IMPORTANT! Pruning inactive and zero-post users...

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

akovari
Location: Budapest, Hungary, Central Europe, Earth, Milky Way

Re: IMPORTANT! Pruning inactive and zero-post users...

Unread post by akovari » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:47 am

plasmana wrote:FYI, although you can read posts without an account. There is no active topics feature unless you are logged in.
You can re register again, if You want.
Dave needs some criteria to eliminate never existing or automatically created users.

Not easy to manage a (hopefully) growing web forum.

Attila

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Regarding Spam:

Firstly, the best thing any legitimate users can do is ignore all spam posts. Don't reply, don't address the user, and NEVER click on links in the posts (or in the signatures) of spammers. If you want to buy ugg boots or get the latest gaming software, use regular searching techniques, not links in a forum especially this forum.

Now to recent changes.

We have enabled the "Newly Registered User" facilities to try to combat the ever-increasing spam issue. This means that as of now, any NEW users will have to have six posts approved by a moderator before being moved to the regular users group. We are hoping that this will allow us to remove potential spammers before they have a chance to post on the boards.

The obvious disadvantage is that legitimate new users will have to wait until post approval for their first few posts before having their posts immediately visible. For this we apologize, but the spam is getting so out of control we must take more stringent action regarding new accounts and approvals.

NEW USERS PLEASE READ THIS:

If you attempt post inane, simple, 'generic' posts like "Thanks for the info it's a great help" we will KNOW you are a spammer and you'll likely be deleted immediately. Whilst most spam is generated by bots (automated software) we are aware that there are actual people joining boards now and spamming once their posts appear on the board.

If you are a bona fide user you need not worry about any of this. Have the first six posts approved and you'll be automatically moved to the regular users group and no longer be under compulsory moderation.

Dave Smith.
Forum Administrator.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

SRHadden

Unread post by SRHadden » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:25 am

new here...not a bot

Stephj

Unread post by Stephj » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 am

Hi everyone, I've been following the picture of the day articles and thunderblogs for a couple of years now, and thought it time I used the forum a little. Thought I'd better make an initial post to avois being "pruned".

Have to say its a fantastic website full of fascinating information. I'm convinced of the importance of this information and am continually frustrated reading and hearing the "old paradigm" continuously being seen as the only legitimate view by the various media.

I haven't had much time to take part in any forums, but will certainly make the effort with this one.

Thanks and congratulations to all of the contributors to the Thunderbolts website on the thought provoking material here. I believe the "electric universe" is the future of science, and its only a matter of time before it is recognised as such.

colinp

Unread post by colinp » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 pm

I first found out about this site over a year ago, but just found the forums (obviously didn't look too hard, I guess). I have always been fascinated by science, cosmology in particular. Unfortunately, I'm not a scientist (have to use a spell checker just to spell it) so I won't be posting much, if at all. I subscribe to the fact " It's better for people to think I'm a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt", so I guess I won't be a registered member for long.
Well, at least I can read.

Influx

Unread post by Influx » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Don't cull me...I wish to age on my own.

"Dr. Weir: I wouldn't have thought you believed in ghosts.
Dr. McKay: I never used to, then I learned about things called Wraiths that can suck the life out of you with their hands. [raises hand, gestures demonstratively] What the hell is that?"

I come here everyday, just don't have much to say.
Today is the yesterday of tomorrow.