possible error in TPOD from 23-May

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

madkevo

possible error in TPOD from 23-May

Unread post by madkevo » Fri May 24, 2013 2:42 am

Hi there,
reading through the TPOD from 23-May-13 I can't help but think that based on distances from the Sun in AU Triton receives approximately 30 ^ 2 = 900 times less energy from the Sun as the Earth does rather than the "10^-30 times" figure quoted.
Cheers,
/MK.

nick c
Site Admin

Re: possible error in TPOD from 23-May

Unread post by nick c » Fri May 24, 2013 8:43 am

hi madkevo,
madkevo wrote:reading through the TPOD from 23-May-13 I can't help but think that based on distances from the Sun in AU Triton receives approximately 30 ^ 2 = 900 times less energy from the Sun as the Earth does rather than the "10^-30 times" figure quoted.
I do not know if the TPOD has been corrected since you made your post (?) because it does not read 10^-30 any longer.
Steve Smith in the TPOD wrote:That means Triton receives about 10^-3 times less solar radiation than Earth, a mere 1.5 watts per meter.
Your calculation for the amount of EM energy Triton receives from the Sun is correct... 30AU for Triton vs 1AU for the Earth, by the inverse square law means that Triton would receive 30^-2, or, 1/900th the EM radiation that is received by the Earth. So, 10^-3 = 1/1000, while it is not exact it is somewhat in the same ballpark as 1/900.

[Just as a moderation note for anyone posting on the TPOD board: I would like to link to this TPOD, but I cannot, since it is the current TPOD the link will automatically go to the current TPOD. So the link would change every time a new TPOD is posted. It is not until the TPOD is archived that we can post a permanent link.]

madkevo

Re: possible error in TPOD from 23-May

Unread post by madkevo » Sun May 26, 2013 1:42 am

Yep, it's been fixed.
This the article link: http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2013/05 ... on-triton/