misinformation

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

rickard

misinformation

Unread post by rickard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 am

Hi

I searched for the electric universe theory on the net and found this text on "Rationalwiki".

"EU advocates[edit]
EU advocates can be roughly split into two groups. The first are garden-variety physics cranks who are convinced that they have a legitimate, revolutionary scientific theory, and that the scientific establishment is either blindly ignoring them out of misplaced faith in their own theories, or deliberately suppressing them for some greater, nefarious purpose.

The second group is composed of various other woo-peddlers who use EU claims to prop up their main ideas (because mainstream physics would blow them apart). For these people, the EU hypothesis is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. The more common subsets of this group include some Young Earth creationists, who wish to discredit the mainstream cosmology and geology suggesting that Earth is billions of years old, and some of the loonier fringes of global warming denialism (such as Vault-Co), who are trying to find some process outside human control that they can attribute climate change to. The latter particularly like the hypotheses of Pierre-Marie Robitaille.

EU conferences[edit]
Each year the Electric Universe holds their annual EU conference, where a seemingly endless parade of misguided fools take to the stage and discuss mythology, homeopathy, dipole gravity, and other equally absurd nonsense. The only common thread is the notion that a conspiracy is afoot to suppress their oddball beliefs.[5] The conferences are open to the public, provided you cough up the $395 price of admission.[6][7]"

My question is, Is it really allowed to write things like that and publically offend serious scientists ?
The situation is really very serious when pubblic information is misleading people in such a degree.
Is there no laws against such misinformation?

Cargo

Re: misinformation

Unread post by Cargo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 am

Never heard of that wiki site. Must be full of cranks and fools.
interstellar filaments conducted electricity having currents as high as 10 thousand billion amperes

rickard

Unread post by rickard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am

Cargo wrote:Never heard of that wiki site. Must be full of cranks and fools.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Electric_Universe

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am

hi rickard,
My question is, Is it really allowed to write things like that and publically offend serious scientists ?
The situation is really very serious when pubblic information is misleading people in such a degree.
Is there no laws against such misinformation?
Civil action, such as a slander/libel lawsuit would be up to an offended party to pursue, if they were so inclined. The problem with that course is that you are not going to get a fair hearing in such a legal environment. Think about it, judges will not make decisions on scientific issues by themselves; they are going to rely on testimony from qualified experts.
From where do you think they are going to get those experts?
Universities, research organizations both private and public, NASA, etc. etc....
In other words - mainstream.
So that course is probably not destined to achieve any degree of success.

What we have to realize is that (with the EU) we are dealing with an attempted paradigm shift in science. The peer review system works well within the prevailing paradigm, but responds with hostility to attacks on the fundamental assumptions of the prevailing paradigm. Establishment scholars perceive this as an attack upon their lifetime work. It is tough to tell someone who worked hard to get a PhD (whose subject was what happened in the seconds following the Big Bang) that the Big Bang never happened.

Many of the people associated with the website to which you linked are mentioned in one of the many threads by Michael Mozina. He chronicles an assortment of false arguments and ad hominem attacks made against him in various mainstream forums.

Don Scott has some rebuttals (in the Assorted Papers section) to mainstream attacks:
http://electric-cosmos.org/indexOLD.htm
there is also an interesting link to Scott's 2009 lecture at the NASA Goddard Space Center:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tqgnt ... 2EA70D493D

rickard

Unread post by rickard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks for the answer and the links.

I guess it's no idea to use more energy on this question, I just reacted to the "contemptuos" tone in the text.

Fortunately the truth will ultimately win ....

Cargo

Unread post by Cargo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Sorry rickard, I suppose my attempt at irony was lost in my previous reply. I certainly didn't need a link to find it if I wanted to look at it.

But you seemed to have reached my intended conclusion anyway. Some people have the energy still to forum battle between websites. I do not.
interstellar filaments conducted electricity having currents as high as 10 thousand billion amperes