Science under fire from 'merchants of doubt': US historian

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

kiwi

Science under fire from 'merchants of doubt': US historian

Unread post by kiwi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Quite scary that people holding these positions are influencing the next generation :|

Scientists are facing an uphill battle to warn the public about pressing issues due to dissenters in their ranks who intentionally sow uncertainty, says a US historian.
Scientists are facing an uphill battle to warn the public about pressing issues due to dissenters in their ranks who intentionally sow uncertainty, says a US historian.

These naysayers -- some of whom are paid by interest groups -- have helped undermine action on vital problems despite evidence of the need to respond, said Naomi Oreskes, a professor of history and science studies at the University of California at San Diego.

They sap convictions by endlessly questioning data, dismissing experimental innovation, stressing uncertainties and clamouring for more research, she said. Over the last half-century, they have helped weaken legislative action or brake political momentum on tobacco, acid rain, protection of the ozone layer and climate change.
"This strategy is so clever and effective," Oreskes said in an interview this week in Paris to promote a French translation of "Merchants of Doubt," a book she co-authored with California Institute of Technology historian Erik Conway.

"It takes something which is an essential part of science -- healthy skepticism, curiosity -- and turns it against itself and makes it corrosive."

Oreskes's book traces the starting point of professional science skeptics to when big tobacco companies were facing the first clear evidence that smoking caused cancer.
An internal memo, written by a Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp. executive in 1969, spelt out the goal of weakening this link with expert help.

"Doubt is our product, since it is the best means of competing with the 'body of fact' that exists in the minds of the general public. It is also the means of establishing a controversy," according to the document, now placed in a US public archive.

Oreskes said a blatant example today was the sowing of doubt about global warming.
A "denial campaign" started to take root in the United States just before the Earth Summit of 1992 and amplified in the run-up to negotiations for the Kyoto Protocol in 1997, she said.

"They don't have to prove that they're right. They don't have to prove that there's no global warming," she said.
"They simply have to raise doubts and questions, because if they can raise doubts and questions, then they can say, 'Well, since the science is not settled,' they allege, 'therefore it would be premature to act on it.' And so they delay action and avoid the kind of actions they would like to avoid."

The tactic has been so successful that climate denialism is now firmly anchored in the higher reaches of US politics, said Oreskes.

"Major Republican (Party) leaders say in public that they believe it's a hoax. This is a very shocking state of affairs, and particularly from a party that once upon a time was considered to be more scientific and more environmental than the Democrats."

Oreskes was scathing about some US media which believed that story "balance" meant giving equal weight to opposing scientific views -- even if one opinion was backed only by a small minority in the face of massive evidence to the contrary.

According to Oreskes, scientists who push climate uncertainty are not necessarily hired guns, although "some of them get money, either directly through the fossil-fuel industry or indirectly through intermediaries."
"But I don't actually think money is the primary motivation. I think it's political, ideological, it's (the desire for) attention and sometimes it's narcissistic too."

For mainstream scientists, many of these full-time dissenters are time-wasters or intellectually valueless, she said.
"These people don't do work, they don't collect data. Instead, they just criticise other people's work. And then, when they make those criticisms, they don't take them to the scientific community for scrutiny. They publish it in The Wall Street Journal, which is not a scientific journal."

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-sci ... l#firstCmt

Sparky

Re: Science under fire from 'merchants of doubt': US histori

Unread post by Sparky » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:18 am

Ideology can uplift or retard, ie., the perverse rationalizing of some smart people to impose their "beliefs", while in other areas of their life, they function using good, rational thinking. It seems that non evidence based ideologies, mostly superstitions, are the most violent and predatory, whether religious, political, or socially organized. There is a difference in brains. Some just can not admit that their beliefs may not be healthy or considerate of others. :roll:
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:22 am

If Naomi Oreskes is one of the smart ones, please do not introduce me to one of the "challenged," so to speak! Sorry to be so irreverent, but she don't preach in my church!

I doubt any or few are arguing that there is no "Global Warming." The argument is whether a change in the amount of carbon dioxide in the thousandths column of three hundredths (0.03xx%) of the volume of Earth's atmosphere has much of an effect on anything, and whether said change is detrimental or beneficial to Earth's biosphere.

First of all, these agenda driven fear mongers fail to accept any logic. They refuse to acknowledge that the Sun varies in the amount of energy released to the Solar System. The Sun is disallowed from consideration in their small world!

Next is the unarguable evidence that carbon dioxide is quite inert as a component of the air. It does form a couple of mild acids when dissolved in water. Earth's Florasphere is benefited by any however small increase in the carbon dioxide ratio of the atmosphere! That is what green plants need to survive!

Arguendo, there are human introduced pollutants being released into the atmosphere. Why do these "Protectors of The Earth" not rant equally loud for a reduction in these actually harmful products ?

I am continually amazed at how the agenda driven mentality can twist logic into a Gordian knot and still expect intelligent people to accept such nonsense!

By the way, I thought the refrigerant "Freon" which is a chlorofluorocarbon, damaged the atmosphere. How is it that the "New," more expensive refrigerant, also a chlorofluorocarbon, does not do the same said damage?
I sense a disturbance in the farce.

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:27 am

You know.... there's a disturbing familiarity to that writer's sentiment....

Phorce

Unread post by Phorce » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:46 am

I must say I find this sentiment outrageous ... and disturbing. Why not be polite and actually look at what this lady is saying rather than retreating behind your positions ?
Goldminer wrote:If Naomi Oreskes is one of the smart ones, please do not introduce me to one of the "challenged," so to speak! Sorry to be so irreverent, but she don't preach in my church!
Did you examine her book or the Wikipedia page about it ?
They refuse to acknowledge that the Sun varies in the amount of energy released to the Solar System. The Sun is disallowed from consideration in their small world!
Well give em a break ! They've been bought up with gravity. They don't know about the EU. Is that their fault ?
Arguendo, there are human introduced pollutants being released into the atmosphere. Why do these "Protectors of The Earth" not rant equally loud for a reduction in these actually harmful products ?
There was the news recently about the campaign to ban the pesticide that effects bees.
Exploration and discovery without honest investigation of "extraordinary" results leads to a Double Bind (Bateson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind ) that creates loss of hope and depression. No more Double Binds !

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:59 am

You must forgive me, but I do not view condemnation of dissent- even with token appreciation thrown in as cover- as respectable or benign.
While the topic references several examples of legitimate obfuscation by companies (ex-tobacco) that do pervert clarity of communication, in the same breath compares human-caused climate change, with the gigantic, multi-billion dollar government and scientific con job as equally oppressed by these out-of-line dissenters.

I take exception to the grouping of a demonstrably false theory with several legitimately scientific ones.
This is a literary technique often used to draw parallels between completely different things that do not carry the same merits.

Ultimately this author argues for those that agree the most to win the truth- making only passing references to competing (or more importantly, falsifying) evidence brought against the group that has declared their position is the final and unassailable truth.

Forgive the harshness of the Nazi picture- but the stark truth of "dissent is wicked and mostly lies" is a frightening method of ending real scientific and logical debate, replacing it with politics, groupthink, and coersion.

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:39 am

As an addendum to the above post, which was written on my phone and could not be well formatted/edited, I want to make clear that I don't advocate ANY kind of "junk/pseudo science"-- but I do believe any claim should be given consideration as a scientific possibility until proven otherwise. Discoveries aren't made without exploration of possibilities.
I believe that it is the science that should stand on its own two legs- not the advertisement/propagandizing of it.

While all science is prone to rejection by institutions- even correct science-- it is my belief that only repeated proof via experiment and scientific method will fortify the validity of a proposition- not diktat or dogmatizing.

NOT government decree. NOT special/financially-interested claims. NOT "belief".
Unfortunately, it is the above three things that have combined to force the very junk/quasi-science views on the world- and worst of all, force funding and punitive action upon them via theft of taxes to pay for, and laws that bind avtivities in the name of, these non-scientific beliefs.

Real science saves us-- tobacco, GMO foods (pro and con), pesticides, etc...

False science binds us-- "carbon footprint tax", "ethanol subsidies"...the list is endless--

Kindest regards--

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 am

http://phys.org/news/2012-03-science-me ... l#firstCmt

"They simply have to raise doubts and questions, because if they can raise doubts and questions, then they can say, 'Well, since the science is not settled,' they allege, 'therefore it would be premature to act on it.' And so they delay action and avoid the kind of actions they would like to avoid."
Well, when you are right, you are right. I completely agree with the above. Pure and simple science in progress.

Besides that, your theory needs to be rock-solid before anyone (including scientists) are/is willing to accept that 0.03 pro-cent of the atmosphere is accountable for the global warming/change/icing.
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

Phorce

Unread post by Phorce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 am

She's talking about political and corporate influences that can hijack the science for their own ends. I personally think that the idea that any kind of science is being "suppressed" has become way too emotionalised. I've found that I became emotionally sensitised to the term pseudo-science even when many scientists use this term - not to discount whatever area they are directing that term at - but because they regard that area as not having developed formal principles. For example in the area of criminology, graphology is regarded as pseudo-science, however it is not discounted and can be used in investigations. It's simply an indicator that that area is still developing a full, formal, scientific approach. The knee jerk reaction to any perceived control or suppression is more serious than any problems with the actual scientific argument if you ask me, and sets up an artificial divisions that feedback into the cycle. As some scientists are accused of various mistreatments - often unjustifiably - they are less likely to look at certain areas of the science. This is then used as further evidence by emotionally fuelled activists to say they are being ignored. Really we should all calm down and grow up.
Exploration and discovery without honest investigation of "extraordinary" results leads to a Double Bind (Bateson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind ) that creates loss of hope and depression. No more Double Binds !

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:25 am

HERE is another recent story detailing the "problem" of 'denialists' regarding man-made global warming, evolution, and vaccination.
Science writers now work in an age where uncomfortable ideas and truths meet organized resistance.

Organized resistance--which in many cases manifests as groups holding empirical evidence that flatly contradicts their nearly religious conventional beliefs.
Opposing scientific consensus on such things as anthropogenic climate change, the theory of evolution, and even the astonishingly obvious benefits of vaccination has become politically de rigueur, a litmus test and a genuine threat to science.
A threat to science? I think it's a threat to convention, sure, but science? The only threat to science is ignorance of fact. The pursuit of science is clarification of fact.
People that hold up ideas as fact while purposefully suppressing and rejecting conflicting information are not legitimately exploring for fact, they are exploring for confirmation of pre-existing assumptions. These things are mutually exclusive.
It seems clear that man-made catastrophic climate change is a fabrication. Short of a nuclear exchange, there isn't anything mankind has to substantially affect global temperatures. Test after test indicates this.

Evolution is discussed on this forum in many respects- I have no way of knowing what is right or wrong for sure- but I do see that there is enough solid confusion and conflicting evidence among experts here and elsewhere in academia that there should be an ongoing question of the mass of unknowns- not lock-step adoption of evolution that even Charles Darwin himself questioned later in life.

Regarding vaccines, there is precious little evidence that they do all that is claimed.
It does not matter if you are inclined to believe otherwise- a close examination of the science leaves many legitimate arguments unanswered- even by the staunchest advocates of vaccinations.

This is an important storyline that can not be easily ignored, yet that's exactly what is done. Otherwise, the evidence must be answered- and they can not but acknowledge the facts when confronted with them...so they just act like these things aren't there at all.
How does denial affect the craft of the science writer? How can science writers effectively explain disputed science? What’s the big picture? Are denialists ever right?
Good questions-- I would hope the answers would be easy- ask questions, compare facts, do science. Learn.

But the entire premise of the argument as delivered in this and other complaints about nay sayers is that "consensus" science has decided they are correct regarding their list of things, and that these loud dysfunctional 'denialists' are getting in the way of our progress. I say that's largely absurd.

If the 'denialists' have (sometimes copious) scientific evidence that shreds the assumptions of the defenders of 'consensus', then the problem ought be perceived as how to fix the broken science, not how to work around inconvenient facts.

tayga

Unread post by tayga » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:35 pm

There is a widespread tendency in Science to strive for consensus as though it is a substitute for a winning argument. I’ve seen this in many different areas and it is usually accompanied by an effort to stifle debate by vilifying dissenters.

I have no idea whether Science has always operated like this but it I doubt it. It seems like there is collective unwillingness to accept uncertainty and while this is an understandable human trait it is a hindrance to scientific research.

This frantic drive to get things explained is a shabby imitation of the quest for knowledge and I think that it, rather than dissent and doubt, is what is harming research.

I always tell students that it’s OK to be ignorant. Why else would they study? Similarly it’s OK for us scientists to have doubts. Why else would we research?
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Very well said, tayga--

I just had to post this atrocious quote from a link within the above page
Carroll, the Allan Wilson Professor of Molecular Biology and Genetics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said the way to counter denialism was to tell the story of science in a more compelling way. Science lends itself to a narrative and people remember stories more than they remember other types of information. To support his storytelling approach, Carroll discussed narrative theory’s relationship to cognitive psychology. Human thought, he said, is fundamentally structured around stories and people use narratives to understand cause and effect over time. The most powerful part of a story is that listeners become immersed in the information you are trying to tell; in a great story, they share motivations and emotions of the protagonist. He suggested writers should use the power of storytelling to convey the conclusions of science.

In his position at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Carroll helps make 10- to12-minute videos with stories illustrating science concepts for K-12 students. He showed one of the videos, which demonstrated how a favorable genetic mutation can lead to the evolution to an animal population.

“I know how to reach under 18 (year-olds) where they are captive — in the classroom,” he told the room. “Four million of them become voters each year. Within a decade that’s 40 million new voters.”

If you can reach a population with compelling scientific evidence at an age when they are forming opinions, Carroll thinks the political discussions among the electorate may slowly change.
This last part is deeply disturbing- especially because the topics he's trying to figure out better ways to sell are by no means "settled science", and the stated goal is to go after kids and drill into them his doctrine of choice early and often.

Any effort to distance political policy from academic institutions falls apart when things like this are revealed-- the real motivations are funding and votes for funding. The actual science (and the educational integrity of the kids themselves) becomes little more than window-dressing.
:oops:

Phorce

Unread post by Phorce » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:45 pm

tayga wrote:There is a widespread tendency in Science to strive for consensus as though it is a substitute for a winning argument. I’ve seen this in many different areas and it is usually accompanied by an effort to stifle debate by vilifying dissenters.
Yes, which consensus ? It's the old chestnut ... "everyone thinks that ...". A call to an unprovable proof of collective agreement or fait accompli. With logic it's possible to see around the double binds and deceptive tricks of reasoning. In my opinion the Science that is under fire includes EU/Plasma Cosmology. We are all in this together. I'm not in with this "mainstream vs. true science" bandwagon. The social reality of the situation is just too subtle for that.

I wonder if you have seen this site ... Global Warming Petition Project - 31,487 American scientists have signed this petition,
including 9,029 with PhDs
?

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Read Thomas Kuhns The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, 1962.

You'll see some of the reasons for dysfunctional psychology or sociology that come out of such periods as we are in now. This is an interesting topic, but not as productive as keeping on working toward better scientific models, in whatever field of science one may be interested in. Whether it is EU or anything else.

The Inconvenient Skeptic is John Kerr's take on global warming - yes; he's another electrical/electronics engineer, although that does not enter into his arguments, data and conclusions. Anthropomorphic causes of global warming is highly unlikely; atmospheric degradation and pollution is more likely our fault. His examination of the real global climate data collected by scientists from all over the world reveals much about the cycles we are in , and where we are in those cycles, and how little we have to do with climate on planet Earth. It rates right up there with Svensmark's The Chilling Stars.

Read widely; get a better picture.

Jim

Phorce

Unread post by Phorce » Fri May 25, 2012 4:38 am

Yes, I've been reading widely since I was old enough to do so. I now realise that my discoveries and ideas rate right up there with people such as Feyerabend. In fact they are part of a tradition that goes right back to the time of the Gnostics. Sadly we have seen many persecutions and crusades by "Science" (big s) in the last few decades. I know this from personal experience ... I have come out of an abusive family background. One of the reasons for the abuse was my expression of many ideas that conflicted with "allegedly neutral truisms," as Feyerabend puts it, such as Reincarnation and other "unproven" phenomena. The "Science under fire" (big s) thing is another classic example of the defence of the one big "Scientific" (big s) idea. Feyerabend and other's (Nietzsche for example) decry this whittling down of the amazing diversity and abundant phenomena of life to "pure" principles. Sadly those who promote the idea that they have expunged the psychology from themselves that drove the corrupt Church have given in to exactly the same mistake. It's a form of Fascism as well that tries to ram it's single view down all out throats at the expense of appreciating the plurality of worlds that we live in.