Revising Ancient Chronology

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

tholden

Re: Revising Ancient Chronology

Unread post by tholden » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 pm

starbiter wrote:Lloyd wrote,
[...]

Me again,
The comments about Heinshon and Ginenthal are grounds for moderation, IMHO. To attack people in such a vitriolic manner, without a single detail is an embarrassment to the Thunderbolts Forum. The phrase character assassination comes to mind.

I have no problem with spirited debate. But attacking people for misquotes without pointing out the misquotes is abusive IMHO. How can the victim defend themselves? If this tactic is allowed, the abuse potential is large.

michael steinbacher
Agree.

Once again, the question of chronologies is the one area which I've done the least good job of keeping up with or understanding. That being said, it seems fairly clear to me that Heinsohn, Ginenthal, Sweeney, and a couple of others associated with them have made a significantly more thorough study of those issues than anybody connected with Kronia/Thunderbolts has and I'd bet it that way pretty heavily. I don't see anybody making Gunnar Herinsohn go away by waiving their hands....

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 am

Ted said: I don't see anybody making Gunnar Heinsohn go away by waving their hands....
* We have not been just waving our hands. I've put considerable effort into finding why Ev, Dwardu et al disagree with Heinsohn, and into discussing it here. Ev, Dwardu et al put much more effort into checking Heinsohn's and Ginenthal's sources and explaining why their revised chronology is wrong.
* The reason Heinsohn doesn't go away is apparently because his supporters don't bother to check his sources. Ted, do you actually believe that Ev and Dwardu are lying, when they say he and Ginenthal misquote sources and Heinsohn leaves out layers in his illustrations of Middle East stratigraphy?

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:55 am

Lloyd wrote:
Ted said: I don't see anybody making Gunnar Heinsohn go away by waving their hands....
* We have not been just waving our hands. I've put considerable effort into finding why Ev, Dwardu et al disagree with Heinsohn, and into discussing it here. Ev, Dwardu et al put much more effort into checking Heinsohn's and Ginenthal's sources and explaining why their revised chronology is wrong.
* The reason Heinsohn doesn't go away is apparently because his supporters don't bother to check his sources. Ted, do you actually believe that Ev and Dwardu are lying, when they say he and Ginenthal misquote sources and Heinsohn leaves out layers in his illustrations of Middle East stratigraphy?
I believe Ev and Dwardu are in over their heads trying to argue chronologies with Heinsohn, Ginenthal, and Emmet Sweeney.

As I noted earlier, there actually was a case in which a number of top European archaeologists set out to debhunk Heinsohn by demonstrating one of those layers which should have been easy to find and all they succeeded in doing was embarrassing/astonishing themselves. That involved Tel Munbaqa and isn't hard to find on the internet:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cPMPUU ... hn&f=false

Charles Ginenthal also describes the story in Vol 1 of Pillars of the Past. That sort of thing is what's behind me claiming that nobody is going to make Gunnar Heinsohn vanish or disappear by waving their hands.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Ted said: As I noted earlier, there actually was a case in which a number of top European archaeologists set out to debhunk Heinsohn by demonstrating one of those layers which should have been easy to find and all they succeeded in doing was embarrassing/astonishing themselves. That involved Tel Munbaqa and isn't hard to find on the internet:
http://books.google.com/books?id=cPMPUU ... hn&f=false
Charles Ginenthal also describes the story in Vol 1 of Pillars of the Past. That sort of thing is what's behind me claiming that nobody is going to make Gunnar Heinsohn vanish or disappear by waving their hands.
* Ted, I posted Ev's refutation of Heinsohn last week or so. Ev did what you say the archeologists couldn't do. He found layers that Heinsohn claimed should not be there according to Heinsohn's chronology. Dwardu has also stated that Heinsohn often leaves out layers in his illustrations that are known from original sources to exist, but which would undermine Heinsohn's theory. How can you folks support the kind of fake science that Heinsohn apparently engages in? Who among you has checked Heinsohn's sources the way Dwardu and probably Ev have done, to see if he has quoted them accurately or to see if his illustrations are accurate? And what is the advantage of referring to Ev's and Dwardu's and my efforts as handwaving? How is what we have done less professional or scientific than what Heinsohn or you Heinsohn supporters have done?
Debate?

* Do any of you want to have a debate on this issue that includes scientific rules of debate?

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Lloyd wrote: * Ted, I posted Ev's refutation of Heinsohn last week or so. Ev did what you say the archeologists couldn't do. He found layers that Heinsohn claimed should not be there...

He WENT there and FOUND such layers?? You have pictures I assume??

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:59 pm

I mean you're basically accusing Ginenthal and Heinsohn of deliberate fraud and the kindest assumption I can make is that you or somebody is looking at something the wrong way.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Ted said: you're basically accusing Ginenthal and Heinsohn of deliberate fraud and the kindest assumption I can make is that you or somebody is looking at something the wrong way.
* What Ev and Dwardu accused Heinsohn et al of is sloppy research, the same kind that they also accused Velikovsky of. And they claim that they actually went and looked up many of Heinsohn's sources (as well as Velikovsky's previously). I have yet to hear any of you Heinsohn supporters admit to having checked any of Heinsohn's sources. Until you check his sources, you don't know who's looking at something the wrong way. Why don't you believe them, when they say they did check his sources and found misquotations and misinterpretations by Heinsohn et al?

moses

Unread post by moses » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Ok, I've kept pretty quiet and I am poor at history, but I'll sprout an opinion. Just about every scientific endeavour is plagued by the errors that are quite naturally produced, but ego prevents those errors being corrected when the evidence arises. The ancient history of Egypt is undoubtably like this. There are errors in the standard datings that clearly need to be revised but are not being revised. But to assume that a particular revisionist has got it all correct could easily produce the same sort of error.

The Nile delta would not produce an even sedimentation, rather blockages would occur and the mud would pile up for a few inundations so that higher area would become a much better place to build. Thus towns would become abandoned for generations until the mud that piled up on top would make that spot the best place to build again. Thus, of course there would be missing sections.

Unfortunately those people that study history the most, write lots about it, and once an opinion is in writing it is very difficult for the writer to say that 'there was an error and tear up that book that you purchased from me'. So there is a bias introduced, and pretty soon the truth goes out the door and it becomes politics. But much information needs to be covered to determine the truth, so there is a dichotomy. But we need to find out what happened somehow.
Mo

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Lloyd wrote: Why don't you believe them, when they say they did check his sources and found misquotations and misinterpretations by Heinsohn et al?

Because from where I'm sitting, there is no reason to think that Ev and Dwardu have put more than a tiny fraction of the time, energy, and effort into this particular area which Heinsohn, Emmet Sweeney, and Charles Ginenthal have and I've seen two or three too many "debunkings" which arise from insufficient understanding like that.

You're asking for a formal debate on the proposition that Charles Ginenthal and Gunnar Heinsohn have perpetrated deliberate frauds despite any efforts at cloaking that with semantical niceties and I don't think you're going to find anybody terribly interested in that, least of all me. In my view there is zero possibility of those people ever having perpetrated any sort of a deliberate fraud.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Lloyd wrote: Why don't you believe them, when they say they did check his sources and found misquotations and misinterpretations by Heinsohn et al?
Ted said: Because from where I'm sitting, there is no reason to think that Ev and Dwardu have put more than a tiny fraction of the time, energy, and effort into this particular area which Heinsohn, Emmet Sweeney, and Charles Ginenthal have and I've seen two or three too many "debunkings" which arise from insufficient understanding like that.
- You're asking for a formal debate on the proposition that Charles Ginenthal and Gunnar Heinsohn have perpetrated deliberate frauds despite any efforts at cloaking that with semantical niceties and I don't think you're going to find anybody terribly interested in that, least of all me. In my view there is zero possibility of those people ever having perpetrated any sort of a deliberate fraud.
* Ted, it's very unfair to say that I'm calling Heinsohn et al deliberate frauds. Are you a mind-reader? You're misinterpreting me, possibly in the same way that Heinsohn et al misinterpret their sources. I have no reason to suspect that any of them are deliberately fraudulent. I doubt that they are frauds. I imagine they're just like Velikovsky. Trailblazers can get carried away and get lost in their enthusiasm. Do you think I think Velikovsky was a fraud? I don't. I think he was overconfident in himself, and failed to be sufficiently careful in his research on ancient chronology.
* I'm not a hateful person who cloaks it in semantical niceties, and I don't care to be called a person like that. I was asking for a debate on Heinsohn's claims, not on whether he's a deliberate fraud. I'm going to great lengths to be fair and objective, but you Heinsohn supporters seem to be all talk and no action, if you don't want to have a scientific debate.
* Oh, I overlooked your post, Mo, until now. Looks like you would welcome a debate or something to try to clear up what's known and what ain't.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Lloyd wrote:I'm going to great lengths to be fair and objective, but you Heinsohn supporters seem to be all talk and no action, if you don't want to have a scientific debate.
Great lengths to be fair? come on now. You have made no attempt to read any material by Heinsohn, Sweeney, or Ginenthal. You get all your information from Cochrane and Cardona and then came to the decision that Heinsohn is falsified. You have accused Heinsohn of presenting doctored material, but do not show any instances, showing nothing specific, so that your charges cannot be answered. Does that qualify as objective?

I showed how Ginenthal answered Cochrane's charges and showed how even his primary mainstream (Roux) source did not support his description of how to account for missing strata. Have you even read Venn's posts?

Debate, isn't that what is going on, here on this thread? Can there be legitimate debate when one side persists in making ad hom accusations? Why would anyone want to debate with someone who they consider a fraud? (From what you described Cardona accused Heinsohn of deliberately manipulating his stratigraphy to support his case, that seems to constitute an accusation of fraud.) Maybe this argument technique is necessary as a last resort, since anyone who has read Pillars of the Past knows that their criticisms have been answered.

As I pointed out, Velikovsky's "shoddy" scholarship provided both Cochrane, Cardona, and a host of others with a lifetime of work. The most absurd thing to me is that Cardona and Cochrane have put themselves in a position of defending the mainstream chronology which is the historical equivalent of dark matter and the big bang.

Nick

venn

Unread post by venn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Lloyd wrote:* Were the tells growing vertically, or horizontally, or both? Are clay bricks the same as mud bricks? Did each generation of houses start at the same time? Did each generation start with the same floors as the previous generation, or did they put a new floor of bricks on the older floors? If so, why?
They grew more vertically than horizontally. Although those bricks are usually made of clay, they are not burned but dried, so “mud brick” might actually be a better word than what I used in my translation. The people broke down the houses and the rubble was used as floor of the next generation of buildings. That of course did not happen everywhere at the same time but on average the Tells grew symmetrically. We are talking here about a lifespan of a house of only a few years.
Lloyd wrote:* Hey, are you saying that I have absurd ideas or beliefs? You say I ask you to believe something, but I wasn't asking you to believe anything; I was describing how I think layers are deposited. And I'm glad you quoted Ginenthal's theory of how they're deposited, at least on some tells. Isn't it possible for some of the tells to be occupied for a time, then abandoned for a time, and then occupied again much later? And why wouldn't that account for missing layers? And why wouldn't erosion result in some or many artifacts ending up in earlier or later layers?
I'm trying to make you understand into what logical, technical and scientific idiosyncrasies you are buying into if you follow the standard chronology or people who largely buy into it as for example by their own admission Cardona and Cochrane.
The point Ginenthal is trying to make and which you are missing again and again, is, that an abandonment of a Tell is visible in it's stratification if it actually happened. And again: erosion would be visible if it would have been a factor in forming the Tell.
TeF 87 TX at Tell el-Farain is in my opinion the best example available to show the problems with the conventional approach. There is no abandonment visible between the layers of the 3rd and the 26th dynasty and yet conventional chronology has nearly 2000 years between those dynasties. More so there is continuity between those two dynasties which is puzzling without end to scholars of Egyptology. Layers of the Middle and New Kingdom which are supposed to be in between are nowhere to be found on the whole site of nearly a square mile. As the excavators claim they had to go to a neighboring Tell to find some artifacts of that period. But the time periods can only be in parallel to what is at Tell el-Farain because of the continuous cultural layering without hiatus. That is what simple logic demands.
Lloyd wrote:* Ev said Velikovsky's book, Ages in Chaos, was very poorly researched. Heinsohn and others have taken some of Velikovsky's poorly researched ideas from WiC and AiC and apparently added many more erroneous ideas.
What for example has been taken from those books is the general idea of the conventional chronology being badly in need of fixing. People used different methods to achieve that goal. I tried to describe Heinsohn's method which is based on archeology, stratigraphy and technological development. Ginenthal describes the background in his summary in “PP I, p. 529-537”, while the book itself is full of references supporting the points given here as conclusion:
David Talbott, Dwardu Cardona, and Ev Cochrane, who have been either unsupportive or deeply critical of these greatly lowered chronologies, have raised the issue of convergence and cross-reference of evidence from numerous sources with regard to Venus having been observed as a “great comet” in ancient times. Ev Cochrane asks the pertinent question: “rather than confront the issue of recurring anomalies [critics] descend into a swamp of marginal details ...” As Cochrane himself has argued:
“The mark of a sound theory is how many anomalies and unexplained problems it can handle without introducing a host of new problems requiring ad hoc solutions. While I do think it is possible that Heinsohn’s historical reconstruction answers a few anomalies, it seems clear that his theory raises more problems than it solves ... Heinsohn’s reconstruction cannot be made to square with the historical record.” (Cochrane, “Heinsohn’s Ancient ‘History' ”, last page, AEON V:4 1999)
But that is precisely the point. The historical record in terms of the established chronology cannot be made to square with the scientific and technological facts. These are indeed the real facts! Heinsohn’s theory exhibits all the marks of a sound theory because of the many scientific and technological anomalies and unexplained problems it does handle without introducing a host of ad hoc solutions. In reality, it is the established chronology which raises more of these problems than it solves. Some of these anomalous problems in fact have stood for over a century while others have come to light only in the past several decades without a hint of them being resolved.

To paraphrase Talbott, and to some extent Cochrane and Cardona: In all this there is a fundamental issue of logic. How does one properly weight the lines of evidence, the repeated convergence of science in the forms of astronomy and geology, technology, stratigraphy, radiocarbon and pottery dating, as well as tin faience and tin bronze evidence supported by iron to cut diorite etc., pointing to an extremely short chronology for ancient Near Eastern civilizations? Having had many opportunities to muse over the way the experts skirt these issues, I am convinced the real question never enters their minds. Until one asks the question, How does one explain all these various forms of evidence that contradict conventional chronology? [E]ven the most obvious evidence will be something else; it will be seen through numerous ad hoc hypotheses or reckless dismissal of facts that contradict that chronology and therefore are not taken seriously.

Once the critics of the chronologies of Heinsohn, Rose, Sweeney, and Velikovsky resort to unbridled, unproven, improvable, or disproven explanations, they are left with nothing in the way of scientific or technological evidence to account for these convergences.

In truth, virtually all of the respected authorities and critics look for ad hoc explanations and references, because no one could seriously believe that such dramatic scientific, technical, stratigraphical, etc. facts could dominate as evidence for the chronology of the ancient world with such a strong link to history.

[….]

Given the nature of all these converging forms of evidence, the sheer scale of it is stunning; and one wonders how the Egyptologists could have dealt with these convergences without a crash course in science, technology, etc. Historians and archaeologists, rather than accepting all these forms of evidence that so clearly corroborate that ancient Near Eastern chronology demands a great shortening, have steadfastly clung to Manethon’s erroneous long outline.

At what point, then, do so many forms of converging evidence from science and technology become worthy of pursuing? Is it really possible that so much converging evidence of a physical nature, which all points to a much shortened chronology, is in error? Better yet, can historically interpreted data override scientific and technological facts?

The problem is that science and technology have been given short shrift and have played a secondary role in the interpretation of ancient chronology, when in reality, as the arbiters of truth, scientific and technological data should weigh as the most important and final determinants in this area of research. But as we have seen, this has not occurred. Radiocarbon dating is a scandal with respect to its use and abuse in determining chronological truth. Indeed, the only evidence acceptable to historians and archaeologists wedded to the conventional chronology is that which supports that paradigm. Is it any wonder that the scientific and technological evidence has been dealt with by these advocates of conventional chronology by nothing but unproven, and improvable, invented hypotheses as outlined repeatedly in this book?

Until scientists and technologists such as Schoch, Dayton, and Rose, stand up to these promulgators of ad hoc inventions and demand that historians accept the real facts which their fields have produced, history will remain outside the realm of reality. As Oswald Spengler, who so well understood the nature of historical research, said in no uncertain terms, “Historical writing is fiction.” The Dutch historian Johan Huizinga expressed a similar view with great profundity: “History is the intellectual form in which culture decides for itself the meaning of the past.”

History will remain fiction as long as historians fail to accept that they must be guided by the facts of science and technology. So long as they fail to demand that these facts are the alpha and omega of chronology, so long as they fail to fully take these methodologies into their professional considerations, they will never be able to show what actually happened in the ancient past. There is no history without chronology. We will never understand the truth about the past until history is buttressed by, and not contradicted by, science.

John Dayton cited Benjamin Disraeli, “To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge.” In his “Epilogue” Dayton concludes (“Minerals Metals Glazing & Man”, p. 468):
“One of the most astonishing things in the writing of this book has been to find, time and time again, that statements of archaeological fact had absolutely no basis in reality. A classic example was the ‘fixed’ Sothic date for Sesostris III, the anchor point of chronology. Yet for three-quarters of a century, myths have been perpetuated, while the foundations have hardly ever been questioned. We have moved from the position of Bishop Ussher, who stated that the world was created in 4004 B.C., and the rabid opponents of Darwin into yet another ossified situation where no one has had the courage to point out ‘that the king has no clothes on’ ... How can ‘scholars’ postulate a Bronze Age without the slightest investigation into the occurrence of tin and other minerals? ... Today we do not burn Savoranola and Huss at the stake, we consign them to oblivion ... The universities today are not places of mental adventure, but dull workhouses of conformity.”
[…]

On the basis of the scientific and technological evidence, the established chronology has “no basis in reality”, meaning it is fiction. As fiction it has undoubtedly been a great success, as history a monumental failure. To paraphrase Voltaire’s “The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire,” it is clear that the long historical chronology of the ancient Near East is neither long, nor historical, nor a chronology, although it may “last for a thousand years.”

[…]

What makes the short chronology superior to that of the long established one is what makes a good scientific theory superior to another. It is the concept of “Occam’s Razor” sometimes known as the “simplicity postulate.” When two hypotheses are in conflict with one another, scientists provisionally choose that which they judge to be simpler, based on the supposition that simpler theory which explains more evidence with less ad hoc or associative theories is most likely to explain the facts. The famous dictum of Occam’s Razor is entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem or “entities [or pluralities] are not to be multiplied without necessity.”

[…]

As stated above, Occam’s Razor is used by objective scientists and should be used by historians as well when antithetical theories are involved. In this regard it has been shown that this principle of science indicates that the short chronology, even now at its fairly early inception, fits well with this concept.
On a personal note, I do not follow Ginenthal in his opinion of the usefulness of radiocarbon dating, dendrochronology and astronomical retrocalculation. Ginenthal is too uncritical of those methods which have not only quantitative but massive qualitative issues which make then unusable for any chronological work.

Contrary to Heinsohn's approach, Cardona and Cochrane are following more or less the traditional historical way of thinking. And so they have to ignore the full barrage of problems contained within this approach. The methods are completely at odds and discussion between the groups has shown to be more or less fruitless. You either get the method or you don't. Once you get it there is rarely a turning back and historical arguments become more or less secondary. They belong to a realm which is easy fakeable. This might explain at least a little why Heinsohn at some point no longer bothered with hearing arguments based solely on documents. The thinking is simply incompatible in my opinion.

When Heinsohn first presented his ideas on Mesopotamia in the mid-eighties it contained an error (the so called Sargonides error) that was fixed in 1989. Cardona among others has been credited for pointing this error out. The error happened because Heinsohn did not follow his own method in this instance. It did not happen because of his method. Correcting that error and following the method duty-fully has been enormously fruitful since then. In 2005/2006 another correction was applied to the schema because new digging information became available. The Old Assyrians were moved slightly up to a stratigraphic position just above the Old Akkadians.

In July 1999 Cardona and Cochrane issued their allegations against Heinsohn in AEON. Prior and during this happened a discussion on Kroniatalk documented by Ginenthal in PP I, p 305–308 that shares some light what was going on during that time. Dwardu Cardona was maintaining in this discussion that Heinsohn identified the “Sumerians” with the “Scythians” in one of his publications. The reference in question was from AEON I:2, p 41 (1988):
“17) The mysteriously long-lived and treacherous Quti at the end of the 'Akkadian' empire are the treacherous Scythians at Nineveh at the end of the Assyrian Empire.
18) The apparently unique vassal graves at Ur are typical graves for Scythian princes. As co-conquerors of the south, on the side of the Assyrians, the Scythians gain ruling positions and consequently also the appropriate burial places.”
Clearly Heinsohn is not identifying the Scythians with the ‘Sumerians’ here but with their Quti vassals. But Cardona was unwilling or unable to retract his statement. In this context Clark Whelton wrote (PP I, p. 308):
“Dwardu, your conduct here is shameless. Gunnar Heinsohn has NEVER believed the ‘Sumerians to have been Scythians’ to use your words. Only the most twisted logic could reach such a conclusion.”
Heinsohn's current (2009) thinking about the Quti as Scythians can be found here: http://www.2009-kandersteg.q-conference ... e-2009.pdf

Ginenthal then continues to study the topic of that discussion in great detail. He refutes point by point what Cardona wrote on the subject in “The Two Sargons and Their Successors (Part II)” AEON I:5. As shown by Ginenthal, Cardona often argues ex cathedra solely on his authority without citation (e.g. p. 329). More so on the question of the bearded Scythians he was able to show (p. 345) that Cardona knew very well that Scythians were not necessarily bearded. In his conclusion in PP I he writes (p. 545):
What, too, of Cardona’s failure to report evidence in the same books he used to attack Heinsohn? Surely spreading disinformation is yet another indicator that Kuhn’s thesis is correct. While Cardona saw clear pictures of Scythians without beards in various places in the reference he cited, he never breathed a word that these contradictory facts were there.
So in effect Ginenthal showed Cardona to be engaged in roughly the same type of misconduct he was accusing Heinsohn and Ginenthal of.
Lloyd wrote:* We have not been just waving our hands. I've put considerable effort into finding why Ev, Dwardu et al disagree with Heinsohn, and into discussing it here. Ev, Dwardu et al put much more effort into checking Heinsohn's and Ginenthal's sources and explaining why their revised chronology is wrong.
I'm sure, if you have spend so much time as you say on this, you have made notes. Please present your evidence. I will have a look at that. I think that will be the most efficient approach, especially in the light of what has been just presented above.
Lloyd wrote:* Heinsohn's redating of Abraham would put Moses, King David and others well after 500 BC.
What is your problem with this? Are you aware that the persons and cities described in the Bible belonging to Ancient Israel have lost but all of their strata and are considered fictitious by current Israelian archeology? Take for example a look at Finkelstein/Silverman “The Bible Unearthed”. Can you guess what happens when you apply the short chronology instead?
Lloyd wrote:* Heinsohn and Ginenthal seem to be amateurs who are not careful researchers.
If you say so ... from Wikipedia (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... r_Heinsohn):
Gunnar Heinsohn is a German sociologist and economist. […] Since 1984, he has been a tenured professor at the University of Bremen, where he heads the Raphael-Lemkin Institut[e] for Comparative Genocide Research named for Raphael Lemkin. His list of publications includes almost 700 scholarly articles [number based on a list from 2007; http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=ht ... 5+22:25:22], conference presentations, and books. His research has been focused on developing new theories regarding the history and theory of civilization.
I might add that he holds a double PhD and is now retired. Surely looks like an amateur to me …
Lloyd wrote:* Ted, I posted Ev's refutation of Heinsohn last week or so. Ev did what you say the archeologists couldn't do. He found layers that Heinsohn claimed should not be there according to Heinsohn's chronology.

And I showed you that Ev did not get Heinsohn's reconstruction right and therefore pulled a straw-man. What he describes is compatible with Heinsohn's reconstruction.

I really wonder why Dwardu Cardona and Ev Cochrane spend so much time and effort telling people what not to read. What are they hiding?
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.” - Halton Arp.

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:24 am

Lloyd wrote: * I'm not a hateful person who cloaks it in semantical niceties, and I don't care to be called a person like that. I was asking for a debate on Heinsohn's claims, not on whether he's a deliberate fraud. I'm going to great lengths to be fair and objective, but you Heinsohn supporters seem to be all talk and no action, if you don't want to have a scientific debate.

In the old days, the person challenged to a duel had the choice of weapons.....

I've freely admitted that the question of chronologies is the one area of neo-catastrophism I know the least about. I'm primarily interested in the nature of life on our planet prior to the flood, dinosaurs, human pre-history and that sort of thing, and Gunnar Heinsohn (Wie Alt ist das MenschenGeschlect) is the author of the single most relevant piece of information dealing with hominids, the Neanderthal in particular, and so our little "debate" is going to have to concern the Neanderthal, his true antiquity, and his relationship or lack thereof to us. I'll try to get to that tonight in a separate thread, meanwhile to refresh your memory if it's been a while since you've seen this:

http://able2know.org/topic/166283-1

Heinsohn:
Mueller-Karpe, the first name in continental paleoanthropology, wrote thirty years ago on the two strata of homo erectus at Swanscombe/England: "A difference between the tools in the upper and in the lower stratum is not recognizable. (From a geological point of view it is uncertain if between the two strata there passed decades, centuries or millennia.)" (Handbuch der Vorgeschichte, Vol I, Munich 1966, p. 293).

The outstanding scholar never returned to this hint that in reality there may have passed ten years where the textbooks enlist one thousand years. Yet, I tried to follow this thread. I went to the stratigraphies of the Old Stone Age which usually look as follows

modern man (homo sapiens sapiens)

Neanderthal man (homo sapiens neanderthalensis)

Homo erectus (invents fire and is considered the first intelligent man).

In my book "Wie alt ist das Menschengeschlecht?" [How Ancient is Man?], 1996, 2nd edition, I focused for Neanderthal man on his best preserved stratigraphy: Combe Grenal in France. Within 4 m of debris it exhibited 55 strata dated conventionally between -90,000 and -30,000. Roughly one millennium was thus assigned to some 7 cm of debris per stratum. Close scrutiny had revealed that most strata were only used in the summer. Thus, ca. one thousand summers were assigned to each stratum. If, however, the site lay idle in winter and spring one would have expected substratification. Ideally, one would look for one thousand substrata for the one thousand summers. Yet, not even two substrata were discovered in any of the strata. They themselves were the substrata in the 4 m stratigraphy. They, thus, were not good for 60,000 but only for 55 years.

I tested this assumption with the tool count. According to the Binfords' research--done on North American Indians--each tribal adult has at least five tool kits with some eight tools in each of them. At every time 800 tools existed in a band of 20 adults. Assuming that each tool lasted an entire generation (15 female years), Combe Grenals 4,000 generations in 60,000 years should have produced some 3.2 million tools. By going closer to the actual life time of flint tools tens of millions of tools would have to be expected for Combe Grenal. Ony 19,000 (nineteen thousand) remains of tools, however, were found by the excavators.

There seems to be no way out but to cut down the age of Neanderthal man at Combe Grenal from some 60,000 to some 60 years.

I applied the stratigraphical approach to the best caves in Europe for the entire time from Erectus to the Iron Age and reached at the following tentative chronology for intelligent man:

-600 onwards Iron Age
-900 onwards Bronze Age
-1400 beginning of modern man (homo sapiens sapiens)
-1500 beginning of Neanderthal man
between -2000 and -1600 beginning of Erectus.

Since Erectus only left the two poor strata like at Swanscombe or El-Castillo/Spain, he should actually not have lasted longer than Neanderthal-may be one average life expectancy. I will now not go into the mechanism of mutation. All I want to remind you of is the undisputed sequence of interstratification and monostratification in the master stratigraphies. This allows for one solution only: Parents of the former developmental stage of man lived together with their own offspring in the same cave stratum until they died out. They were not massacred as textbooks have it:

monostrat.: only modern man's tools

interstrat.: Neanderthal man's and modern man's tools side by side

monostrat.: only Neanderthal man's tools

interstrat.: Neanderthal man's and Erectus' tools side by side

monotstrat.: only Erectus tools (deepest stratum for intelligent man)

The year figures certainly sound bewildering. Yet, so far nobody came up with any stratigraphy justifiably demanding more time than I tentatively assigned to the age of intelligent man. I always remind my critiques that one millennium is an enormous time span--more than from William the Conqueror to today's Anglo-World. To add a millenium to human history should always go together with sufficient material remains to show for it. I will not even mention the easiness with which scholars add a million years to the history of man until they made Lucy 4 million years old. The time-span-madness is the last residue of Darwinism.

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 am

Other than that, my own experience leaves me sufficiently certain that the Thunderbolts crowd has its own agenda, its own set of tabu topics, and its own ideology which, despite their being correct in their basic ideas about EU and the antique Saturn system, lead to a certain myopia/blindness in other areas, particularly concerning the last 14 years worth of Mars images and the question of whether or not parts of our system other than this planet may have been inhabited in prehistoric times. A recent history for Neanderthals is also something which Ev and Dwardu have never wanted to hear about for the same sort of reason and so the topic seems relevant and legitimate.

For that matter, Al DeGrazia appears to have no such inhibitions regarding antediluvian space-faring and/or other parts of our system being inhabited in pre-history so I don't really see the excuse for the Thunderbolts crowd since Al believes in a prehistoric Saturn system at least as much as they do.

My own take, executive summary:

http://bearfabrique.org/Catastrophism/E ... scape.html

These things factor into my unwillingness to take the idea of the Ev/Dwardu dynamic duo having "debunked(TM)" Gunnar Heinsohn terribly seriously.....

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:42 am

Not Yet Refuted
* Venn seems to make a good case that Dwardu has misunderstood Heinsohn in at least one instance and maybe more than that, so I'm willing to consider that Heinsohn has not been refuted.
Nick said: Great lengths to be fair? come on now. You have made no attempt to read any material by Heinsohn, Sweeney, or Ginenthal. You get all your information from Cochrane and Cardona and then came to the decision that Heinsohn is falsified. You have accused Heinsohn of presenting doctored material, but do not show any instances, showing nothing specific, so that your charges cannot be answered. Does that qualify as objective?
* I have not accused Heinsohn of doctoring evidence. I merely stated Dwardu's and Ev's accusations. I concluded tentatively that Heinsohn was refuted by Ev's and Dwardu's statements. I figured that, if my conclusion were wrong, one or more of you Heinsohn supporters would correct me. And now it appears that Venn has begun to do that.
I showed how Ginenthal answered Cochrane's charges and showed how even his primary mainstream (Roux) source did not support his description of how to account for missing strata. Have you even read Venn's posts?
* I've only read parts of them, to try to find the most relevant parts, because it takes me too long to read long posts in their entirety.
Debate, isn't that what is going on, here on this thread? Can there be legitimate debate when one side persists in making ad hom accusations? Why would anyone want to debate with someone who they consider a fraud? (From what you described Cardona accused Heinsohn of deliberately manipulating his stratigraphy to support his case, that seems to constitute an accusation of fraud.)
* The debate so far has not been very scientific. I asked for a scientific debate. That would mean agreeing who does the debating, how evidence is presented etc. Ad hominem means "Attacking an opponent's motives or character rather than the policy or position they maintain". Dwardu did not attack Heinsohn's motives or character; he stated what he considered to be Heinsohn's faulty methodology. Dwardu said Heinsohn never seems to accurately portray the stratigraphic record. That can be due to using a faulty methodology, not necessarily fraud.
Scientific Debate
* If any of you are ready for a debate, I'll start suggesting possible scientific rules to follow and you can answer what you agree with and what modifications you favor.
#1) I think it should be okay for anyone to participate in the debate and be able to switch sides at any time.
#2) If we use this thread for the debate, we could allow non-debate discussion too, but we'd need a way to distinguish between debate posts and non-debate posts. To do that, debaters could start their posts with a single word, either the word PRO or CON, all caps in the first line. PRO would mean Pro-Heinsohn. CON would mean opposed to Heinsohn.
#3) We should be able to renegotiate the debate rules at any time. In that case the first line of one's post could say RULES, all capital letters.
#4) One person on each side should act as the main debaters, preferably the most knowledgeable persons. I'd like for Dwardu or Ev to take the CON side, but, if no one else has time for it, I'm willing to fill in, although my time is a bit limited.
#5) We should focus on one issue at a time and limit our debate posts to just a few sentences, say five sentences per post. Ted suggests that Neanderthals be an issue. I'm willing to accept any relevant issue, but I think we should start with the most important of Heinsohn's chronology claims first. Would that be the dating of Abraham and Hammurabi?
#6) I think PRO and CON posts should take turns, one each per turn. And they should follow in logical order. The debate posts should probably be either questions or statements of evidence.
#7) If anyone posts out of logical order, the main debater for either side should make a post saying in the first line, ORDER, and explain the problem and suggest a correction.
#8) I suppose we should try to make at least one debate post per day. If I'm unable to make a CON post on some days, anyone may do so in my place, but try to make sure it follows logical order.
* Are those rules sufficient to start the debate?
* Remember that debate posts must start with either PRO, CON, RULES, or ORDER. Non-debate posts should start with anything other than those words.
* I imagine it would be best if Heinsohn supporters unofficially discuss and agree what to post before posting a debate post. And I'll try to do the same on the CON side.
* The purpose of a scientific debate is to increase knowledge.