Our New Beginning

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MGmirkin

Re: Our New Beginning

Unread post by MGmirkin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:58 pm

MattL wrote:;) Just wanted to see if that initiative was lost in the catastrophe....

Thanks again for everyone's effort!!!
Sure evidence of catastrophism, if there is any... The utter destruction of the board from on high, that is. Hehe.

~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:02 pm

StefanR wrote:It's great to see the forum up and running again. Pity of the lost posts, but the stars are still there. :D

Greetings to all, this is going to be fun!

Stefan
Indeedy, as someone I know likes to say...

And, all may not be lost, if current restorative efforts pan out. It seem Google kept a hidden cache of the forum pages. We're trying to recover whatever we can before Google whacks the lever and it all goes "floosh"... Though Google has made things a bit difficult at times.

Still trying to figure out what to do with all the data... I'm leaning toward a static "archive" of "Thunderbolts Forum 1.0". Though some diligent folks have already started copying/pasting ald material back into the new forum. That'll have to do for now, until we get the old material from Google worked over into something resembling an "archive".

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

MGmirkin

Re: good luck

Unread post by MGmirkin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:21 pm

FS3 wrote:Good luck to us all. Each death is a new beginning.

What's about the avatar-logo? Just trying to get used with the new layout and can't find any instrument for uploading a pic.

Happyness!
FS3

PS: Any chance that you'll be able to reactivate the old content?
It seems you've since found the spot for avatars...

But, for those unfamiliar with the new layout, such things are to be found (when logged in) in the "User Control Panel" page. This is generally accessible from the upper left corner of any page, just under the link to "Board Index."

I suggest folks familiarize themselves with it. It's pretty slick.

On the User Control Panel page, the second tab "Profile" will allow you to edit your profile, signature, avatar (enforced maximum of 90x90 pixels), and account settings such as e-mail address, password, etc.

The User Control Panel also gives you access to your private messages and friend/foe list.

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:51 pm

davesmith_au wrote:Stuck my ear to the ground the other day, and the rumblings I heard indicated it should be only around a fortnight away, give or take...
Maybe you should have asked the elephants in the Cymatics-thread.
Localizing vocalizations centered around 20 Hz, a frequency with a wavelength of about 17 m, when the inter-ear distance is only about 0.5 m is most likely a challenge. Using the feet and trunk would add some advantage in detecting a phase difference, since the distance from the front to back feet is about 2 to 2.5 m. A further benefit would accrue from working with the seismic waves that we recorded which had a shorter wavelength, 12.4 m, than acoustic sound waves of 17 m. As seismic cues are an important localization tool for insects (Cocroft et al., 2000), perhaps this is also true for the elephant.

Listening to vibrations
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

sunsettommy

Unread post by sunsettommy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Well golly I have been away and then come back seeing new colors and fewer postings.Too bad you got surprised by a bad server.

I am surprised that a regular back up via the server was not done.

I do that every 2-3 days at a forum I help administrate.We keep everything.It helps that the forum owner is a computer expert.

Maybe I am missing something here.I am not trying to be critical.Just wondering why it happened like that.

I have not posted much in the old forum set up.Not much worth salvaging I am sure. :oops:

However I have regularly posted the: picture of the day selections in the Alternative Universe subforum.At the forum I help run.They get a lot of reads too. Here is the link showing the subforum that has many thunderbolts picture of the day postings: http://www.globalwarmingskeptics.info/m ... forum&f=11

I hope that is acceptable.

If there anything more I can help THIS forum better.Please send me a PM.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Well, I think there was an assumption that the service provider was supposed to be keeping backups. However, that appears to not have been the case. But, every cloud has a silver lining (Heh, that actually takes on something of a new meaning in light of a few recent conversations about lightning, etc.)... Regular backup to an off-site computer will be happening, so that little if anything will be lost in the event of such a catastrophic event happening again. Likewise, a more reliable service as been selected. And hopefully they will be more diligent about backups as well.

On the other hand, the crash also somewhat cleaned house, insofar as a bunch of fluff was washed away, and some of the most important stuff has been salvaged from Google's cache. Currently things are a bit leaner. A few threads have been revamped, insofar as there wasn't a cached copy available, so I or others have put up a much shorter synopsis of prior conversations. Which is kind of nice, on the one hand. As it looks a bit cleaner than meandering conversations. Which isn't to say that a few meanderings are a bad thing. Sometimes it's necessary to meander a bit and explore a few paths in order to get a fuller comprehension of the various issues involved and come to some kind of a more complete understanding.

Anywho, I'm sure that in the next few weeks the forum will get up and running back to capacity, as folks filter back in.

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

Unread post by 2012 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:22 pm

I wonder how many other people had their account deleted?
I had now succeeded in re-registering, for the third time, in about as many weeks.

However, the loss of this forum is a minor inconvenience compared to what may well happen in 2012 when most computers are likely to get "fried" by big X30+ Solar flares and/or heliosphere shockwaves and attendant effects.

We should take this little episode as a timely warning and start preparing and saving information!

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:23 pm

2012 wrote:I wonder how many other people had their account deleted?
I had now succeeded in re-registering, for the third time, in about as many weeks.

However, the loss of this forum is a minor inconvenience compared to what may well happen in 2012 when most computers are likely to get "fried" by big X30+ Solar flares and/or heliosphere shockwaves and attendant effects.

We should take this little episode as a timely warning and start preparing and saving information!
Well, doom-saying side, the forum will be backed up on a regular basis, so no worries there.

Everyone got deleted when the forum went down. :( Haven't heard of any deletions since then, but perhaps I'm out of the loop on such things, unless someone brings them to my attention...? Might want to talk with DaveSmith_AU if you feel there's been a technical snafu, or something, with the new forum? Might still be ironing out a few bugs...

~Michael Gmirkin

Unread post by 2012 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:41 am

I think mine got deleted at the crash, too. I did not realise that everyone got deleted, thanks for explaining that Michael.
Not that I am recommending it but it is perhaps not such a bad thing on the web forums in general to delete everyone from time to time and see who is active enough to come back :)

Lloyd

Edit Setting

Unread post by Lloyd » Wed May 07, 2008 9:32 am

- At Rules and Guidelines Dave S said members are given one hour to edit their posts after posting. The reason given for not allowing members to edit their own messages after that is "As the Thunderbolts forum is in essence of a scientific nature, all posters should be accountable for what they post." Dave T also asked that members show respect for each other on the forum. I don't see how members are unaccountable or irresponsible if they're given the freedom to edit their own messages at any time after posting. In the original forum we had that freedom and I found it advantageous to be able to edit at any time in order to correct mistakes, or make a statement clearer. Edits were recorded as part of the messages, so people could see when messages were edited or not.
- Some folks [especially Capricorns] like to see bosses or authority figures shown respect. Others like to see the subordinates or the masses shown respect. Some like for everyone to be shown respect.
- If I had the freedom, as a typical member of this forum, to edit my messages at any time, I could improve this message later by getting rid of the reference to Capricorns, for example.
- I don't see why messages aren't considered to be the property of the authors, instead of the forum owners.
- I acknowledge that one hour to edit is better than 5 minutes or 0 minutes, but it's not as good as unlimited minutes.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Thu May 08, 2008 11:06 am

Unless I'm firing off a quick reply I normally compose post/replies offline in notepad with quotes & links etc. That way I can take my time with a subject while researching it as well. Then it's just a matter of copying and pasting and letting the spell checker do it's thing, hitting the 'Preview' button and re-reading to make sure it flows the way you want etc.

If an error occurs, if I'm incorrect about something for example, I'm sure someone will point that out and so be it. But as threads grow, you'll still have to make an extra post just to say you've changed a post some 12 pages back. Considering the length some threads and individual post can get; I'm not sure every interested party will go back and re-read a lengthly post, in a lengthly thread to check out that clarification.

Unless one is using the forum to 'store' their growth in relation to a particular concept, which isn't necessarily it's function, I'm not sure why unlimited editing would be of any value. I can especially remember a couple of threads wherein I made some errors and with the help of members over the duration of a thread you could 'see' the working out off the kinks in my faulty logic and/or failed premise. That was great stuff. Taught me to be a bit more careful, cautious and to research as much as I could beforehand.

Also. You guys do realize that there is a 'Save' button when composing a reply or post. It 'Saves' the post into a 'Draft' folder. You can edit it until comet Holmes stops discharging (whenever that will be :D ) without actually posting it at all. So if you want to use post to 'store' ideas etc that's one place to 'store' and 'Edit' to one's content.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

pladuim

Unread post by pladuim » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Hello everyone,

Just stopping by, checking thing out, and WOW, you guys have been busy! If you don't mind I am going to do some reading around, maybe post a comment here or there.

aetherevarising

Unread post by aetherevarising » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi all,

DELIGHTED to discussion discover a forum on the electric universe. I had no idea. Then saw that the threadline was rather 'thin' but now see that you've had some sort of 'crash' on your system? Sorry to hear it. And hopefully the most of it will be recoverable.

From what I see this is the first post in the last 8 months? Is that right? :)

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:55 pm

aetherevarising wrote:Hi all,

DELIGHTED to discussion discover a forum on the electric universe. I had no idea. Then saw that the threadline was rather 'thin' but now see that you've had some sort of 'crash' on your system? Sorry to hear it. And hopefully the most of it will be recoverable.

From what I see this is the first post in the last 8 months? Is that right? :)
Yes and probably because the thread refers to events which happened over two years ago - see the date of the opening post.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.