What do you believe in?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Maddogkull1

What do you believe in?

Unread post by Maddogkull1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:14 am

Since this is the human question forum, I am very interested in what some of you believe in? Reincarnation? Life after death? A god? Why do you think we are alive?

mague

Re: What do you believe in?

Unread post by mague » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:23 am

Either 42 or..
Neither Being nor non-Being existed then;
There was no sky, nor heaven, which is beyond.
What covered? Where was it and in whose shelter?
Was the water the deep abyss in which it lay? [1]

There was no death, hence neither was anything immortal;
There was no distinction between night and day.
By its inherent force the One breathed windless;
Nothing other than that existed. [2]

Darkness there was,
In the beginning all this was a sea without light;
That which, becoming, by the void was covered,
That One by the force of heat came into being. [3]

Desire entered the One in the beginning,
It was the earliest seed, the product of thought.
The Sages searching in their hearts with wisdom
Found the bond of Being in non-Being. [4]

Their ray extended light across the darkness;
But was the One below or was it above?
Creative force and fertile power was there;
Below was energy and will, above. [5]

Who knows for certain? Who shall declare it here?
When was it born and when came the creation?
The Devas came later,
Who then knows whence it arose? [6]

None knows when creation has arisen;
Whether He made it or did not make it,
He who surveys it in the highest heaven,
Only He knows, or maybe even He knows not! [7]

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:33 am

Ah, my favourite passage from the Rig.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Maddogkull1

Unread post by Maddogkull1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:50 am

That is a great passage, but what is your opinion on life/reincarnation and god?

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:40 am

I fail to see the point of collecting the opinions of others about such deeply personal, non-falsifiable topics.
It's all about perception.

Maddogkull1

Unread post by Maddogkull1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:44 am

What are you talking about, I am just asking peoples opinions. There is no point, it is just an interesting topic.

Birkeland

Unread post by Birkeland » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:17 pm

I believe in trolls.
ImageTrolls are real.
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see" - Ayn Rand

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:22 pm

StevenJay wrote:I fail to see the point of collecting the opinions of others about such deeply personal, non-falsifiable topics.
I agree, especially when the OP cannot keep his attention on any one question for more than a couple of hours but is continually flitting from subject to another like some demented butterfly.
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Birkeland wrote:
I believe in trolls
and
Trolls are real.
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... rnet-slang

Pretty much sums up Birkeland's post.
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Birkeland

Unread post by Birkeland » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Don't be blasphemous.
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see" - Ayn Rand

Maddogkull1

Unread post by Maddogkull1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Are you guys honestly that ignorant, that you cannot partake in a conversation like this because you think I am a troll.. :lol: Wow.... sad.... I am merely trying to understand your view on life, and you cannot even give me a simple answer. One person on here did that is it. You don't think I read all your responses; I just have nothing to say after your response, as I am still trying to figure out all the observations that go with PC and EU theory’s. I am currently in the process on buying books by known PC and EU scientists, but they have not arrived yet ;) Seriously, it was just a question, and you guys jump to conclusions. Relax and just answer the question if you like. This is the human question forum; you know to talk about consciousness, "The human question" why we are here? I ask, and I get shut down. Sad.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:58 am

The asking of questions is not denied to you, but your practice of starting many threads with open questions while many of such topics are allready covered in other threads. You should feel free to ask questions, but perhaps it is an idea if whilst you are exploring ideas pertaining to EU/PC or those floating on this forum, you should perhaps heed the advise of arc-us given to you and use the search function of google and such. Then you might find some previous discussion pertaining to your questions or if things are still unclear ask the question in that appropriate thread with quotes of posts were you feel your question is adressed but not fully.
Although you might not feel to be or be a troll, a reflection on your acting on this forum does give that image to some.
There are a lot of folks here who would genuinely like to answer your questions, but if the form of them remains than as such I would say I believe in Dragons and how to deal with them.
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

Dotini

Unread post by Dotini » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Maddogkull1 wrote:Since this is the human question forum, I am very interested in what some of you believe in? Reincarnation? Life after death? A god? Why do you think we are alive?
I'd like to recommend a book I've recently read. It's Evidence of the Afterlife, by Jeffrey Long, MD. Since the '70's thousands of near death experiences (NDE's) have been reported to and studied by hundreds of doctors and physicians. It's increasing clear that this same typical NDE is common to all humans around the world from all cultures and beliefs. It now seems well proved that our consciousness survives the death of the physical body, at least long enough to have an NDE. This may not be direct proof of life after death or a god, but it ought to make you sit up and pay attention. What do you think? It makes me think that there is more interesting complexity in our personal reality and in the universe around us than we can even imagine.

Respectfully yours,
Dotini

Maddogkull1

Unread post by Maddogkull1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Yes, NDE's are very interesting. The problem I have with them, is when people have a NDE, it resembles there belief system. Christians see Jesus, Buddhist’s see Buddha. But what I found interesting was the amount of atheists that saw Jesus. That is what I found interesting from NDE's

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Maddogkull1 wrote:Yes, NDE's are very interesting. The problem I have with them, is when people have a NDE, it resembles there belief system. Christians see Jesus, Buddhist’s see Buddha. But what I found interesting was the amount of atheists that saw Jesus. That is what I found interesting from NDE's
It's been said that when people with iron-clad belief systems die, their first perceptions are a manifestation of those beliefs. Later, they are gently shown out of those earthly beliefs by their teachers/guides. So, it's not surprising that a self-proclaimed atheist who'd grown up in a predominantly Christian society might see the same Jesus that had been crammed down his/her throat since birth. I seriously doubt that atheists raised in Hindu or Buddhist cultures would have the same perception.
It's all about perception.