Tech Support

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

StevenJay

Re: Tech Support

Unread post by StevenJay » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:43 am

nick c wrote:Hi StevenJay,
That has happened to me too.
When posting long rants :o it is probably wise to do it in Wordpad, or Notepad or whatever, and then copy and paste it to the forum. You can just type in the BBCodes as desired.
It also prevents you from losing everything you wrote if there is a malfunction with the submit or preview button.
Yeah, I usually do it that way on XL rants, especially if they consist of "slippery," hard-to-articulate ideas that make the left side of my brain hurt! :lol:
It's all about perception.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:58 am

I'm also having problems with the jumping scrolling text box.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

duffyhayes

adding images

Unread post by duffyhayes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 am

Hi,

Can someone tell me how to attach images to forum post.

thanks a lot

----------------------------
Follow your dreams as you don't know where it might take you

Grey Cloud

Re: adding images

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:27 am

Hi Duffy,
Click on the 'upload attachemnt' tab below the reply text box.
Browse down to your image.
Click 'add the file'
Place the cursor where you want the image to go in the text box.
Click 'place inline'.
Click 'preview' or 'submit'.

NB max image size is 50 KiB.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:17 am

On this "Uploading Attachments" thing-
I''ve tried jpg's and tif's and it always says, "Extension not allowed"

Does it work for Macs, as well as PC's ?

s

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Ant-nebula-rotated_450x439.jpg
Above is an attached 38kb ".jpg" file uploaded using the "Upload Attachment" tab at the bottom of the forum post editing window, and then posted using the "Place inline" button just below the editing window once the file has been uploaded to the server using the mentioned "Upload Attachment" tab. There should be no difference whether the file is posted from a pc or a mac.

I'm not familiar with a ".tif" extension, but if you're referring to the ".tiff" format (Tagged Image File Format) extension, those are not allowed for technical reasons.

Allowed formats on the forums are ".jpg" ".jpeg" ".png" and ".gif". File-size limit of 50kb (50,000 bytes).

The first thing would be to "check your work" and eliminate the possibility of user-error as the most common reason. I don't have a mac to verify image uploading to the forums so if any of our members use a mac that would be helpful info just to verify one way or the other, tho' I can think of no reason why that should be a factor.

Also, which browser are you using and which version is it?
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:40 pm

arc-us,

Thank you for the reply.
Been using the latest Safari browser that comes with an IMAC. Have Firefox also, guess i can give that a try.

s

New Error msg":
Image file type mismatch: expected extension tif but extension jpg given.
The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 50 KiB.

The file is only 47 kb ...

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:38 pm

I have successfully uploaded jpg's, gif's, and png's using Safari, FIrefox, and IE8 (as well as v.7). That's using a pc, Windows Vista sp2 (and previously XP).

The error message you just posted sounds like you just tried renaming a tiff file to a jpg extension without actually using an image conversion utility to convert the actual file format. EDIT: Another possibility is that wherever you originally saved the image from, if it was a tiff file format and you accidentally renamed the file or whatever to something as a jpg extension -- that would give the same result i.e. the pgm is seeing a tiff file format in the file header info but seeing a jpg extension, resulting in a file type mismatch.

Also, file size between programs may not be precise depending on how each program does the computation; also some pgms may not give you the exact size on disk unless specified in a pgm setting/option somewhere. One would expect 47kb to fit within the 50kb limitation but try an even smaller one to test just to make sure, say 20-30k or so.

tif or tiff is not an allowed file type on the Tbolt forum so if that error msg is being generated by phpbb3 as you're trying to upload an attachment I don't know why; unless it will still detect a tiff-format even tho' it won't allow it to be uploaded such as if you had tried simply renaming a tiff file to a jpg without actually converting the image as mentioned earlier.

Try uploading a very small jpg image file that you know for certain is actually in jpg format -- you could save the file I uploaded above (right-click on the image, select "save image as" "save link as" or however the browser you're using words it, and save to your desktop), then try re-uploading it to this thread.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:17 pm

~
arc-us,

Very well explained, thank you.
Had been playing around with a new little free foto shrinking program there.
May need to upgrade...

Offshore with laptop now, so pick this up later.

Thanksagain,
s

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: Tech Support - Session Time Limit changes

Unread post by davesmith_au » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Giday all, after reading quite a number of cases of people's posts "going missing" whilst they are in preparation, and noting that it is usually when preparing longer more detailed posts that this happens, we have increased the Session Time (the time you remain signed in for) from one hour to two hours.

Please note, it is a much safer and less frustrating experience to compile your longer posts in a simple text editor on your machine rather than directly on the forum. If you do this, you can be assured that even if there's a glitch which throws you out, you have a copy which you can copy and paste in a new post in a matter of seconds.

Either way, I hope extending the session time helps to alleviate the problem.

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:11 am

That's brilliant Dave. Thanks to you, and all the team, for your hard work.

Cheers!

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:13 am

For anyone who may be interested, I finally got around to correcting (I think) the shortcut button to insert a masked url. It used to be labeled "url2=" on the row of buttons just above the post editing window when creating a new, or replying to an existing, post. It never actually worked, however. This one should; at least it did for me during testing. The button is now labeled "maskurl=" . Its use is just to save a little bit of time typing by inserting the requisite bbcode fields for you. Also, when clicked on, a link created using the button should also open the link in a new instance of a browser tab or window (depending on which you have your browser set up for as default) instead of using the same window as is the case with using the [URL] button or pasting in a url directly. Hopefully, the image below will explain its use clearly enough.
mask_url.jpg
(click on image for a larger view)

Many of you already know that the same effect can be achieved by manually typing in the complete bbcode below:

Code: Select all

[url=http://some_url_address.com]Your Descriptive Title or Text Here[/url]
or by hitting the button of the editing window and then ... code][url]

Manually add missing elements to the above button-inserted code:

[url=http://some_url_address.com]Some Descriptive Title or Text Here[/url]

[/code]

The result of using any of the above methods:
Thunderbolts Site Main Page
(using the button, opens in a new browser tab or window instance)

[url=http://thunderbolts.info]Thunderbolts Site Main Page[/url]
(using the [URL] button with "=" and alternate description text inserted, opens in the same tab or window you are currently browsing[---][/---]unfortunately, I have no way to modify this default behavior of the [URL] button.

The result of using the [URL] button without the masking form:
[url]http://thunderbolts.info[/url]

The result of simply copying/pasting a url directly into a message with without using either the [URL] or the [maskurl=] buttons:

http://thunderbolts.info

MattEU

what is the thunderbolts favicon?

Unread post by MattEU » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:23 am

just wondering what the favicon is meant to be or mean?

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: what is the thunderbolts favicon?

Unread post by davesmith_au » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Giday Matt, Thunederb0lts doesn't have a "Favicon" by the true sense of the word, that is the tiny (16x16px) image which appears in a brower tab and which is added to "favorites" listings (IE) etc, such as the circular "TFD" which is on the tab when you click the "Favicon" link (which links to The Free Dictionary - TFD) in this passage.

As we don't even have an image which is used across site (notwithstanding that the red "thunderbolts.info" on the top banners is an image, for consistency reasons), I imagine you mean the choice of the term "thunderbolts" in thunderbolts.info(?) Please clarify.

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

bboyer

Re: what is the thunderbolts favicon?

Unread post by bboyer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm seeing the same thing, but apparently only in Firefox (using v 3.6). Just checked in IE and there is no favicon, just the default IE logo. Don't recall when I first noticed it, whether when I upgraded to Firefox 3.6 or shortly after, but it just appeared one day not long ago.
fav_icon1.jpg
fav_icon1.jpg (10.87 KiB) Viewed 32313 times
address bar
fav_icon2.jpg
fav_icon2.jpg (4.15 KiB) Viewed 32313 times
tab