Thunderbolts site upgrade...

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Thunderbolts site upgrade...

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:21 am

We now have the main site operating on WordPress software. Existing links to the main pages are now redirected to the new site. You'll all see some changes, though in the main the format is similar to what it's been in the past.

Hope y'all like the upgrade!

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

flyingcloud

Re: Thunderbolts site upgrade...

Unread post by flyingcloud » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:54 am

wow, good stuff, thanks Dave

venn

Unread post by venn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Congrats on the successful move. So far everything seems to work fine.

What I don't like is that the TPODs are gone from the main menu and there is no longer a single click or a single link that gets you to the latest TPOD. I'm sure there is a plugin available that gets you to the latest page in a category directly. If not, it is easy to write ...

Also the legacy TPODs should be moved into the WP DB for consistent search results, the redirection-plugin should take care of old links. With some volunteers doing the leg work it should not be that hard to do the move. If you are planning to do this, count me in on doing some of the transfers.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.” - Halton Arp.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:08 pm

venn wrote:Congrats on the successful move. So far everything seems to work fine.
Thanks! I've even surprised myself... :mrgreen:
venn wrote:What I don't like is that the TPODs are gone from the main menu and there is no longer a single click or a single link that gets you to the latest TPOD. I'm sure there is a plugin available that gets you to the latest page in a category directly. If not, it is easy to write ...

The menu is still being looked at, and we may very well have a "picture of the day" link up there shortly. There's an issue WRT how much space we have up there without starting a second line. As far as "landing" on the current tpod, I'm not yet aware of any specific plugin for that, but feel free to email me privately if you have further info. As it is, we have people landing on a page with the latest 10 tpods, which is of course an advantage for those who don't come to the site every day. There's pros and cons no matter what we do.
venn wrote:Also the legacy TPODs should be moved into the WP DB for consistent search results, the redirection-plugin should take care of old links. With some volunteers doing the leg work it should not be that hard to do the move. If you are planning to do this, count me in on doing some of the transfers.
The legacy TPODs are a HUGE issue. There's around 1800 of them! We are investigating the options WRT adding them to the WPDB, in the meantime you can search specifically either in the legacy files or in the WP files (see the sidebar site search). As for your offer of doing some of the legwork, send me an email for private discussion!

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007

venn

Unread post by venn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 pm

davesmith_au wrote: The menu is still being looked at, and we may very well have a "picture of the day" link up there shortly. There's an issue WRT how much space we have up there without starting a second line. As far as "landing" on the current tpod, I'm not yet aware of any specific plugin for that, but feel free to email me privately if you have further info. As it is, we have people landing on a page with the latest 10 tpods, which is of course an advantage for those who don't come to the site every day. There's pros and cons no matter what we do.
Hi Dave,

the new topd menu and current linking works great. Thanks!

Andreas
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.” - Halton Arp.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:13 am

Yeah I found a plugin that does the job... gotta love wordpress!

Cheers, Dave.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Big pat on the back there, brother- site looks really good, and everything I've used so far has worked perfectly! :)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:05 am

:x

I thought TPODS were on vacation..my bookmark took me to the sep 16th as being the last one on index page....

since this new "whatever it is" works for everyone else, i have to assume that i was singled out to mess with....now i see...

Pick on the guy with the dell gx 1... :(

:D
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Sparky wrote::x

I thought TPODS were on vacation..my bookmark took me to the sep 16th as being the last one on index page....

since this new "whatever it is" works for everyone else, i have to assume that i was singled out to mess with....now i see...

Pick on the guy with the dell gx 1... :(

:D
C'mon, it's a bad carpenter who blames his tools... :mrgreen: and I'm doing all my work on a crappy 4 year old Windoze laptop... :roll: OK, so I've got a 21 inch screen attached - shhhhhh.

Anyway Sparky, we cannot have index the both as a legacy page and a redirect to the new archive, so it was an either/or decision... Simply go to the site (click on the red "thunderbolts.info" logo at the top of the forum) and check out the new picture of the day menu, and bookmark what you want!

Cheers, Dave.