The Juno Mission November 3, 2011

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Sparky

The Juno Mission November 3, 2011

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:31 pm

http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2011/11/03/3661/
Rendezvous with Jupiter should take place in July of 2016. Upon arrival, Juno will enter a north-south polar orbit.---

--All four of Jupiter’s largest moons were discovered to leave their marks in the aurora in the shape of “tails” flowing within the plasma column. Later, when NASA launched New Horizons on a mission to study Pluto and Charon, the “plumes” of Tvashtar, a gigantic volcano on Io, were found to be filamentary in structure, with indications that they are actually corona arc discharges from the electric “hot spots” linking the moon with Jupiter.
What do they do to protect Juno from the electrically activity environment? The polar orbit will take it over the most active parts of the planet, won't it?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

mharratsc

Re: The Juno Mission November 3, 2011

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:43 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that they must have something analogous to 'static wicks', that would keep the craft in equilibrium with the electrical environment it is orbiting in.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

The Great Dog

Unread post by The Great Dog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks for the lesson. The Great Dog was unaware of static wicks.

The Juno mission website has this to say:
To protect sensitive spacecraft electronics, Juno will carry the first radiation shielded electronics vault, a critical feature for enabling sustained exploration in such a heavy radiation environment. This feature of the mission is relevant to NASA's Vision for Space Exploration, which addresses the need for protection against harsh radiation in space environments beyond the safety of low-Earth orbit.
TGD
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks for the info.... this mission may produce more "unexpected anomalies "...
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire