Anyone heard of a Captain H. A. Staples?

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Pygar

Anyone heard of a Captain H. A. Staples?

Unread post by Pygar » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:32 pm

I have to confess that my interest in and knowlege of the subject of the electric universe is somewhat limited (too many other interests and not enough time, I'm afraid), but I do read Thunderbolt articles when they are linked to from Rense.com, and I have been wondering if a book that appears to be historically germane to this subject, and that I acquired in a secondhand book shop about ten years ago, might be of interest to anyone here. The full title of the book is "Cosmic Machinery in an Electro-Magnetic Universe"; its author was a Capt. H. A. Staples, M.C., F. R. Met. Soc.; and it was published in London in 1939. The short blurb on the dust jacket says: "HOW THE EARTH GOES AROUND THE SUN is a popular description of the cosmical electro-magnetic relationships described in this book. It is the outcome of research extending over twenty years and links the modern theory of the atom with the motion of the planets and the rotating universe of Einstein. In the result the Earth is shown to behave like an electric motor, whilst the Sun provides the dynamic field for planetary motion."

I can find (through Googling) no reference to Capt. Staples on the Web or to this book (apart from a couple of other secondhand copies of it that are available), so I presume that he has never been mentioned on the Thunderbolts website. I guess I am posting here, mainly out of curiosity really, to try to discover if this guy was an early pioneer of the electric universe theory and perhaps a now unknown and unrecognised one. Has anyone here ever heard of him?

GaryN

Re: Anyone heard of a Captain H. A. Staples?

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:57 am

I for one would REALLY like to read that one, but those available copies are quite pricey. Any chance at all that it could be scanned?
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Pygar

Unread post by Pygar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi GaryN and thanks for the reply.

Hmm, can I scan a 224 page book into a computer whose USB2.0 ports have degraded (for some reason beyond my technical ability to diagnose and repair) to plain old (extremely slow) USB? Well, I guess yes, if I have a fair bit of time available, and I will consider it. Perhaps you would like to suggest the best way and where to upload it if I did (I don't have any PDF creation software). I could maybe try uploading a chapter first as a "taster", but even that might take a couple of days as I am extremely busy at the moment, I'm afraid.

BTW I didn't actually look at how much they were asking for the other secondhand copies available on the Web - my copy only cost £4.50 (GBP). I wonder why these other copies might be so expensive if this Capt. Staples is such a complete unknown.

Anyway, although I will try my best to satisfy you, I wonder, finally, if there is any chance that you could get to see the book through your library service (if you live in the UK or US) - okay, not very likely (although the British Museum and the Library of Congress should have copies, of course), so I guess I'm stuck with plan A. Over to you.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks for your reply Pygar. Yes, it's a puzzle to me why they would be asking $160-190 for books by an unknown. If he(Staples) were to be proven correct, then yes, those could be very valuable books, but worth nothing if he is wrong. Much as I would like to have a look at the book, I would not expect you to spend valuable time on something of dubious scientific value , though I appreciate your offer to attempt the project.
I will probably be visiting family in NW England sometime before the end of the year, so perhaps there would be a possibility of me having a look at the book if mutually agreeable arangements could be made? I'm presuming you are in England if you purchased the book in GBP.
By all means, if you have read the book, post a synopsis. I will also attempt to source the book through our Canadian library system, but there is nothing locally.
Thanks Again Pygar.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 am

GaryN wrote
I will probably be visiting family in NW England sometime before the end of the year
Bring waterproofs. And forget the sunglasses, you'd be better off with a torch. :roll: Even by our standards this is one wet, dark and miserable summer. Even the local flora looks fed up.
Where abouts are your relatives?
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:
Bring waterproofs. And forget the sunglasses, you'd be better off with a torch. Even by our standards this is one wet, dark and miserable summer. Even the local flora looks fed up.
Where abouts are your relatives?
Yes, my family have mentioned the dreary summer and heavy rains. Hmm, you didn't choose your handle whilst looking out your window by any chance?
My family is in the Blackpool area, Cleveleys and Bispham to be precise. I grew up there, though I am Canadian.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:39 am

Hi Gary,
Yes my nic is partly to do with the local weather. It's a pity I have nothing to sell as Nature is giving me free aerial advertising all summer. It's lunch-time here and you cannot see the sky only cloud. I'm putting it down to the lack of sunspot activity.
I'm in Lancashire too. Salford to be precise (approx 50 miles away from Blackpool).

And, just for the record, I've never heard of Capt. Staples or his book though I agree it does sound interesting.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:58 am

GaryN wrote:Thanks for your reply Pygar. Yes, it's a puzzle to me why they would be asking $160-190 for books by an unknown.
Pretty much anything out of print gets jacked up in price on OOP book sites like alibris & abebooks or Amazon. AbeBooks has a copy available for $65 US + $3.50 S&H. Slightly less price-gouging than other copies. But, as you say, for such an unknown author and book, the price is ridiculously high. I don't know how / why they have any hope of selling it at that price...

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 pm

In searching for HA Staples, I came across this page, with another interesting title:

http://www.austheos.org.au/indices/THFRMN.HTM

"Introduction to Electromagnetic Solar System" -- Cornelius O'Connor

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin