Electric Comets Re-write Space Science

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Electric Comets Re-write Space Science

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:57 pm

January 09, 2010 ~ Michael Goodspeed

On January 3rd, 2010, the SOHO satellite captured images of a comet disintegrating as it approached close to the Sun. The comet was what's known as a "Sungrazer" -- comets whose orbits lead them very near the Sun. Although one would not get the impression from science news reports on the comet, Sungrazers present an unresolved puzzle for astronomers. [More...]

NOTE: It's great to have Michael Goodspeed writing for us again after he took a well-earned break. Welcome back Michael!
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

mharratsc

Re: Electric Comets Re-write Space Science

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Very concise and factual, and a well-stated and succinct conclusion, Michael! Kudos! :)

Mike H.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

MrAmsterdam

Re: Electric Comets Re-write Space Science

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:23 am

I think I found another "electric" correlation.
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/17469 ... Panhandle-

Did a comet strike Earth, leaving crystalline dust in the Oklahoma Panhandle?

A giant comet slammed into the atmosphere and fractured. The resulting swarm of fragments also exploded, scattering tiny diamonds in widely separated locations and plunging the warming Earth into a renewed and deadly deep freeze.

By firing X-rays through the remaining material, the comet researchers found what they were looking for, "nanodiamonds" a millionth of a millimeter across, so small 1 billion would be only the size of a sugar cube. Such carbon structures cannot be created by any natural forces on Earth, Bement said. Only the pressures and heat from something like a comet burst could produce them.
The conclusion is incorrect. Pressure and heat are not the only phenomena producing diamonds.

The following link suggests a correlation between lowdensity hydrocarbon plasma and diamond layer formation.
http://www.turpion.org/php/paper.phtml? ... er_id=3061

Abstract
Heterogeneous and homogeneous processes in the formation of diamond at low pressures, where diamond is a metastable modification of carbon, are discussed. Data on the kinetics of the growth of diamond from hydrocarbons under conditions which give codeposition with graphite are reported, together with data on the influence of hydrogen on this process and on the resulting fractionation of the stable carbon isotopes. Chemical and plasma-chemical methods of preparing diamond and diamond-like layers are discussed, as well as methods based on the use of atomic and ionic beams. The most recent theoretical and experimental results on the homogeneous formation of diamond in the gas phase are presented.
It is ofcourse speculation from my part.

Message for Admin Dave. I could not find the original - electric comet - post. Could you put this message there if possible?
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934