What is Physics?

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

junglelord

Re: What is Physics?

Unread post by junglelord » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:31 am

LIke I already asked you, take a break with your dictionary and PLEASE tell us what YOUR definition is....
pretty please with sugar on top...
:D
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:18 pm

junglelord wrote:LIke I already asked you, take a break with your dictionary and PLEASE tell us what YOUR definition is....
pretty please with sugar on top...
:D
Physics is the study of objects.
Physicist: This is a pen

Mathematician: It's pi*r2*h

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:57 pm

From Earth, Inc. by Buckminster Fuller:
Science has found no 'things';only events. Universe has no nouns;only verbs.
To each human being, environment is 'all of Universe that isn't me.' Our macrocosmic and microcosmic 'isn't me-ness' consists entirely of widely dissynchronous frequencies or repetitions of angular changes and complex interactions of waves of different lengths and frequencies of repetition. Physics has found a Universe consisting only of frequency and angle modulations.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

kevin

Unread post by kevin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Much even to my own amazement, I can dowse light bulbs, the spotlights show this best as they produce a flow out from them that matchs the angle of the beam of light.
I was very excited when I first did this, like a little boy with a new toy walking about the house dowsing light bulbs, my better half is convinced I need locking up?
I assume they give off signals that hit the aether and create light, I think it was rayleigh that showed why the sky is blue because of that part of the spectrum scattering most?
kevin

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:18 pm

GaryN wrote:From Earth, Inc. by Buckminster Fuller:
Alan Watts states this as well. After learning from his talks on it ages ago, I agree. I am only monolingual (English) so can't verify by direct experience with any others, but I've heard it said that many languages have no noun constructs. Offhand, I think I've at least heard it said of American Indian languages (some, if not all) and Chinese (the non-pinyin or non-anglicized, original tongue(s)). Possibly Sanskrit?
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Arc-us wrote:
I am only monolingual (English)
Redundant speech old boy. :lol:
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:Arc-us wrote:
I am only monolingual (English)
Redundant speech old boy. :lol:
Duh. Comes from hangin' out with Alton too much.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:42 pm

GaryN wrote:From Earth, Inc. by Buckminster Fuller:
To each human being, environment is 'all of Universe that isn't me.' Our macrocosmic and microcosmic 'isn't me-ness' consists entirely of widely dissynchronous frequencies or repetitions of angular changes and complex interactions of waves of different lengths and frequencies of repetition. Physics has found a Universe consisting only of frequency and angle modulations.
arc-us wrote:Alan Watts states this as well. After learning from his talks on it ages ago, I agree. I am only monolingual (English) so can't verify by direct experience with any others, but I've heard it said that many languages have no noun constructs. Offhand, I think I've at least heard it said of American Indian languages (some, if not all) and Chinese (the non-pinyin or non-anglicized, original tongue(s)). Possibly Sanskrit?
Now, if anyone could just show me a single example of "not an object" I would have some reason to believe this. Can someone illustrate a verb without an object for me? I've never seen it nor experienced it. However I constantly see examples to the contrary.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Can someone illustrate a verb without an object for me?
'thought'.
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:
'thought'.
I see a series of objects, a t, then a h, then o, u, g, h, and t. I don't see how this series of objects illustrates a verb without an object.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:35 pm

altonhare wrote:
Grey Cloud wrote:
'thought'.
I see a series of objects, a t, then a h, then o, u, g, h, and t. I don't see how this series of objects illustrates a verb without an object.
I 'thought' you had said that 'thoughts' were not objects? (Because they had no shape or somesuch).
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:45 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:
altonhare wrote:
Grey Cloud wrote:
'thought'.
I 'thought' you had said that 'thoughts' were not objects? (Because they had no shape or somesuch).
thought <---- This is a series of symbols, objects (they have shape).

What are you trying to refer to with this series of symbols? If you propose that it refers to an object, what does the object look like? If it does not refer to an object you call 'a' thought, but rather to an action (as I think you propose), can you illustrate this action without objects?

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Alton,
If that is an attempt at humour then it failed. If it is an attempt to clutch at straws then it also failed.
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:Alton,
If that is an attempt at humour then it failed. If it is an attempt to clutch at straws then it also failed.
Can you illustrate for me, as evidence, a single instance of motion/action (verb) without an object?

I am not grasping at straws or making an attempt at humor. Can you show me 'a' thought, which you propose is a verb without objects? It doesn't have to be 'an' actual bona fide thought, a sketch is fine.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Alton,
You are now becoming pathetic. Have you not a thought of your own you could use? Or, put another way, have you never had a thought? Why does it require motion?
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.