The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Unread postby JHL » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:12 am

A physicist confirms Thornhill on the insurmountable problem of physics as a wrong-headed habit instead of a valid scientific pursuit.

http://nautil.us/blog/the-present-phase ... not-normal

Nothing is moving in the foundations of physics. One experiment after the other is returning null results: No new particles, no new dimensions, no new symmetries. Sure, there are some anomalies in the data here and there, and maybe one of them will turn out to be real news. But experimentalists are just poking in the dark. They have no clue where new physics may be to find. And their colleagues in theory development are of no help.

Ten-thousands of wrong predictions sounds dramatic, but it’s actually an underestimate. I am merely summing up predictions that have been made for physics beyond the standard model which the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was supposed to find: All the extra dimensions in their multiple shapes and configurations, all the pretty symmetry groups, all the new particles with the fancy names. You can estimate the total number of such predictions by counting the papers, or, alternatively, the people working in the fields and their average productivity.

They were all wrong. Even if the LHC finds something new in the data that is yet to come, we already know that the theorists’ guesses did not work out. Not. A. Single. One. How much more evidence do they need that their methods are not working?

I am afraid there is nothing that can stop them. They review each other’s papers. They review each other’s grant proposals. And they constantly tell each other that what they are doing is good science. Why should they stop? For them, all is going well. They hold conferences, they publish papers, they discuss their great new ideas. From the inside, it looks like business as usual, just that nothing comes out of it.


Sabine Hossenfelder is a Research Fellow at the Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies where she works on physics beyond the standard model, phenomenological quantum gravity, and modifications of general relativity. If you want to know more about what is going wrong with the foundations of physics, read her book Lost in Math: How Beauty Leads Physics Astray.
JHL
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Re: The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Unread postby BeAChooser » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:29 am

Yep!

https://www.quantamagazine.org/what-no- ... -20160809/

Physicists at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Europe have explored the properties of nature at higher energies than ever before, and they have found something profound: nothing new.

It’s perhaps the one thing that no one predicted 30 years ago when the project was first conceived.

… snip …

“It’s striking that we’ve thought about these things for 30 years and we have not made one correct prediction that they have seen,” said Nima Arkani-Hamed, a professor of physics at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, N.J.

… snip …

The absence of new particles almost certainly means that the laws of physics are not natural in the way physicists long assumed they are.


Looks like dark matter isn't the only thing that's missing ...
BeAChooser
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Unread postby Zyxzevn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:10 pm

The problem is that theoretical physics has introduced theories that can not be disproven,
and have no direct connection with reality.

That is due to the focus on maths over basic sense.
Scientists have stepped away from observable and practical reality and stepped into
mathematical science-fiction.
They have removed space and time and almost every other simple measurable quantity,
because it was more mathematically more convenient.

They even pretend that it is OK that everything just spontaneously came out of nothing.
Or that it is OK that imaginary magnetic field lines bump into each other.
Or to have physics based fully on randomness.

And after the older scientists lost their minds, the students took over
fighting to get the best grades in repeating the nonsense.
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@
User avatar
Zyxzevn
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Re: The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Unread postby neilwilkes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:55 am

It will never stop until the money is finally turned off.
The final paragraph in the second article really says it all from their perspective (also, see my signature)
Talk of disappointment is “crazy talk,” Arkani-Hamed said. “It’s actually nature! We’re learning the answer! These 6,000 people are busting their butts and you’re pouting like a little kid because you didn’t get the lollipop you wanted?”
You will never get a man to understand something his salary depends on him not understanding.
User avatar
neilwilkes
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:30 am
Location: London, England

Re: The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Unread postby Michael Mozina » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:55 pm

Zyxzevn wrote:The problem is that theoretical physics has introduced theories that can not be disproven,
and have no direct connection with reality.

That is due to the focus on maths over basic sense.
Scientists have stepped away from observable and practical reality and stepped into
mathematical science-fiction.
They have removed space and time and almost every other simple measurable quantity,
because it was more mathematically more convenient.

They even pretend that it is OK that everything just spontaneously came out of nothing.
Or that it is OK that imaginary magnetic field lines bump into each other.
Or to have physics based fully on randomness.

And after the older scientists lost their minds, the students took over
fighting to get the best grades in repeating the nonsense.


That about sums it up alright. The mathematical myth making is the most damaging IMO. It's one thing to attach math to a concept like gravity, or EM fields and then "test" such mathematical models over time, because we know from direct human experience that these things actually exist in nature, so empirically testing various mathematical models in controlled experiments is actually pretty straight forward.

When however they started simply "making up" things like exotic matter, and exotic energy, space expansion and inflation, there is no logical way to ever *falsify* such cause/effect claims. That is because they are simply affirming the consequent fallacies to start with in terms of the original cause/effect claim, and they simply "tweak" their myth-math anyway they wish while ignoring all the negative results of their "experiments". It's a pure affirming the consequent cause/effect claim that's sustains the mathematical memes with pure denial of any and all negative results. Outright falsification of the cause/effect claim is therefore impossible.

I do think that the college grading system, severe publication biases, and job limitations also play a major role in the stagnation process. Anything or anyone that doesn't fit or doesn't parrot the standard dogma is automatically discounted by the teachers, the editors, and those who get to hire new employees. Anyone that doesn't toe the party line is given bad grades, they are blocked from the major publication channels, and they are automatically passed over for any decent job opportunities. This creates a closed loop "group think" process that makes it virtually impossible for real change to occur.

It still blows my mind that Kristian Birkeland not only "explained" the sun's sustained full sphere hot corona, he simulated it in the lab as well. Yet even to this very day the mainstream continues to ignore his successful lab results in favor of "pseudoscience" that cannot and never will produce a sustained, full sphere hot corona in the lab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m58-CfVrsN4

Not only did Birkeland's solar experiments *work* in the lab, they empirically reproduce all the important observations that we see in satellite images of solar atmospheric activity. Instead of embracing positive empirical lab results that enjoy a century of laboratory success, they discount positive lab results in favor of an entirely bogus claim about magnetic fields that doesn't work in the lab to produce a sustained full sphere hot corona, or a sustained planetary aurora. Magnetic reconnection is a total fail in terms of reproducing anything remotely like a full sphere, sustained hot corona in a lab experiment. Virtually all of the experiments on "magnetic reconnection" are also driven by electric current to start with!

The mainstream is simply lost in their own ego. They can't and won't accept the possibility that they're on the wrong track, so every single time their experiments fail, they simply ignore the negative results, and they build a more 'sensitive' version of the same experiment. They throw good money after bad so they don't have to admit their mistakes.

Just look at all the failed exotic matter tests over the last decade. They've now spent billions and billions of dollars on exotic matter claims. They've flunked every single 'test" of their claim, and they have found absolutely nothing. Instead of acknowledging that their ideas are fundamentally flawed, they simply build another even more expensive experiment and then they repeat the same denial based process over and over and over again. They have a *serious* case of confirmation bias. Only positive results will be accepted. Negative results only act to "constrain" their bogus claims.

It's also mind-boggling how badly their claims violate basic laws of physics, like the conservation of energy laws, and yet they still think it's "ok" to do that. :( What the hell??????

The problem in particle physics is that the standard particle model is now complete. If it's also accurate, everyone is now out of a job. The problem in astronomy is that if the standard particle physics model is accurate and complete, their careers and their models have been a complete waste of time. Their egos and their need for prestige and income prevent them from embracing the empirical facts. It's a closed feedback loop.
Michael Mozina
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Mt. Shasta, CA

Re: The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Unread postby Michael Mozina » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:27 pm

I should add that particle physics research is a victim of it's own incredible success over the past 50 years. The standard particle physics model has now "passed" every conceivable test with flying colors, right down to secondary interactions that are correctly predicted by the standard model. LHC verified the last remaining major aspect of the standard particle physics model.

If the standard particle physics model is found to be 100 percent accurate at LHC, there really is no scientific justification from the realm of particle physics for building a bigger collider and every theoretical physicist is effectively wasting their time and out of a job. I don't think congress is likely to fund an even bigger multi-billion dollar bigger collider based strictly upon "scientific curiosity".

Astronomers would also be SOL because without a *non* standard particle physics model to work with, they'd have to admit the utter failure of the LCDM model. Prestige turns into humiliation.

Theoretical particle physicists therefore point at astronomy as justification for their future scientific research, and astronomers use the scientific "gaps" to the stuff in their bogus metaphysical nonsense. The "dark matter" mythology is therefore a convenient way for everyone to keep their jobs, but at a serious cost to real scientific progress in terms of space exploration and research.

I personally would (and do) support future particle physics research based on pure scientific curiosity. I'd feel a lot better about it however if LCDM wasn't used as a form of justification for such research. The interdependence on metaphysical mumbo-jumbo between particle physics and astronomy today is just ridiculous. It does more harm than good IMO.

From the article:

We know this both because dark matter is merely a placeholder for something we don’t understand, and because the mathematical formulation of particle physics is incompatible with the math we use for gravity.


That's actually a completely false premise and a completely false statement. That very fundamental error describes the real problem of stagnation in a nutshell. Gravity *alone* should *not* be used to attempt to describe all events in space. That's the real problem with astronomy today, not any basic incompatibility between GR theory (or gravity) and the standard particle physics model. This common misconception and blatant misstatement of fact is the biggest problem in astronomy and particle physics research. It's the reason they are both stuck in a rut. It's why particle physicists don't just claim "success", and it's why astronomers won't stop trying to describe all events in space as being caused strictly by gravity alone.

Ten-thousands of wrong predictions sounds dramatic, but it’s actually an underestimate. I am merely summing up predictions that have been made for physics beyond the standard model which the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was supposed to find: All the extra dimensions in their multiple shapes and configurations, all the pretty symmetry groups, all the new particles with the fancy names. You can estimate the total number of such predictions by counting the papers, or, alternatively, the people working in the fields and their average productivity.

They were all wrong. Even if the LHC finds something new in the data that is yet to come, we already know that the theorists’ guesses did not work out. Not. A. Single. One. How much more evidence do they need that their methods are not working?


There is absolutely nothing wrong with the *methods* that are being used at LHC, and there is absolutely nothing "wrong" with the standard particle physics model either. Quite the contrary. The standard particle physics model has passed every possible logical test done at LHC in fact. The only thing that's actually "wrong" in physics today is the LCMD model of cosmology, specifically astronomers' reliance upon gravity alone to describe all observations from space. That's the real problem in physics today, not their "methods" of doing particle physics research.
Michael Mozina
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Mt. Shasta, CA

The standard model wins again.....

Unread postby Michael Mozina » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:35 pm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 140928.htm

A new study suggests that many theorized heavy particles, if they exist at all, do not have the properties needed to explain the predominance of matter over antimatter in the universe.

If confirmed, the findings would force significant revisions to several prominent theories posed as alternatives to the Standard Model of particle physics, which was developed in the early 1970s. Researchers from Yale, Harvard, and Northwestern University conducted the study, which was published Oct. 17 in the journal Nature.


Just a little over a month ago, the standard particle physics model passed yet another important test of it's predictions related to electron roundness, whereas various non-standard particle physics models failed yet again.

Notice how they're already discussing "revisions" to any and all non-standard particle physics models? That's exactly why dark matter claims are simply not falsifiable and therefore they are not actually "science*, they're a form of dogma!

If any other theory in science had failed so many critical "tests", it would have been tossed out a long time ago. Dark matter claims have failed so many so called "tests" at this point it's not even funny. Confirmation bias is alive and well in physics today.
Michael Mozina
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Mt. Shasta, CA

Re: The standard model wins again.....

Unread postby Zyxzevn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Michael Mozina wrote:If any other theory in science had failed so many critical "tests", it would have been tossed out a long time ago.

The model of the sun is so completely devoid of basic science, that I draw the line there:
Mainstream does not understand much of our sun and solar system,
which we can see in the physical impossible models (like magnetic reconnection, extreme heat).

So anything further is likely to be more off..

From this all it is clear that science can not correct itself.
Not even the clearest of errors are corrected, and criticism is attacked.
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@
User avatar
Zyxzevn
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Re: The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Unread postby seasmith » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:51 pm

Zyxzevn wrote:
Michael Mozina wrote:..

From this all it is clear that science can not correct itself.
Not even the clearest of errors are corrected, and criticism is attacked.


Just another sign of the Times, along with the fake news (i.e. big lie) promulgated by elite academia and tax payer-subsidized "research" projects enabled by
deep-state special interest groups.

Note the trends and follow the money, they all lead in the same direction.
The indoctrinated sheep just trail along.
:arrow:
seasmith
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:59 pm

Re: The standard model wins again.....

Unread postby Michael Mozina » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:36 am

Zyxzevn wrote:The model of the sun is so completely devoid of basic science, that I draw the line there:
Mainstream does not understand much of our sun and solar system,
which we can see in the physical impossible models (like magnetic reconnection, extreme heat).


I just watched an episode of Space's deepest secrets on the subject of aurora that underscored your point perfectly.

Not once during the entire show did they even mention Kristian Birkeland, or the terms "current" or "electric" field. They dumbed it all down to magnetism, and never mentioned the currents that sustain any of the processes involved in aurora. What a sad state of affairs. The mainstream doesn't understand even the most basic elements of coronal heating, coronal loops, polar jets, the real "cause" of solar wind, etc, all things which Birkeland not only 'understood' 100+ years ago, but also recreated in lab experiments over a century ago.

They even used the term "steve" rather than the proper scientific term "Birkeland current" to avoid any discussion of currents running though the system. It really was sad to watch.

I'm really hoping that the Parker Solar probe data starts to turn the tide since it has the ability to measure electric fields. Even still, I'm not holding my breath.

You'd think something as obvious as the real heat source of the sun's full sphere, "hot" corona wouldn't "mystify" astronomers today since Birkeland created them in his lab over a century ago, but alas they're still groping around like clueless little children. Birkeland and his team were so far ahead of the mainstream over a century ago that it's not even funny. At the rate they're going, it could be another 100 years before they "get it" too. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m58-CfVrsN4

How can they even watch that kind of video and not see the obvious, specifically that all those "heating"" processes are caused by electric fields and current? The electric field generates the kinetic energy to make it all work and sustains it over time too. Anyone can see that if they *want* to see that. It even works in the lab.
Michael Mozina
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Mt. Shasta, CA

Re: The standard model wins again.....

Unread postby Zyxzevn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Michael Mozina wrote:Not once during the entire show did they even mention Kristian Birkeland, or the terms "current" or "electric" field. They dumbed it all down to magnetism, and never mentioned the currents that sustain any of the processes involved in aurora. What a sad state of affairs.


Astronomers had one job, and already screwed up with the nearest star.
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@
User avatar
Zyxzevn
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Re: The Abnormal Stagnation of Physics

Unread postby JHL » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:04 am

Montgomery Childs does a superb job of distinguishing the theoretical from the empirical here: https://youtu.be/2u7YF4b3VfE. Personally it's one of the better presentations I've seen in conjunction with the EU. The upshot will be obvious. He even quotes Newton and Einstein in support of the empirical finding. By now the theoretical has gotten completely lopsided.
JHL
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:11 pm


Return to Electric Universe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests