What did Einstein actually say?

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?
justafool

What did Einstein actually say?

Unread post by justafool » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 am

I recall reading somewhere that Einstein, later in life, admitted that SR uses a hidden preferred frame of reference, or in other words, an absolute imaginary frame that underlies his two claimed frames, the "stationary and the moving".

Has anyone come across this type of admission? I'm trying to find some mention of it in writing.

Anyone?

I know he admitted that there must be an ether like structure in the universe so that our Laws of Physics can function, and also his statement that he was no confident in any of his theories, thought they would not stand for long.

But what about his admission about his 1905 paper using an absolute reference while claiming that there us no such thing?

Thanks.

crawler

Re: What did Einstein actually say?

Unread post by crawler » Sat May 23, 2020 10:58 pm

No i cant remember Einstein himself saying or admitting that STR needs a preferred frame.
But i seem to recall that Einstein accidentally invoked a preferred frame somewhere somehow.
And for sure Einsteinians have over the years invoked preferred frames, eg Hafele & Keating with their clocks.

Einstein more or less admitted that there was an ether, but i don't think that he in any way needed that ether to act as a preferred frame, nor that he needed an ether to help with any laws etc (at least not to help with any calculations or equations etc) ie he admitted that some of his physics doesn't work if space is empty in every way.