Gamma and X-Rays from modest thunderstorms

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

madkevo

Gamma and X-Rays from modest thunderstorms

Unread post by madkevo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:20 am

Hi all,
very interesting read on the BBC news website today. No matter what thunderstorms scientists look at they see Gamma Rays and X Rays being produced.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30491840
To me one sentence jumped out at me: "The Fermi space telescope measured the outbursts rising up and out of the atmosphere", could this mean that the gamma ray burst is produced between the cloud and the ionosphere ?
/MK

willendure

Re: Gamma and X-Rays from modest thunderstorms

Unread post by willendure » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:48 am

madkevo wrote:Hi all,
very interesting read on the BBC news website today. No matter what thunderstorms scientists look at they see Gamma Rays and X Rays being produced.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30491840
To me one sentence jumped out at me: "The Fermi space telescope measured the outbursts rising up and out of the atmosphere", could this mean that the gamma ray burst is produced between the cloud and the ionosphere ?
/MK
At school I was told that the energy in thunderstorms comes from two clouds colliding, and the water droplets rubbing up against each other, like millions of little balloons rubbed on a woolly jumper. Of course, my geography teacher didn't really have hard evidence to support this, but it was a good story for the kids.

Do you think all the energy in a thunderstorm, and in lightning comes from the clouds and the energy they have gained through convection currents? Its starting to look like there is a real connection between thunderstorms and the electrical environment in space around the earth.

Do you think thunderstorms cause the electrical activity we see above them? Or is electrical weather in space causing the thunderstorm? Or some combination of the two, as in one on its own may only cause a small storm, but both acting together a bigger storm, or something along those lines.

So fascinating, I loved reading about the recent experiments to observe the electrical activity occurring above thunderstorms.