Parenago's Discontinuity - solar velocity changes with temp

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

marcusstratus

Parenago's Discontinuity - solar velocity changes with temp

Unread post by marcusstratus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 am

Hello folks, this is my first post. I've been meaning to start some discussions but haven't been able to get around to it, but this tipped me over the fence. I recently came across this article on NBC news where they were discussing experiments that attempted to determine if the universe is conscious, "questioning whether the cosmos has an inner life similar to our own". The subject of that article is a discussion for another day, but one of the scientists based his theory on something called Paranego's Discontinuity. I've been trying to understand the discontinuity and it appears to be an observed difference in orbital speed of stars around our galaxy in comparison to our Sun. From the data, the speed difference is related to apparent magnitude (if I'm understanding the variables correctly). The article above summarizes, "On average, cooler stars orbit our galaxy more quickly an do hotter ones. Most astronomers attribute the effect to interactions between stars and gas clouds..."

This got me thinking, if stars that are emitting more energy are traveling slower than stars emitting less energy, possibly this is more due to their interaction with the galactic disk (thinking of how it's harder to turn a generator the more energy you're outputting, likely a loose analogy). Anyway, here's some more information on the subject:

Dynamics of Young Star Clusters and Associations This book also goes on to discuss how Spitzer and Schwarzschild think Parenago's Discontinuity is just stars interacting with molecular clouds. (reading p265-266. If pages aren't visable, try scrolling up and down until you're able to preview them)

Also, most results when I Googled "Parenago's Discontinuity" are discussing the subject of the original NBC article, stating that one hypothesis for the velocity difference is that stars are consciously moving themselves... so you have to dig a bit to get beyond that.

D_Archer

Re: Parenago's Discontinuity - solar velocity changes with t

Unread post by D_Archer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:01 am

Cooler stars are smaller than larger stars, that could explain the difference in speed already, if this 'parenago's discontinuity' is a correct interpreted observation*

Regards,
Daniel

*maybe mainstream astronomers interpret redshift (wrongly) of cooler stars to mean greater velocity when in fact the stars move at the same speed.
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

marcusstratus

Re: Parenago's Discontinuity - solar velocity changes with t

Unread post by marcusstratus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:43 am

D_Archer wrote:Cooler stars are smaller than larger stars, that could explain the difference in speed already, if this 'parenago's discontinuity' is a correct interpreted observation
Yes indeed, good point. The size of the stars is what would influence the gas cloud interaction theory. Same thing about red shift, since there's a number of other sources where they appear to be interpreting it incorrectly.

Thanks for the response, I'm wondering if anyone else is familiar with the discontinuity.