SOHO marks 12 years of continuously watching the sun!

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: bboyer, MGmirkin

MGmirkin

SOHO marks 12 years of continuously watching the sun!

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed May 14, 2008 11:47 am

(SOHO - keeping an eye on the Sun for 12 years)
http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMSMHSVQ9F_index_0.html

There's a great animation on the page that show the sun over the course of the 12 years. My question is this: does anyone else see a correlation between the appearance of the polar coronal holes in that video with Birkeland's terella experiments (specifically, figure 260a)?

Wondering if it's just me? 'Cause it seems to me like the holes at the poles are present in both images... I swear there was once an even better multi-spectral composite image of the sun that showed the coronal hole and all the coronal loops ringing it. But I've not been able to find it again. I think it was either a STEREO, SOHO or Yohkoh image...

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

redeye

Re: SOHO marks 12 years of continuously watching the sun!

Unread post by redeye » Thu May 15, 2008 9:38 am

trace

Was it maybe this site, I got it from the link supplied with that astonishing multi spectral image of the sun you posted a few months ago:

multi spectrum image of the sun

Hopefully this is useful.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 am

redeye wrote:trace

Was it maybe this site, I got it from the link supplied with that astonishing multi spectral image of the sun you posted a few months ago:

multi spectrum image of the sun

Hopefully this is useful.

Cheers!
Hmm, I'd forgotten about TRACE... Could be that too. :)

Yeah, that's a cool image. It was similar to that, but I recall it had a bigger focus on the coronal hole, which was pretty well-defined via the multi-spectral image...

Something more like this:
http://trace.lmsal.com/POD/images/EITfo ... 040610.gif

Except I think the coronal hole was on the "up" side of the image (or possibly both?) and it was much more colorful (being a composite)... I swear I've seen it somewhere! I don't think I'm making it up? And yet, I can't seem to find it either... :cry:

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Thu May 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Check out these images:

Venus

The sun

Strangely similar.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Thu May 15, 2008 12:29 pm

Coronal holes:

coronal holes

Birkeland's Terella

Cheers!
Bob Marley