Neil Tyson Fabricating quotes

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

bdw000

Neil Tyson Fabricating quotes

Unread post by bdw000 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Many here will probably find this article useful:

http://thefederalist.com/2014/09/18/why ... brication/

It is a perfect example of how science is used, more and more, to propagandize. So many popularizers of "science" can say anything at all, without any evidence whatsoever (or as in this case, simply make stuff up), and everyone is expected to just believe it, because the speaker is "a scientist."

nick c
Site Admin

Re: Neil Tyson Fabricating quotes

Unread post by nick c » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:14 am

The disturbing aspect is that the repeated violations have to be intentional, and then there is the cover up.

JeffreyW

Unread post by JeffreyW » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:19 am

The only thing I've learned from Mr. Tyson is that it pays to be idolized. Nothing he has published or talks about has actually helped me in my quest for understanding nature. This means I have found a big difference between the two, there is understanding nature, and there is feeling good about yourself in the idea that you THINK you understand nature.

Understanding nature isn't a feel good thing, it stinks. Its isolation, its ridicule, its loneliness and pain. Its a daily frustration with understanding the "experts" really have no idea what they are talking about. Its coming to terms with how small/insignificant we are, a daily dose of painful humility.

Mr. Tyson doesn't embody a person who understands nature, he embodies someone who profits from the feel good crowd. I would avoid his talks and the people he associates with.
http://vixra.org/pdf/1711.0206v4.pdf The Main Book on Stellar Metamorphosis, Version 4

Rushthezeppelin

Unread post by Rushthezeppelin » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:58 pm

bdw000 wrote:Many here will probably find this article useful:

http://thefederalist.com/2014/09/18/why ... brication/

It is a perfect example of how science is used, more and more, to propagandize. So many popularizers of "science" can say anything at all, without any evidence whatsoever (or as in this case, simply make stuff up), and everyone is expected to just believe it, because the speaker is "a scientist."
SMH. I see it all the time personally on my facebook that is rife with these know it alls who worship the ground science walks on. I almost wanted to throw my tablet across the room though reading some of the comments on that article. Like one person saying something to the effect of "aetheism is a belief"....which sadly for some it has become tantamount to a religion for them.....and then another person responds "it's not a belief if I know it to be true". Any true scientist worth their salt (doesn't seem to be too many these days) would be the first to admit that at least at the present time it's completely laughable to say that science disproves the existence of God. These poor sad deluded fools that invoke the name of science when their understanding of it is infinitesimal.

So sad that we have science in such a poor state right now getting away from it's roots of following the evidence and then we have a cult of wackos to militantly defend everything science says as if it is gospel >< It almost makes me wonder if overall society is actually getting dumber but the majority of them will reject it and wallow in their stupidity because they are too stupid to realize just how stupid they are...thus we never know how truly smart society is or isn't because of confirmation bias.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Yes, Neil de Grasse Tyson's "COSMOS" series is a real let-down.
Carl Sagan's version of a couple decades back can be attributed with a lot of "thoughtful imagination", but at least Sagan caused people to wonder about the universe. You can't listen to Tyson more than just a few minutes without hearing some sarcastic diatribe, either directly or by his tone. He is the modern demagog, steeped in his fanatic atheistic faith base and assaultive upon anyone who opposes his view. I hope more scientists will step up and call him what he is, a usurper of the throne of scientism. And the Wikipedia censors need to take note. They have become the keepers of the paradigm, rather than monitors of open knowledge sharing.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.