pm Crawler:
I agree there is no THING that we call time.
Similar to; there are no THINGS that we call inches, feet, or dimensions.
I have never tried to understand aether.
Is there a good place to start looking into aether ?
I agree with fellows that say that the only time is the present instant, & that this instant is universal.
But processes have a rate, a ticking, which we (can) measure (using a standard process)(eg a clock) & we call every new present instant "time".
Time cant dilate, but tickings can be affected by aetherwind, & by the nearness of mass.

Me myself i like the idea of the fundamental essence being what i call praether.
Aether is then an excitation of praether.
Praether cant be created nor annihilated.
But aether can be created & annihilated, koz aether isnt a thing, its a process.
Things cant be created or annihilated, but processes can.
Annihilating a process is what i call a soft annihilation (soft in the sense that it wouldnt need a miracle).
Annihilating praether would be a hard annihilation (probly breaking lots of laws).

The best way of looking into aether might be to firstly google Conrad Ranzan's DSSU website.
http://www.cellularuniverse.org/
He has written lots of papers, almost all ovem deal with aether.
Click on "Published Articles".
One ovem deals with the history of aether theories.

Here is a good link also.
http://mountainman.com.au/aether.html

Demjanov's twin media MMX aetherwind measurement is mind blowing.
https://www.researchgate.net/scientific ... v-81814244

Google Prof Reg Cahill & his Process Physics. He derived a proper calibration for oldendays MMXs. He has about 40 good papers. But he calls it quantum foam or dynamic space.

I have over 58,000 papers etc in my computer's science section, many re aether (or ether)(ether tends to be preferred in the em areas)(i dont like ether). I might use the original æther instead of aether.

This week i have been googling Newton's aether.

U will come across the notion of a contractile aether. Ranzan says that aether has to be contractile if we are to derive sensible equations for gravity. Ranzan calls this self-dissipation. Which he says is caused by aether tension. Which i dont understand.
Cahill also i think derives equations for gravity needing a contractile aether. But lately i havent been able to find that word in his writings.
I suspect that aether does not have to be contractile.
Last edited by crawler on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The present Einsteinian Dark Age of science will soon end – for the times they are a-changin'.

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:41 am

Thankyou.

crawler

Unread post by crawler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:03 am

10:20. Neil deGrasse Tyson says if there is nothing in a say box then there is no time in the box.

I just realised.
If Neil is correct, that there is no time in an empty volume, then how can Einsteinian gravity waves propagate throo empty space.
Koz (silly) GWs are a transverse wiggle of (silly) spacetime. Space cant wiggle on its own.

If there is say 1 m tween electrons or hydrogen atoms etc in deep outer space, then an extension of Neil's idea suggests that there is no time in some of that 1 m.
I suppose that he would answer that every cubic metre of space contains photons (neutrinos are photons) or radio waves (radio waves are not photons), & i suppose that he would say that that is enough to support GWs.

If Neil doesnt invoke the photon gambit then that leaves the way open for us to ask -- at what (electron etc) spacings does time exist or not exist.

The problem goes away when u admit that there is no such thing as time.
But then Einsteinists will have no spacetime to play with.

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:59 pm

crawler:
I agree.
If time is not a THING, then spacetime is not a THING.
The bending of spacetime is always illustrated as a sheet of space bending.
You can "bend" a sheet of almost any THING that is thin or restricted in one dimension.
It bends into the space where it is not.
But how do you bend something into itself when it is supposed to be everywhere ?
And what about the area or volume the bent space was; the place it was bent out of ?
Is there no space there now ?
It makes no sense to me.

crawler

Unread post by crawler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:12 pm

We should not be too critical of Neil & Co.
They are trapped in the Einsteinian mafia world.
They have to make a living.
We are presently in the Einsteinian Dark Age of science.
But the times they are a-changin'.
The aether will return -- it never left.

crawler

Unread post by crawler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:47 pm

jacmac wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:59 pm crawler:
I agree.
If time is not a THING, then spacetime is not a THING.
The bending of spacetime is always illustrated as a sheet of space bending.
You can "bend" a sheet of almost any THING that is thin or restricted in one dimension.
It bends into the space where it is not.
But how do you bend something into itself when it is supposed to be everywhere ?
And what about the area or volume the bent space was; the place it was bent out of ?
Is there no space there now ?
It makes no sense to me.
Spacetime makes my brain hurt.
Einsteinists cant agree among themselves. Thats koz Einstein couldnt agree amongst hizself over the years.
Einsteinists continually & continuously disagree re
......whether a string joining 2 spaceships will break as they accelerate.
......Whether length actually contracts.
......Whether the glass of the LIGO lasers resists length contraction when a GW passes.
.......Whether gravity is a force.
.......Whether gravity carries energy & has mass.
.......Whether gravity acts instantaneously at a distance (IAAAD).
........Whether a light beam passing the Sun is straight, but only appears bent due to bending of spacetime.
.........How the obvious lack of equivalence in an elevator can be ignored.
.........Whether velocity affects mass, ie what does rest mass mean.
..........Whether a gravity wave carries energy.
...........An answer to the Twins Paradox. The TP kills spacetime. The attempts to fix it fail horrifically. But we dont need to go into that today.

Google Peter Sujak. He has about 11 papers mostly about Einstein & a couple are really good they mention aether.
Einstein’s Destruction of Physics and Scientific Principles.
https://www.gsjournal.net/Science-Journ ... nload/6907
Einstein’s repudiation of his own theory of relativity after 1920.
https://vixra.org/pdf/1704.0352v2.pdf

Einsteinian relativity STR & GTR is based on time dilation, which is based on their peculiar method of synchronizing their clocks in their gedankens.
Even their length contraction is based on time dilation only.

Einsteinists would have a war amongst themselves re what is or isnt inside an empty box.
Or what is nothing.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:57 pm

Electromagnetism is a property of spacetime itself, study finds
Imagine if we could use strong electromagnetic fields to manipulate the local properties of spacetime—this could have important ramifications in terms of science and engineering.
https://sciencex.com/news/2021-07-elect ... etime.html

Spacetime or Akasha?
“I think 99 times and find nothing. I stop thinking, swim in silence, and the truth comes to me.” -Albert Einstein

crawler

Unread post by crawler » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:26 pm

Electromagnetism is a property of spacetime itself, study finds
July 23, 2021 by Jussi Lindgren and Jukka Liukkonen
https://sciencex.com/news/2021-07-elect ... etime.html

Imagine if we could use strong electromagnetic fields to manipulate the local properties of spacetime—this could have important ramifications in terms of science and engineering.

Electromagnetism has always been a subtle phenomenon. In the 19th century, scholars thought that electromagnetic waves must propagate in some sort of elusive medium, which was called aether. Later, the aether hypothesis was abandoned, and to this day, the classical theory of electromagnetism does not provide us with a clear answer to the question in which medium electric and magnetic fields propagate in vacuum. On the other hand, the theory of gravitation is rather well understood. General relativity explains that energy and mass tell the spacetime how to curve and spacetime tells masses how to move. Many eminent mathematical physicists have tried to understand electromagnetism directly as a consequence of general relativity. The brilliant mathematician Hermann Weyl had especially interesting theories in this regard. The Serbian inventor Nikola Tesla thought that electromagnetism contains essentially everything in our universe. So what is the mutual relationship of electromagnetism and gravitation? We provide one possible explanation to the riddle.

Maxwell's equations and general relativity—what are these all about?

Maxwell's equations are the key linear partial differential equations that describe classical electromagnetism. The equations relate the electromagnetic field to currents and charges. On the other hand, in general relativity, the Einstein field equation is a set of nonlinear partial differential equations describing how the metric of spacetime evolves, given some conditions, such as mass density in the spacetime. Both equations are ultimately of second order, if seen properly.

Therefore, we thought that perhaps we are talking about the same governing equation, which could describe both electromagnetism and gravitation. Indeed, it becomes clear that Maxwell's equations hide inside the Einstein field equations of general relativity. The metric tensor of spacetime tells us how lengths determine in spacetime. The metric tensor also thus determines the curvature properties of spacetime. Curvature is what we feel as "force." In addition, energy and curvature relate to each other through the Einstein field equations. Test particles follow what are called geodesics—the shortest paths in the spacetime.

The missing link

The link between general relativity and electromagnetism becomes clear by assuming that the so-called four-potential of electromagnetism directly determines the metrical properties of the spacetime. In particular, our research shows how electromagnetism is an inherent property of spacetime itself. In a way, spacetime itself is therefore the aether. Electric and magnetic fields represent certain local tensions or twists in the spacetime fabric. Our research shows that the Lagrangian of electrodynamics is just the Einstein-Hilbert action of general relativity; it reveals how Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism are an optimality condition for the metric of spacetime to be sufficiently flat. As Einstein's theory of general relativity provides that the metric is optimal in a sense, electromagnetism is hidden in the nonlinear differential equations of general relativity. On the other hand, this means that general relativity is a generalized theory of nonlinear electromagnetism.

Geometrization of the material world

John Wheeler, the famous physicist, put forward the idea that all of the material world is constructed from the geometry of the spacetime. Our research strongly supports this kind of natural philosophy. It means that the material world always corresponds to some geometric structures of spacetime. Tensions in spacetime manifest themselves as electric and magnetic fields. Moreover, electric charge relates to some compressibility properties of spacetime. Electric current seems to be a re-balancing object, which transports charge in order to keep the spacetime manifold Ricci-flat. This is aesthetically pleasing, as nature seems to strive for harmony, efficiency and simplicity.

Riemann curvature tensor is more than just Ricci curvature—electromagnetic fields stretch and bend the spacetime

Although our theory shows that Maxwell's equations are a condition for the spacetime to be Ricci-flat, electromagnetic fields do seem to cause special curvature in spacetime nevertheless. The relevant curvature is what is known in differential geometry as the Weyl curvature. Weyl curvature in spacetime is the local curving of spacetime in such a way that locally, volumes are preserved. It is a special kind of stretching and bending of spacetime.

Conclusions

We believe that empirical research on this topic is important. This means measuring the local curvature of spacetime when there are strong electromagnetic fields present. Perhaps one could use, e.g., superconducting coils and laser light to measure any deviations in the fabric of spacetime. Artificial modifying of spacetime could have extensive benefits in the field of engineering, for example. Finally, it is worth mentioning that our approach has the benefit of simplicity—we do not need extra dimensions, torsion tensors, asymmetric metric tensors or the like.

This story is part of Science X Dialog, where researchers can report findings from their published research articles. Visit this page for information about ScienceX Dialog and how to participate.

More information: Jussi Lindgren et al., Maxwell's equations from spacetime geometry and the role of Weyl curvature, Journal of Physics: Conference Series (2021), doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1956/1/012017
Bio: Jussi Lindgren is finishing his D.Sc. degree at Aalto University, Espoo, Finland and Jukka Liukkonen holds a PhD in applied physics, he works full-time at Nuclear and Radiation Safety Authority, STUK, Helsinki, Finland.

crawler

Unread post by crawler » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:50 pm

Curvature is what we feel as "force."
In particular, our research shows how electromagnetism is an inherent property of spacetime itself.
In a way, spacetime itself is therefore the aether.
Electric and magnetic fields represent certain local tensions or twists in the spacetime fabric.
an optimality condition for the metric of spacetime to be sufficiently flat.
the material world is constructed from the geometry of the spacetime.
Tensions in spacetime manifest themselves as electric and magnetic fields.
Moreover, electric charge relates to some compressibility properties of spacetime.
Electric current seems to be a re-balancing object, which transports charge in order to keep the spacetime manifold Ricci-flat.
electromagnetic fields stretch and bend the spacetime
electromagnetic fields do seem to cause special curvature in spacetime nevertheless.
Weyl curvature in spacetime is the local curving of spacetime in such a way that locally, volumes are preserved.
It is a special kind of stretching and bending of spacetime.
This means measuring the local curvature of spacetime when there are strong electromagnetic fields present.

Curvature is what we feel as "force."
Electric and magnetic fields represent certain local tensions or twists in the spacetime fabric.
an optimality condition for the metric of spacetime to be sufficiently flat.
Tensions in spacetime manifest themselves as electric and magnetic fields.
Moreover, electric charge relates to some compressibility properties of spacetime.
Electric current seems to be a re-balancing object, which transports charge in order to keep the spacetime manifold Ricci-flat.
electromagnetic fields stretch and bend the spacetime
electromagnetic fields do seem to cause special curvature in spacetime nevertheless.
volumes are preserved.
It is a special kind of stretching and bending of spacetime.

Curvature.
Tensions.
Twists.
Flat metric.
Compressibility.
Re-balancing.
Stretch.
Bend.
Special curvature.
Volumes are preserved.
A special kind of stretching & bending.

MY COMMENTS.
They have most of the possible bases & ings covered.
Twisting tensioning stretching compressing balancing bending curving.

They don’t mention any kind of vibration, or excitation, or pulsation.
I always wondered how Einsteinists might accommodate vibrations etc in their silly spacetime.
But they leapfrogged me & went straight to twisting of spacetime.
Foiled again.

crawler

Unread post by crawler » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:26 am

The Nature of Nothing | Space Time
Matt removes particles & radiation & gravity from his spacetime.
Most of his footage is about QFT, ie virtual particles, & zero point energy.
Matt said that in empty space there is a field for every elementary particle.
I didn’t learn anything worthwhile here i think.
But there was one interesting idea.

Empty space aint empty unless it is at absolute zero temperature.
How can empty space have a temperature?
I suppose that virtual particles must have a temperature.

The Nature of Nothing | Space Time
1,858,847 viewsOct 20, 2017 PBS Space Time 2.37M subscribers Written and Hosted by Matt O'Dowd
It turns out that "nothing" is one of the most interesting somethings in all of physics.
Note: There is a correction in this video that has been addressed in the pinned comment below.

How do we study nothing? An empty jar still contains something: molecules of air and a bath of infrared light from its warm environment. But what if we suck out every last molecule of air, chill the jar to absolute zero, and shield it from all external radiation? The jar would contain only empty space, but it turns out that empty space is far from nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5rAGfjPSWE

crawler

Unread post by crawler » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:15 am

I see that Sabine (youtube below) mentions 9 levels of nothing.
My latest version of my thorts re nothing are below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhfqdBk8qxk&t=666s
What is "Nothing"? 397,960 views Sep 24, 2022 Sabine Hossenfelder
571K subscribers Comments 6.3K gastronic Imagine half a million members coming here for nothing. 6,353 Comments

Crawler.................
Praether is the fundamental essence. A praethon is a unit of praether.
Aether is an excitation of praether. An aethon is a unit of excitation.
A photon is an excitation of aether together with an annihilation of aether, the annihilation propagating at the speed of light c. The excitation too propagates at c.
Electromagnetic radiation (aka radio waves) is emitted by a photon – em radiation is actually a part of a photon – the other part being the helical central part.
Electrons & other elementary particles are free photons that have formed loops (becoming confined photons).
Atoms are a combination of elementary particles.
Everything that we see & feel in our infinite eternal universe is due to forces arising from processes.
The only thing that is a proper thing is the praether, all else is processes.
Praether (ie praethons) fills all space, all the time. But there might be empty space between praethons.

There is no such thing as spacetime. There is no such thing as time, time is an illusion. What we have is the present instant, & this instant is universal.

So, there are five kinds of "thing" that exist or can exist at any place – Praether – Aether – Photons – EM Radiation (emitted by photons) –Elementary Particles (confined photons).

Gravity (& gravitational mass) is due to a force arising from the bulk acceleration of aether flowing into photons where aether is annihilated – the inflow streamlines converge in 2 dimensions – in the case of a confined photon the inflow streamlines converge in 3 dimensions – the acceleration acts on any photon or elementary particle.

Inertia (& inertial mass) is the reverse of gravity – the acceleration of any particle is resisted by the aether – or i should say that the resistance is due to the inertia of other mass in that part of the cosmos – the massless aether being merely the messenger.