Quantum Physics

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

paneerax

Quantum Physics

Unread post by paneerax » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:13 pm

What can you do with a doctorite in quantum physics? I am planning on going to college soon. I'm smart and I love to learn. Whatever I do I want to make sure I get a doctorite. To specialize in medicine is the safest and best route for me to take - thus far. But physics has always interested me, even more so quantum physics. Even electrical engineering sounds terrific.

Goldminer

Re: Quantum Physics

Unread post by Goldminer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:29 pm

paneerax wrote:What can you do with a doctorite in quantum physics? I am planning on going to college soon. I'm smart and I love to learn. Whatever I do I want to make sure I get a doctorite. To specialize in medicine is the safest and best route for me to take - thus far. But physics has always interested me, even more so quantum physics. Even electrical engineering sounds terrific.
What is "doctorite?" Some kind of mineral?
I sense a disturbance in the farce.

orrery

Unread post by orrery » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Stick with electrical engineering
"though free to think and to act - we are held together like the stars - in firmament with ties inseparable - these ties cannot be seen but we can feel them - each of us is only part of a whole" -tesla

http://www.reddit.com/r/plasmaCosmology

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:24 pm

But physics has always interested me, even more so quantum physics.
paneerax,

If you do go with physics, major in the burgeoning field of NANO-physics.
That's where the rubber of 'quantum' (what a horribly abused and mis-used term That's become) physics meets the reality of the road.

ps, i can send you a list of mostly free resources if you like, pm me.

it's all electric, s

HarrisonZel

Unread post by HarrisonZel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 am

Medicine is a bit far from physics. You should be taking biology instead if you want to be a doctor. :)

klypp

Unread post by klypp » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:02 am

Why not study veterinary medicine and then join the quantum physicists?

As quantum physics is in desperate need of a veterinarian to decide whether Scrödinger's cat died or not... :?

tayga

Unread post by tayga » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:08 am

If you're bright, you career choice depends on whether you want to make money or do something useful with your life. If you want to make money become a medic and join the profitable healthcare industry. Then you can spend the rest of your life wondering why you are wealthy but unfulfilled.

If you want to do something useful, choose what lights your fire (that might be medicine), dive in and give it 100%. BTW a doctorate is not a prerequisite to making a positive contribution. Three major contributors to my personal paradigm of the physical universe - Wal Thornhil, Stephen Crothers and Carl Johnson - do not have PhDs. At least 2 of those are without a PhD because they went against the official message and maintained their personal integrity. Big Science is no place for original thought (see my sig) but it is exactly where original thought is needed.
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

Bud

Unread post by Bud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:40 pm

I would start with an Electrical Engineering degree. Take some physics on the side and check out your thoughts and options after you graduate.