Super Efficient Plasma Lightbulb Burns Brighter

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

mnemeth1

Super Efficient Plasma Lightbulb Burns Brighter

Unread post by mnemeth1 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:15 am

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/04/s ... cient.html

6000º Kelvin. That's the temperature at the surface of the Sun. It's also the temperature inside the new hyper efficient plasma lightbulb from Luxim, which puts out 140 lumens per watt. That's double the efficiency of an LED and almost ten times better than an incandescent bulb.

The little pod sits inside a ring of "dielectric material", which concentrates an electrical field into the bulb. The contents of the bulb vaporize and the plasma glows. A single of these tiny bulbs is brighter than a streetlight.

Back to that temperature. 6000 K is close to the color temperature of daylight (5500K), so the Luxim bulb doesn't suffer from a "cold" light like some energy saving solutions. Right now Luxim is pushing its tech at the entertainment industries: projectors and light displays. As costs fall, though, this could end up everywhere, except perhaps a mood-lit bachelor pad.

mharratsc

Re: Super Efficient Plasma Lightbulb Burns Brighter

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:39 am

Yeah but what's the temperature on the outside of the bulb?? How much of that heat transfers to the electrical leads, wiring, and bulb socket??
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

mnemeth1

Unread post by mnemeth1 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Looks like it burns relatively cool on the outside.

It plugs into a special socket like a street light.

You can see a video of it on youtube.

saturnine

Unread post by saturnine » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Color temperature doesn't equal how hot it is. I have some CFL bulbs that are 5500K yet they are putting out less heat than the 60 watt bulbs they replaced. I didn't see it in the article, but I wonder what the life expectancy of these plasma bulbs are.

MGmirkin

UPDATE: Super Efficient Plasma Lightbulb (Video)

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Update:

(Luxim's tiny plasma lightbulb outshines LEDs)
http://www.physorg.com/news125238861.html

(The lightbulb of the future? - Luxim's plasma lightbulb)
http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13748_22-192 ... ag=nl.e550

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm

(Luxim Corporation)
http://www.lifi.com/
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

ronjakkz

Unread post by ronjakkz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:55 pm

mnemeth1 wrote:http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/04/s ... cient.html

6000º Kelvin. That's the temperature at the surface of the Sun. It's also the temperature inside the new hyper efficient plasma lightbulb from Luxim, which puts out 140 lumens per watt. That's double the efficiency of an LED and almost ten times better than an incandescent bulb.

The little pod sits inside a ring of "dielectric material", which concentrates an electrical field into the bulb. The contents of the bulb vaporize and the plasma glows. A single of these tiny bulbs is brighter than a streetlight.

Back to that temperature. 6000 K is close to the color temperature of daylight (5500K), so the Luxim bulb doesn't suffer from a "cold" light like some energy saving solutions. Right now Luxim is pushing its tech at the entertainment industries: projectors and light displays. As costs fall, though, this could end up everywhere, except perhaps a mood-lit bachelor pad.
woo.. :o i never thought this is equivalent of plasma lightbulb from Luxim, :ugeek: now i know :mrgreen: :idea: