Aether-Related Website(s)

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

pln2bz

Aether-Related Website(s)

Unread post by pln2bz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:48 pm

I found a very interesting aether website ...

http://www.paradox-paradigm.nl/

Seems worth sharing with people.

pln2bz

Re: Aether-Related Website(s)

Unread post by pln2bz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:19 pm

pln2bz

Unread post by pln2bz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Background on Whittaker and the Aether, author of "A History of the Theories of Aether and Electricity" ...

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath571/kmath571.htm

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:48 am

pln2bz wrote:Background on Whittaker and the Aether, author of "A History of the Theories of Aether and Electricity" ...

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath571/kmath571.htm
Errr....
"As everyone knows, the aether played a great part in the physics of the nineteenth century; but in the first decade of the twentieth, chiefly as a result of the failure of attempts to observe the earth's motion relative to the aether, and the acceptance of the principle that such attempts must always fail, the word 'aether' fell out of favour, and it became customary to refer to the interplanetary spaces as 'vacuous'; the vacuum being conceived as mere emptiness, having no properties except that of propagating electromagnetic waves. But with the development of quantum electro-dynamics, the vacuum has come to be regarded as the seat of the 'zero-point' oscillations of the electromagnetic field, of the 'zero-point' fluctuations of electric charge and current, and of a 'polarisation' corresponding to a dielectric constant different from unity. It seems absurd to retain the name 'vacuum' for an entity so rich in physical properties, and the historical word 'aether' may fitly be retained."
That's awesome.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

Carel

Unread post by Carel » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:58 am

The mistake science made in the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century was overlooking the second possibility of a dragged ether.

The absolute ether was correctly denied because of the Michelson and Morley experiment. The only dragged ether scientists considered was ether dragged by a mass, for example the Earth, where the light was also dragged. Scientists did not analyze the possibilties of dragged ether where the light was not dragged (vacuum resp. ether that did not influence the impulse of light).

Analyzing the physical properties of dragged ether where the light is not dragged by the ether gives the derivation of formulas that predict the stellar aberration and of Doppler-effect of any star any time of the year exactly. Was the article "Stellar Aberration and the Unjustified Denial of Ether" http://www.paradox-paradigm.nl/van_der_ ... -final.pdf published before 1905 Einstein would never have published or written his papers about SRT.

Where would science be if that happened?

pln2bz

Unread post by pln2bz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Yes, nearly everything that I'm reading on the subject of aether points to this concept of "aether drag". Another way to think about it is to consider the aether to be both a solid and a liquid at the same time. Individual units are quite solid. They can deflect in various ways, according to David Thomson, but they are essentially incompressible. On the other hand, the fabric which connects them is a fluid. In this way, the aether is both a solid and a liquid at the same time -- which is more-or-less the same concept as liquid crystal display. From what I've gathered to date, Dayton-Miller tested for this and generated a positive result. This result was never validated even though Einstein recognized the validity of the result, and called for the experiment to be repeated. So, we can have liquid-solid displays on our calculators, but not in the aether ...

Um, yeah. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense really. Is there an error in this logic somewhere? The aether websites and books I'm seeing are incredibly rich in detail and argumentation. And yet, they are completely ignored for the sake of consensus.

Another way to think of the aether's fluid-like nature is to imagine that not only can aether affect matter, but matter can also affect aether. Michelson-Morley appears to only have tested for the idea that aether is unaffected by matter.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:10 am

I read the paper last night. I haven't finished reading your site Carel but I'm very impressed with:

The Electric Field and the Aether

It reminds me of something I read from Lord Kelvin but I don't readily have the appropriate link.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden