THUNDERBOLTS/NPA LOGISTICS

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

markspann

Re: THUNDERBOLTS/NPA LOGISTICS

Unread post by markspann » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:06 am

Several weeks ago I reserved a double bed hotel suite for the NPA18 Conference at the Clarion Inn, just in case the dorms are not made available to us. The Clarion is located just 1 mile from the University of Maryland campus, and it is a pretty nice hotel with all the perks. You can check it out here http://www.clarionhotel.com/hotel-colle ... ld=0&map=n

I booked this room for 5 nights stay ; July 5th check-in thru July 10th checkout. The room has a 5 person maximum occupancy limit, with two "full" size beds (one of which I have dibs on) and I also reserved a rollaway bed.

If you would be interested in sharing this hotel suite and the cost on a pro-rata basis for the NPA18 Conference, let me know as soon as possible. The cost of this room is $109 +tax ($126 total) per night.
Mark Spann
EU2014 Conference room and ride share coordinator
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

atherophage

Unread post by atherophage » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 am

Thanks, ~42% off parking really helps.
Ath

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Well, I really don't know my logistics yet. Haven't quite considered that far ahead... Also, haven't yet put in for vacation time from work (I'm pretty sure they won't say no as I almost never TAKE vacation time and they tend to be pretty flexible). Though, part of the reason for not having put in for vacation is not knowing the logistics of how long I'll be staying and travel arrangements.

Not entirely offput by the dorm idea. Seeing as how I lived in the dorms for some time at the University of Oregon. So, I'm guess it would be a little like old times. ;) But, if travel arrangements would mean I'd have to stay extra days, I don't know if the dorms are only available for the few days of the conference or if they allow extra days? If not, then some other arrangement of hotel sharing or such would have to be made... The devil is inn the details. Still debating on whether to fly in or carpool. I live in Oregon. Assume the closest airport is the DC airport? If I fly in, I assume I'd either have to be picked up or rent a car. If I go by car, it'll be several days of driving + the cost of gas, which ain't cheap these days. If I go by train it also takes several days and costs about the same as flying... Or, alternately, flying doesn't seem to be much cheaper.

What to do?

Best,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

markspann

Unread post by markspann » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:04 pm

MGmirkin wrote:.........Not entirely offput by the dorm idea. Seeing as how I lived in the dorms for some time at the University of Oregon. So, I'm guess it would be a little like old times. ;) But, if travel arrangements would mean I'd have to stay extra days, I don't know if the dorms are only available for the few days of the conference or if they allow extra days? If not, then some other arrangement of hotel sharing or such would have to be made... The devil is inn the details. ............What to do?

Best,
~Michael Gmirkin

Michael, the issue of whether or not NPA conference attendees will be able to book a dorm for a few days before or after the days of the conference, is just one of many, many questions I am seeking to get answered as soon as possible from the UMD Conference Center. I called them last week but was told to please wait until a UMD conference service rep has been assigned to the event, which they said would happen as soon as the NPA's contract negotiations are finalized, hopefully sometime this week. So, basically my call was premature, but suffice to say that as soon as the flow of information from the UMD starts, we will get all of our questions answered and they will be posted here.
Mark Spann
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

bobinski

Unread post by bobinski » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:28 am

Hi

Bob Johnson is looking for a non-smoking non-snoring ( :D !) roomshare at the NPA18 conference, 2-person dorm accommodation in the Queen Ann Suites on campus, for 5 nights from Tuesday 5 July thru' to Sunday 10 July.

Anyone interested?

Regards, Bob

tedgaleone

Unread post by tedgaleone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Mark,
This is my first post on the Thunderbolts Forum, but a long time
follower of the Electric Universe community. I am looking forward to
attending the NPA Conference in July, have already registered, and am now
posted on the list of conference attendees. I have also reserved a double
room at the dorm, but as of now have no roommate. I am sure there are
others interested in staying at the dorm (which I understand are very nice
accommodations) and saving on housing expenses. Also, the dorm is most
likely within easy walking distance to all the action. Prospects can check
me out on the NPA Conference attendee list. I can assure you I'm harmless.
Regarding travel sharing, I plan to drive my car from my home in
Phoenixville, PA, outside Philadelphia, on the morning of July 6. The
general highway route to the University Of Maryland is PA Route 202, to PA
Route 1, then I-95 in Maryland to the university; travel time estimate at
3-1/2 hours. I would be surprised if any conference attendees live nearby
this route, but if so, I would be glad to have the company of one more
rider with luggage on the trip.
That's it. Hope to hear from some fellow seekers. This should be a
fun conference.
Ted Galeone

markspann

Unread post by markspann » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:02 am

tedgaleone wrote:Mark,
................I have also reserved a double
room at the dorm, but as of now have no roommate. I am sure there are
others interested in staying at the dorm (which I understand are very nice
accommodations) and saving on housing expenses. Also, the dorm is most
likely within easy walking distance to all the action.

OK, Ted, I'm sure you'll find someone interested in room sharing with you. Another member emailed me yesterday evening responding to my post looking for someone to roomshare, and I think he and I are now set for lodging accomodations, whether at the dorms or at a hotel. Either way my lodging costs just got cut in half, for which I am very thankful!

I hope to have some news for everyone regarding the dorms by the end of this week, so stay tuned!
Mark Spann
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

David Talbott
Site Admin

Unread post by David Talbott » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Just about an hour ago I heard on the news that Tuscaloosa Alabama was devastated by a tornado, so I returned to the office to call our logistics coordinator Mark Spann who lives in Tuscaloosa. The phone was not operative, but I found I'd already received this email from Steven Spann, Mark's brother:

I have been asked by my brother mark to email you to let you know
That he does not think he will be able to fulfill his roll as coordinator.
He is ok, but he lost everything in the tornado that hit Tuscaloosa.
Iam sure he will contact you when can. He survived in the tub but lost the
house.

I can't say more than this at the moment, but I'll do my best to connect with Mark as soon as possible and will report to the group.

What a distressing turn of events. I've only known Mark for a few weeks, but the new friendship has been an inspiration.

Dave

musselwhite

Unread post by musselwhite » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 am

i spoke to mark spann this morning and all that is remaining of belongings are the clothes he has on his back.

he asked if there was something i might be able to do in his place and stead - please email me @ theresamusselwhite@gmail.com -

Kapriel

Unread post by Kapriel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:14 am

Mark my heart goes out to you. I couldn't believe what news awaited me when I got up this morning.
Please call as soon as you can, or email. I have something you could use right now.

-Kim
Doubt is not proof.

Kapriel

Unread post by Kapriel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 am

Potential travelers would benefit from subscribing to the regular email updates from Travelocity.com and Priceline.com . Every other day or so I get news on their latest bargain flights. This morning, for instance, they advertised flights to selected cities for $54. You never know you might get lucky and they will have your city listed between now and the next two months before the conference.

I also recommend Travelzoo for international flights. Some great deals there, but you have to start early as the prices are sure to double by July.

I sure would like to see everyone come who wants to come. This will be an event like no other. Seldom do we see so many mainstream scientists getting together who are willing to look critically at their own mainstream underpinnings.
Doubt is not proof.

musselwhite

Unread post by musselwhite » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:21 am

i have not been successful in reaching mark through his cell phone - as i understand he did not have a way to charge his battery - thank you every so much for all the emails received on behalf of mark - as soon as i hear something i will pass it on; however, i think he will contact the thunderbolts' forum first - :)

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:26 am

Mark lost everything except the clothes on his back to this horrific event. His home, it's contents and his car have all been demolished. As Mark would have been eligible for some compensation from the thunderboltsfund for some of his out of pocket expenses relating to his role in coordinating facets of the NPA conference, it was decided to send him a modest amount now, to help him with immediate expenses. This has already been done.

If anyone on the forum wishes to help Mark financially, please contact me privately and I will facilitate it.

Dave Smith.
Forum Administrator.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Kapriel

Unread post by Kapriel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:31 am

Are there any other women planning to attend this conference? If so, please let me know if you'd be interested in sharing a hotel room, or dorm room if you prefer.
Doubt is not proof.

musselwhite

Unread post by musselwhite » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:51 pm

i just spoke with mark and he was amazed i got through - there is no service - no power - he currently is staying at the phifer wire "resort" (as he describes this separate facility situated on the same track as phifer wire products) - the address is: Mark Spann, c/o Beverly Phifer, Phifer Wire Products, Inc., 4400 Kauloosa Ave., Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 - Beverly Phifer together with mark thought it would be a good idea to open up this facility as a shelter for employees of phifer wire products -

i told him of each email received - mark is simply overwhelmed - so am i at the unusual number of little miracles that has taken place in mark's life -

he said, "nothing will keep me from the conference".

also, he now has clothes and steel toed shoes and anxious to go back to work - again, waiting on restoration of power to the plant.

i really do not know when i will be in contact with him - i do have an adress -

email should you wish: theresamusselwhite@gmail.com