Predicting Volcanic Eruptions by Isohypse Reconnection

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Sparky

Predicting Volcanic Eruptions by Isohypse Reconnection

Unread post by Sparky » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 pm

http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/03 ... onnection/
March 31, 2012 by Bob Johnson
The key finding is that eruption events are triggered not, as previously understood, by an increase of magma pressure in a subterranean chamber, but instead by the release of stored energy in the volcano’s isohypse pattern in a process known as an ‘Isohypse Reconnection Event’.
Oh, come now! A nonsenses term borrowed from standard physics ?!
Over time, vast amounts of energy become ‘frozen in’ to the isohypses
Another borrowed, and rather silly term to apply to a volcano!
An Isohypse Reconnection Event arises when the stress in the isohypses exceeds the breaking strength of the isohypses.The weakest isohypse will break first and trigger a catastrophic cascade of failures as thestressis redistributed among the remaining isohypses, which then become overstressed and fail in turn.
Ahh, at last, assigning actual mechanical "stress" as the property. We need an engineer to assign the properties that are being described here! Stresses, strains? Which ones? How many? Pictures, we need pictures!.. :D

But, even with all of the ill adapted, from standard physics terms, the explanation is close enough for an overview.

It does need a rewrite with more accurate terms! ;)
...sorry Mr. Johnson. :oops:
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

mague

Re: Predicting Volcanic Eruptions by Isohypse Reconnection

Unread post by mague » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 am

Sparky, you are a ... april fool :D

Sparky

Re: Predicting Volcanic Eruptions by Isohypse Reconnection

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 am

mague wrote:Sparky, you are a ... april fool :D
Well i usually don't restrict that condition to only one month.

It was dated 02 apr.! And with all the other loonytoon nonsense being presented in the forums, i just assumed that some had leaked into the TPODS.

Not my place to decide what is placed in what section, but i go to the TPODS to get scientific hypothesis/theory, delivered at times with a joke, not an article that is completely a spoof. Those belong someplace else, in my not so humble opinion.

I did consider an april fools prank, as most of the content was nonsense terminology, but decided to address it at face value, as many new comers might. I was under the impression that the TPODS were plain language explanations of EU theory, to introduce newbies to EU and clarify complex plasma jargon with understandable definitions.

I guess i will just have to reevaluate the value of the TPODS as a source of reliable science based observation and theory! And highly restrict my suggestions to newbies to search out the TPODS for an overview of EU.

But, in my not so humble opinion, such publications belong in the forums or blogs!
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire