Sun myth(s)

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

D_Archer

Sun myth(s)

Unread post by D_Archer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:02 am

The sun won't die for 5 billion years, so why do humans have only 1 billion years left on Earth?:
http://phys.org/news/2015-02-sun-wont-d ... years.html

This part:
In a few billion years, the sun will become a red giant so large that it will engulf our planet
Has been been repeated ad nauseum for as long as i can remember, as far as i know there is no science supporting this, it has always been an assumption. Why would it be repeated so many times? What purpose does that serve science?

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

fosborn_

Re: Sun myth(s)

Unread post by fosborn_ » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:33 am

Why would it be repeated so many times? What purpose does that serve science?
Maybe its a symptom cultural psychosis, issue. We are still traumatized as a species from the near extinction events we suffered and the reminders in history of it during world wars and famines and economic collapse. Uniformitarianism is to us as the Gods were to the Greeks to answer why nature does what it does and yet still be in denial ?
(I may have read some notions of this somewhere on this forum over the years)
Culture Bound Syndrome
(redirected from Cultural Psychosis)

A generic term for any of a number of recurrent, locality-specific patterns of aberrant behavior and troubling experience, many of which cannot be linked to a particular DSM-IV diagnostic entity; they are generally limited to specific societies or culture areas and are localised, folk, diagnostic categories that frame coherent meanings for certain repetitive, patterned, and troubling sets of experiences and observations. Culture bound syndromes may represent acting-out behaviors unique to certain, often primitive, societies and are commonly accompanied by strong superstitions
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... +Psychosis
The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
the one that heralds new discoveries,
is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
Isaac Asimov

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:53 am

fosborn wrote:
D_Archer wrote: Has been been repeated ad nauseum for as long as i can remember, as far as i know there is no science supporting this, it has always been an assumption. Why would it be repeated so many times? What purpose does that serve science?
Maybe its a symptom cultural psychosis, issue. We are still traumatized as a species from the near extinction events we suffered and the reminders in history of it during world wars and famines and economic collapse. Uniformitarianism is to us as the Gods were to the Greeks to answer why nature does what it does and yet still be in denial ?
fosburn has hit the nail directly on the head. Humans (that includes Scientists) constantly seek reassurance that the Earth is secure and the heavens are stable. In other words this is wishful thinking. In the Electric Star model, our Sun is dependent on the ambient galactic electrical environment, and there is no guarantee of long term stability. It is a disconcerting proposition.
Velikovsky (Mankind In Amnesia) has shown that the suppression of horrifying collective memories of the end of the world manifests itself in many bizarre forms. Discussion of world threatening catastrophes are only acceptable if the threat is removed in time and/or space. In other words the Earth will die but it will not happen for a billion years or more; a star may go nova but that is taking place thousands of light years away.
The message is....Don't worry, be happy.
Because of man’s aversion to knowing his past, science has been greatly retarded, pretending unreality to be as truth.
[...]
Scientists are followers of a cult, defending dogmas with which they do not wish to part. Scientists have proclaimed these dogmas to be established laws, when in reality they are nothing but views, and erroneous ones at that.

http://www.varchive.org/lec/lethbridge/amnesia.htm

saul

Unread post by saul » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:31 am

nick c wrote:
fosborn wrote:
D_Archer wrote: Has been been repeated ad nauseum for as long as i can remember, as far as i know there is no science supporting this, it has always been an assumption. Why would it be repeated so many times? What purpose does that serve science?
fosburn has hit the nail directly on the head. Humans (that includes Scientists) constantly seek reassurance that the Earth is secure and the heavens are stable. In other words this is wishful thinking. In the Electric Star model, our Sun is dependent on the ambient galactic electrical environment, and there is no guarantee of long term stability. It is a disconcerting proposition.
Velikovsky (Mankind In Amnesia) has shown that the suppression of horrifying collective memories of the end of the world manifests itself in many bizarre forms. Discussion of world threatening catastrophes are only acceptable if the threat is removed in time and/or space. In other words the Earth will die but it will not happen for a billion years or more; a star may go nova but that is taking place thousands of light years away.
The message is....Don't worry, be happy.
Because of man’s aversion to knowing his past, science has been greatly retarded, pretending unreality to be as truth.
[...]
Scientists are followers of a cult, defending dogmas with which they do not wish to part. Scientists have proclaimed these dogmas to be established laws, when in reality they are nothing but views, and erroneous ones at that.

http://www.varchive.org/lec/lethbridge/amnesia.htm
Good points. As educators we need to more often remind people of the fragility of our current circumstances. As scientists we need to be aware the clock is ticking and get our asses moving.

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:42 am

Apart from the catastrophism, why would the mantra/myth of a dying sun swallowing its family while expanding be upheld so vehemently?

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

fosborn_

Unread post by fosborn_ » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:47 pm

D_Archer wrote:Apart from the catastrophism, why would the mantra/myth of a dying sun swallowing its family while expanding be upheld so vehemently?

Regards,
Daniel
In reading Tholden s book on cosmos in collision, gives me notions, its like an antitheses of the truth (your observation). It s like people that swear there is no starlight, or parallax, only a universe no bigger than the oort cloud. Its a genetic memory distorted about the purple dawn or flare star. Its threating to religious paradigms. Where is the final judgment if we have survived so many final judgments?
For me its almost like an epiphany, the depth and richness, the tenacity of human history to persist. It gives me a hint of the depth of grace and majesty concerning the nature of God and existence being sustained. Plasma in its instabilities is ever regenerating the cosmos, gives wonderful reflection on how valid classical metaphysics still are.
Non of this feels original, I think a lot of wonderful individuals in this forum gives excellent food for thought.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
the one that heralds new discoveries,
is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
Isaac Asimov