Our New Beginning

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

David Talbott
Site Admin

Our New Beginning

Unread post by David Talbott » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:53 am

Welcome back everyone.

Yes, it was a great disappointment to find we couldn't recover the contents of the Thunderbolts Forum when it crashed. But in this case, the silver lining should shine away the cloud. As of today, the Forum is back and with a more complete team to assure overall effectiveness.

In particular, I must single out Dave Smith for special acknowledgment. Over the past few days he's labored tirelessly with several others to help us establish more firm underpinnings of the Forum. Now we have a more flexible and secure functionality backed by capable volunteers, all committed to maintaining the Forum at the highest level possible.

We want to keep this an open forum with minimum moderation requirements. And we ask every contributor to help by following our simple guidelines. If you have not already done so, please take a few moments to consider our elementary groundrules-- http://thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpBB3/v ... m.php?f=11

We already know that the Thunderbolts Forum can add greatly to public discussion of the Electric Universe, and we welcome any constructive suggestions you might offer.

David Talbott

MGmirkin

A minty fresh start...

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:45 am

Hear, hear!

Thunderbolts Forums 1.0 shall be missed. Lots of good discussion were had thereat.

However, hopefully Thunderbolts Forums 2.0 can take us to someplace new altogether, keeping in mind all we collectively learned on Thunderbolts Forums 1.0...

For my part, I might try to resurrect a few threads that were lost, but I feel are still of enduring value. On the up side, the system has been flushed, so we can start fresh, perhaps boil down a few prior conversations to the basics, and leave out some of the more far-flung threads that cropped up, but did not contribute significantly to new knowledge or understanding.

To sum up: Welcome back, everyone! I hope everything will flow smoothly and I'm quite sure lots more fun is waiting in the wings...

Your friendly neighborhood moderator / commentator,
~Michael Gmirkin :ugeek:
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: Our New Beginning

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:47 pm

Giday all, and welcome.

We all regret the catastrophic failure of the last forum program, and the loss of all of the posts so many worked so hard on. The loss was caused by a server-side issue and no backup was accessible. But, there's no use crying over spilt milk as they say, please rest assured that regular backups (off-site) are scheduled to alleviate the possible loss of future posts.

I am very pleased to have accepted the position of Site Administrator for the forum, sharing this responsibility with David Talbott, forum_admin and Brian Stewart. We will also manage a very capable group of moderators, MGmirkin, arc-us and Plasmatic. We all aim to make the Thunderbolts Forum experience as enjoyable and beneficial as possible.

All users are asked to make themselves familiar with the Forum rules and guidelines, a link to which exists above each forum. Please remember that we are all volunteers and the moderators and admins give their time freely. It is in no-ones interest to badger them over any issues which come up. There are post reporting facilities which are easy to use, please be patient if you have received no response after raising an issue.

We would like as much as possible to have all users operate in a friendly, safe and respectful environment and to this end moderation will be kept to a minimum, however inappropriate behavior will attract the swift attention of staff.

Most of all, we hope you all have fun, learn and share as much as you can and help make this forum a cut above the rest.

So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!!

Cheers, Dave Smith. :mrgreen:
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:40 pm

It's great to see the forum up and running again. Pity of the lost posts, but the stars are still there. :D

Greetings to all, this is going to be fun!

Stefan
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:54 pm

Well I honestly lament the loss of material posted on Thunderbolts 1.0 :o but it's right - we can only be positive and as StefanR puts it 8-) the stars still shine!
Attachments
which_one.jpg

FS3

good luck

Unread post by FS3 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:17 pm

Good luck to us all. Each death is a new beginning.

What's about the avatar-logo? Just trying to get used with the new layout and can't find any instrument for uploading a pic.

Happyness!
FS3

PS: Any chance that you'll be able to reactivate the old content?

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Welcome back!
Regret the loss of so much good stuff, but I am looking forward to what is to come.
There is no place like this on the net.
Nick

Samadhi

Unread post by Samadhi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:03 pm

So the whole board got swallowed ? Can't imagine how that happened. All those great threads.....

I was kind of proud being one of the first members and posters, even if I have been lax in returning.

Faraday Cage

Unread post by Faraday Cage » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Glad it's back up. I'm sure there will be more posts than you could poke a spark at in no time. :)

Groovy_Guy

Unread post by Groovy_Guy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:34 am

Good work on getting a new forum up and running! Nothing like a fresh start to spark the thought process!

Eres

Unread post by Eres » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:48 am

First of all compliment for the new graphics dress of Thunderbolts Forum! Very pleasant! :)
The spirit that must animate this new forum is that of a rebirth, that can assure new horizons to the new forum.
Wal had marked 2008 as the year of the EU, well, this is the exact moment to restart with the rebirth of the forum.
Good luck to everybody!

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Woah!! It's all sparkly-clean in here. I feel like I just got a new suit.

Welcome back everyone!!! Three cheers to Dave S, Dave T., M. Goodspeed and all involved in working so hard to get things back on track.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

MattL

Unread post by MattL » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Solar wrote:Woah!! It's all sparkly-clean in here. I feel like I just got a new suit.

Welcome back everyone!!! Three cheers to Dave S, Dave T., M. Goodspeed and all involved in working so hard to get things back on track.
Any updates re: the Mythology forum? I just finished God Star, and am moving on to Flare Star.

Cheers!

MattL

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:48 pm

MattL wrote:
Any updates re: the Mythology forum? I just finished God Star, and am moving on to Flare Star.

Cheers!

MattL
And welcome back Matt!

Stuck my ear to the ground the other day, and the rumblings I heard indicated it should be only around a fortnight away, give or take...

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

MattL

Unread post by MattL » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:51 pm

davesmith_au wrote: And welcome back Matt!

Stuck my ear to the ground the other day, and the rumblings I heard indicated it should be only around a fortnight away, give or take...

Cheers, Dave Smith.
;) Just wanted to see if that initiative was lost in the catastrophe....

Thanks again for everyone's effort!!!