Magnetism: Form, Structure, & Dynamics

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

StefanR

Re: Recovered: Magnetism: Form, Structure, & Dynamics

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:24 am

Junglelord
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Tom Bearden on Howard Johnson

There are over 200 effects in magnetic materials; it is not a simple subject at all. About half of those effects are well-understood. Some of the others are fairly well understood, some a little understood, and some not understood at all.

Also, multivalued potentials arise naturally in the magnetic theory itself. If a multivalued potential can occur in a rotary system so that it affects the line integral, then one has an integration to a non-zero and self-rotation is indicated. Eerily, magnetics scientists and theorists think this capability is a great nuisance, and they "twist" the magnetic theory itself in all sorts of ways to try to eliminate those multi-valued potentials.

Nonetheless, when not arbitrarily manipulated, the theory does predict and permit permanent magnet motors that self-rotate. There is no problem with the source of the excess energy; any dipole (including a permanent magnet dipole) has a scalar potential between its ends, and the Whittaker decomposition in 1903 of that potential shows very clearly that it is a set of bidirectional longitudinal EM phase conjugate wavepairs.

http://www.cheniere.org/correspondence/ ... 0Motor.doc

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting Patent : The Motionless Electromagnetic Generator
http://www.cheniere.org/references/MEG_Patent.pdf

Link to some information. Seems to be explainable with ECE as it has the B3 field.
http://www.cheniere.org/megstatus.htm
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:27 am

Mgmirkin
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
junglelord wrote:
I don't think the magnetic tripole is a quadrapole. I see what your pointing to but is that really the same thing?

Clearly I could be wrong.

Any one smart enough to decide.
Laughing

The only thing that I see that's different is the placement of one suspended bar magnet (compass) on the opposite side of the bottom compass in the two images to map the other "pole" on the 2D plane of the table top.

Again, see the quadrupole image's field lines, vs that of the "tripole." They're the same. The only thing they're missing is a component to measure / display the orientation of the field line at the top of the two images. Lack of a measuring instrument does not lack of a 4th pole make.

Each "pole is really a dipole" and the overall configuration is simply interacting dipoles. Let me break it down, one more time:

(Quadrupole diagram)

(Quadrupole field lines)

(The "tripole" image.)

Note that both the left and right poles loop back to center above and below the horizontal horizon. I'm pretty sure that in order to be a tripole, both would have to be a loop back to center on one side of the horizon and loop to the opposite pole on the other side of the horizon, which doesn't really make sense.

If one labeled the 3 points from left to right A (left), B (center), C (right), it would have to be something more like (bottom) A loops to B, B loops to C and (top) C loops back to A.

But, as in the example from Beatty, this appears to be a quadrupole, insofar as the field lines align with the diagram and vectors of the quadrupole (unless I'm mistaken; I suppose it's possible).

In the image, they really need to put another compass at the top of the image to show the field direction there with respect to the center. I'd wager good money that it would be with south pointing inward (pointing downward, in the image).

The only other possibility, really, is that the compass needle would point north downward and south upward like the bottom compass. In which case you'd still have technically a quadrupole field (think of it like a bar magnet split in two; both pieces still have the same dipole field orientation). It would just be a slightly more simplistic quadrupole configuration, wherein, well, frankly I'd have to think about what it would mean for the field lines. But it would likely take on a different 2D morphology than the above quadrupole field configuration.

With a configuration like
_S_
N_N
_N_

What would the field look like?

As I'm sketching it out, it really does look like it would be a very odd field line arrangement. Trying to figure out how this would all map out... Basically, all he N/S pairs are how tiny dipoles would align with the field, to show the "direction" of the current.

Come to think of it, that's how using filings to trace magnetic fields works! Heh. Good times. Sorry if they images are a bit "crowded." Arrows indicate appx field "direction"

(Unusual quadrupole, partly approximates a dipole.)

Something like the above? Overall dipole due to two magnets in "agreement" over field direction, however, with a lop-sided minor field inside the major field (due to the perpendicular fields in the lower half being in opposition; like poles facing).

The lower half might do something funky, but I haven't visualized what it would do...

Anyway. I'm pretty sure that the original image we were looking at was a quadrupole, based on how the field lines play out... And I didn't see them diagram the field lines or currents involved to prove what they meant by tripole...

(A standard quadrupole with Norths oriented out along the axis and souths oriented out along the equator.)

_N_
S_S
_N_

Or something like that?
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:28 am

Arc-us
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with Michael. Quadrapole through-and-through. You can even see it in their shot of the coil and compasses. There's no break in symmetry in that shot of the representative field lines. And the lack of the 4th compass is particularly telling. I'm going with smoke n' mirrors. Smile

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Krackonis wrote:
<snip> didn't the return "current" flow back thru the ground?

<snip>
Yes, I think he was using the Earth as the return side of the circuit.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 am

MGmirkin
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote
@rc-us wrote:
I'd have to agree with Michael. Quadrapole through-and-through. You can even see it in their shot of the coil and compasses. There's no break in symmetry in that shot of the representative field lines. And the lack of the 4th compass is particularly telling. [...] Smile
I assume you mean the one with the iron filings acting like the little N/S dipoles denoted by N/S pairs in the diagram(s) I made up in Excel then screen-printed and pasted into GIMP and cropped to a JPEG? Yeah, they were pains, but I think they came out well!

For not being an EE, I guess I can still do alright sometimes, eh? Observe, dissect, understand underlying principles, re-integrate principles into a working model, visualize and reconstruct from model, then test against the original (maybe throw in a little "invention" along with the "conventions"; anyone who's studied folklore might get that last bit)... Good times!

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:30 am

MGmirkin
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote
@rc-us wrote:
Actually, I was referring to the 2 photographs of their "tripole" arrangment that you posted, where the bottom one shows the lines of force but they omitted the 4th compass. Not to diminish the work you painstakingly slaved over, though! Wink

Yep, you do good work. Cool

Right, one of the two photos what the one I was referring to as the one where they likely used iron filings to reveal the field lines, which was the one I assumed you were referring to when speaking of the field lines, et al.

I think we're on the same page. Smile Heh.

& I try. Excel was kind of a pain to work with 'cause despite telling it to treat everything as "text," it kept trying to make the '/' and '-' into mathematical operators. *grumble* Quite inconvenient when you go to click on another cell, "commit" the line art character, but it decides you're trying to write a math expression and start selecting additional fields you click on. But it was handy for aligning the various characters. More so than trying to do ascii art without some kind of a grid to keep things in line. I don't think there's a way to make the font "fixed width" on the forum...? So the original version wasn't coming out right that way. ;o]

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:31 am

Seasmith
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:00 pm Post subject: Magnetism Reply with quote
NANO-SCALE QUADRAPOLE

Quote:
Nano Rings – The image shows a four-terminal quantum ring structure defined in a two-dimensional electron gas (2DEG) with local anodic oxidation using an atomic force microscope tip. The elevated white lines represent the oxide on the surface of the GaAlAs heterosstructure containing the 2DEG. These oxide lines are on average 15nm high and penetrate just as deep into the sample surface, forming barriers in the electron gas below. The ring has an average diameter of 1 micron and the four outer rectangular areas enclosed by oxide lines are used as in-plane gates to tune the electron density of the four arms of the ring. Measuring Aharonov-Bohm oscillations in the ring conductance this device is used to interferometrically detect the relative phaseshift of Coulomb blockade resonances in two quantum dots induced in the arms of the ring. (Dr Andreas Fuhrer, Nanophysics Group of Prof. Ensslin at ETH Zürich/Switzerland)
http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=4546.php
~

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:34 am

Arc-us
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
This has been in the back of my mind ever since first posted on pg 4 of the cymatics thread back in May of '07. Maybe some insight can be gleaned within this thread as it didn't seem to go anywhere in the other.
@rc-us wrote:
lite-brite wrote:
After reading the following link I can't help but associate to the resonance videos. Is magnetism a resonant standing wave? The iron filings seem to follow the wave pattern in his experiment.

http://hristodichev.hit.bg/new_en.html

Hmmm. The similarity between the magnetic pole effects on solid surfaces vs water/glycerin surfaces and positive/negative Lichtenberg figures appears rather striking to me. (Thanks also to Michael, mgmirken, for the link to Lichtenberg info in the "'Martian Spiders?' on Earth?" thread).

Magnetic Poles

Magnetic pole on solid plane (assuming solid - @rc-us)
Magnetic pole on water/glycerin

Lichtenberg figures http://205.243.100.155/frames/lichtenbergs.html

Positive Lichtenberg
Negative Lichtenberg

How do we correlate these two obviously related electrical and magnetic phenomena as observed?

The very top picture of the series is the conventional viewing of the field lines around a magnetic pole affecting iron filings on cardboard. The picture just below that one is the effect seen on a magnetic pole affecting iron filings sprinkled on top a surface of water or glycerin (Dichev's Rings). The bottom two are similarly formed figures through electrically formed Lichtenberg discharges.

How come the pattern is so different (i.e. between cardboard and water)? Is it due to the differences of molecular composition of the cardboard vs water/glycerin media? Water being H2O, glycerin (according to Am. Heritage Dict.) being "glycerol or a preparation of glycerol" which is chemically C3-H8-O3. Water is a "polarized" molecule; don't know about glycerol.

Ideas anyone? Check out the source link for the above top images here LINK: http://hristodichev.hit.bg/new_en.html for pictures of his experimental setup. There are other papers of Dichev here EDIT: (sorry, corrected link) LINK: http://hristodichev.hit.bg/puen.html. One caveat: he has apparently not noticed or discovered for himself the quadrapole nature of magnets but is using the conventionl dipole concept.

Also, I can't help but associate the 2nd picture from the top and the bottom picture (negative Lichtenberg) with the formation at Saturn's N pole.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:34 am

MGmirkin
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
http://hristodichev.hit.bg/dipol-plane.html

Actually, the above page I found to be best, as it shows the experimental setup as well as the resulting physical formations (photos).

I'm still not entirely sure "what it means."

It looks like, if the photos are accurate representations of the perpendicular cross sections at the 5 levels of the solenoid, the magnetic field:

A) appears to be composed of roughly parallel field lines in the center; as opposed to radial.

An odd result. Though I have an idea about it...

B) appears to warp slightly in the perpendicular plane to the solenoid coil at 1/4 and 3/4 of the way down the coil (half way between the end points and the middle of the coil).

C) appears to warp strongly at the poles, such that a more compact field line "ring system" is formed.

But, again, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what that means for the structural dynamics. Not being well-enough versed in EE stuffs, I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

But, from what I was reading, I didn't see a really good explanation (theory?) of "what was going on..." Or maybe I missed it. It might have been nice to hear one and then see if it 'makes sense.'

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:35 am

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
mgmirkin wrote:
<snip>
But, again, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what that means for the structural dynamics. Not being well-enough versed in EE stuffs, I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

But, from what I was reading, I didn't see a really good explanation (theory?) of "what was going on..." Or maybe I missed it. It might have been nice to hear one and then see if it 'makes sense.'

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
Same here. I don't recall seeing any theorizing or opinion from Dichev either. Or for that matter much of anything from anyone about the specific dynamics behind the hex and ring formation at Saturn's pole except for the bits and pieces scattered around the forums here under various topics, so guess we're in good company on that score. Could be my overactive imagination but I do see a tendency towards hexagonal formation in the noise of the 2nd picture from the top. Then there's Bill Beaty's comment, reposted here:
Quote:
TWO-DIMENSIONAL "FLUID"

Place several disk-magnets in a slippery bowl so they repel each other. They form patterns. It's almost as if the magnets were the "atoms" of a gas or liquid. We can bring out this behavior even more strongly. Clamp a large number of tiny disk magnets between two glass plates. Put spacers around the edges of the plates so that the magnets can slide around. Now place the sandwitch on edge. The magnets lift up and "crystallize" in a hex array! But they can also slide around. WIth enough magnets, the region of "fluid" will exhibit surface waves (and also sound waves within the bulk "liquid", and even cavity resonances!)

It might help to lubricate the glass surface a bit. Also, place a row of fixed disks all around the edges in order to form the walls of a two-dimensional "beaker" which repels the "fluid" within.
http://amasci.com/amateur/neodymium.html

It'd be nice to see something similar to Dichev's work done with various liquids and even plasmas. Stuff like florescent tubes and plasma globes might give interesting results. Or that liquid clay stuff used in the cymatics video that hardens after a time. Even various surfaces where the filings would be free to move. Too bad Dichev didn't video his experiments or, if he did, had posted a clip or two to see the effects in motion as he describes it.

Then there's that intriguing negative Lichtenberg ring pattern on the electrical side of it.

Think we need an EE of the EU variety to pipe in. Better yet, maybe get their hands dirty with a little simplistic hands-on foolin' around with this stuff. Smile Hmm. Maybe an email to Mr. Beaty to see if he'd be interested in this thread. Never know.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:36 am

Upriver
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote
mgmirkin wrote:

Actually, the above page I found to be best, as it shows the experimental setup as well as the resulting physical formations (photos).

It looks like, if the photos are accurate representations of the perpendicular cross sections at the 5 levels of the solenoid, the magnetic field:

A) appears to be composed of roughly parallel field lines in the center; as opposed to radial.

B) appears to warp slightly in the perpendicular plane to the solenoid coil at 1/4 and 3/4 of the way down the coil (half way between the end points and the middle of the coil).

C) appears to warp strongly at the poles, such that a more compact field line "ring system" is formed.

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

I think you on the right track for an explanation to the suns magnetic field.

My thoughts on the 2 north poles is that there were 2 toroidal current flows, one above the equator and one below. That might be the cause of the butterfly pattern.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 am

MGmirkin
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote
mgmirkin wrote:

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

In point of fact, what I'd like to see is an experimental setup where not only is the region on a plane INSIDE the solenoid mapped via the filings on glycerin, I'd like it if the region in the SAME plane could be mapped OUTSIDE the solenoid (to see what the overall field is doing at a particular time, under particular circumstances).

So, you'd have say a petri dish in the center with glycerin, mounted on a non-conductive, non-magnetic (acrylic, glass?) rod, and you'd have a round or square tray of larger dimensions outside that would have a similar depth of glycerin and a similar amount of iron filings floating on top of it, also mounted on non-conductive / non-magnetic rods (glass /acrylic?).

Essentially, ideally, you'd have an evenly circular opening between the central petri dish and the outer dish, and the solenoid could be mounted on some kind of movable (non-conducting / non-magnetic) apparatus so one could somewhat granularly adjust the height of the solenoid. Then one could make measurement of where the solenoid was with respect to the level of the dishes / containers.

Once one positions the solenoid, one could switch it on, and take photos over some specific time resolution to see what the filings do and at what times they form specific patterns, if the patters change or remain the same. If it's possible to vary current to the solenoid, then perhaps multiple sessions could be done at the same height, with varied current, to see if different patterns emerge, or if they're simply larger / smaller versions of the same original version.

Again, the time-lapse photography approach might give an idea of what's going on over time, in order to do some kind of statistical analysis... Might be interesting to leave it on for a few hours undisturbed with the camera(s) set on some regular schedule.

Heck, in addition to the single plane approach, it might also be interesting to set up multiple stacked trays (with cameras pointing in at each tier from each direction) with a similarly movable solenoid, in order to map the whole field slightly more thoroughly at one time? (Granted, I don't know if it would be technically feasible to photo the inside of a solenoid at multiple tiers at roughly the same time, nor whether the solenoid would interfere with camera functions, especially the new-fangled digital cameras.)

Still, it would be an interesting experiment for someone to set up and replicate, or experiment with in more detail.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 am

ShortHc
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 am Post subject: Magnetic and Lichtenberg Patterns Reply with quote
Magnetism: Form, Structure, & Dynamics
Quote:
@rc-us - Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:30 pm Post subject: --

"How come the pattern is so different (i.e. between cardboard and water)? Is it due to the differences of molecular composition of the cardboard vs water/glycerin media?"

Might have something to do with the filings on a liquid surface being able to not only rotate in the horizontal but the vertical as well. Meaning they would be able to tilt, thus giving the illusion of concentric ring formations while in fact they are aligned as normal in a radial, but tilted, fashion. This 3D aspect might be in line with what mgmirkin was referring to as the tilting would be more noticeable toward the poles resulting in more 'compact' rings.

Regarding the difference between positive and negative Lichtenberg patterns, the positive results could be interpreted as demonstrating the convergence from the surrounding environment of negative charge carriers. While the negative results would be the divergence of negative charge carriers from a point, akin to sound wave formations. It is somewhat interesting to note that definitions of sub-atomic 'positive' charge carriers generally refer to protons stripped of an electron, the poor positron is seldom mentioned as its supposed existence is claimed to be exceedingly brief.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:39 am

Arc-us
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:23 pm Post subject: Re: Magnetic and Lichtenberg Patterns

Good thoughts - hadn't considered the aspect of vertical alignment as well as the horizontal plane, but that would be likely wouldn't it? Makes sense. It would be great to either see video or time-lapse sequences to see the alignment movements noted by Dichev. Would sure love to see more follow-up experimentation done with simple, basic concepts such as Michael has suggested and with your points here.

Your ideas regarding the Lichtenberg patterning are interesting, too. Really appreciate the input, thanks!

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:39 am

Junglelord
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is a explanation of magnetic density and magnetic intensity from the Aetherometry site.
Quote:

Dimensional analysis of accepted fundamental functions of magnetic flux density B (Maxwell's 'magnetic induction') and magnetic field intensity H (Maxwell's 'magnetic force') exposes discrepant functions that are systematically inconsistent. In the cgs system, both B and H are treated as frequency functions, but in the SI or mks systems, B is shown to function as the reciprocal of a wavelength and H as an acceleration. The problem is further compounded by Maxwell's wrong dimensionality of current, by his admission of a variable dimensionality for the two fields in the electrostatic system of units, and the fact, uncovered by Aetherometry, that the field B relates to an angular length function, whereas H does not. These inconsistencies do not permit a correct understanding of what are the effective curls of H and B.

To resolve the problem of magnetism means to solve for these H and B functions from first principles, seeking to make consistent both the functions and their dimensionalities. This is precisely the task of the present communication, which puts forth a comprehensive solution based upon the aetherometric treatment of J.J. Thomson's relation between balanced electric and magnetic forces. We begin by demonstrating how the gauss and the tesla, which are supposed to be equivalent measures of the magnetic field B in separate systems of units, are dimensionally inconsistent with each other.

By employing aetherometric tools, we demonstrate how the gauss should actually be defined as -

1 gauss = 1 dyne/(esu * c) = 6.9065m-1
in compliance with the conventional and aetherometric definition of the tesla as:

1 tesla = 1 N m-1 amp-1 = 6.9065 *104 m-1
This leads us to directly extract the expression of the field B from the cyclotron frequency function Fcyclo, such that the value of B corresponding to a field of X gauss is given by:

B = `X gauss' * * (2) Fcyclo)/c = X * 6.9065m-1

Once the Thomson relation for H and the electric fieldImage
is considered, the fine structure of magnetic wave functions can be elucidated, whether they apply to massfree charge, to the kinetic energy of massbound charge or to the mass- energy of charge carriers. The relation between the occluded frequency term of the gauss and the cyclotron frequency of the empirical gauss measured for electrons is shown to differ solely by the Eta-Correa constant:

After differentiating between the H and B functions for massfree and massbound charges, we are led to conclude that whereas H-1 is the magnetic wavelength of massfree waves in "a vacuum", 2/B is the magnetic wavelength of the same waves in a "material medium". For electronic charges in a material medium, the magnetic wavelength is then simply a function of the radial magnetic vector r:

2B-1 = Wk/Fcyclo = 2r
The findings suggest a totally new way of treating the magnetic permeability of a medium, and very different relations of the magnetic field functions to the current density terms Jfree and Jbound. These functions are systematized, for both massfree and massbound charges, and contrasted to those of Maxwell and accepted electromagnetic theory. Lastly, we demonstrate how the dimensionalities of H and B are the same, , even if one is the reciprocal of a radius and the other of a wavelength (composite or not), in contrast to the electric field which is effectively a frequency function with dimensionality of t-1.
http://www.aetherometry.com/

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:47 am

***** That was the last post of PAGE 12 ****
***** Whole thread retrieved *******