New Discovery DRAMATIC & suprising Magnetic effect of LIGHT

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

vanlore

New Discovery DRAMATIC & suprising Magnetic effect of LIGHT

Unread post by vanlore » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:09 am

This is a paste of the article, link below,

I wonder how this new information will effect the Electric Universe model.

"A dramatic and surprising magnetic effect of light discovered by University of Michigan researchers could lead to solar power without traditional semiconductor-based solar cells.
William Fisher operates a device that bounces laser light around a transparent box.

William Fisher, a doctoral student in applied physics, performing research on laser-induced magnetism.

The researchers found a way to make an "optical battery," said Stephen Rand, a professor in the departments of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Physics and Applied Physics.

In the process, they overturned a century-old tenet of physics.

"You could stare at the equations of motion all day and you will not see this possibility. We've all been taught that this doesn't happen," said Rand, an author of a paper on the work published in the Journal of Applied Physics. "It's a very odd interaction. That's why it's been overlooked for more than 100 years."

Light has electric and magnetic components. Until now, scientists thought the effects of the magnetic field were so weak that they could be ignored. Rand and his colleagues found that at the right intensity, when light is traveling through a material that does not conduct electricity, the light field can generate magnetic effects that are 100 million times stronger than previously expected. Under these circumstances, the magnetic effects develop strength equivalent to a strong electric effect.

"This could lead to a new kind of solar cell without semiconductors and without absorption to produce charge separation," Rand said. "In solar cells, the light goes into a material, gets absorbed and creates heat. Here, we expect to have a very low heat load. Instead of the light being absorbed, energy is stored in the magnetic moment. Intense magnetization can be induced by intense light and then it is ultimately capable of providing a capacitive power source."

What makes this possible is a previously undetected brand of "optical rectification," says William Fisher, a doctoral student in applied physics. In traditional optical rectification, light's electric field causes a charge separation, or a pulling apart of the positive and negative charges in a material. This sets up a voltage, similar to that in a battery. This electric effect had previously been detected only in crystalline materials that possessed a certain symmetry.

Rand and Fisher found that under the right circumstances and in other types of materials, the light's magnetic field can also create optical rectification.

"It turns out that the magnetic field starts curving the electrons into a C-shape and they move forward a little each time," Fisher said. "That C-shape of charge motion generates both an electric dipole and a magnetic dipole. If we can set up many of these in a row in a long fiber, we can make a huge voltage and by extracting that voltage, we can use it as a power source."

The light must be shone through a material that does not conduct electricity, such as glass. And it must be focused to an intensity of 10 million watts per square centimeter. Sunlight isn't this intense on its own, but new materials are being sought that would work at lower intensities, Fisher said.

"In our most recent paper, we show that incoherent light like sunlight is theoretically almost as effective in producing charge separation as laser light is," Fisher said.

This new technique could make solar power cheaper, the researchers say. They predict that with improved materials they could achieve 10 percent efficiency in converting solar power to useable energy. That's equivalent to today's commercial-grade solar cells.

"To manufacture modern solar cells, you have to do extensive semiconductor processing," Fisher said. "All we would need are lenses to focus the light and a fiber to guide it. Glass works for both. It's already made in bulk, and it doesn't require as much processing. Transparent ceramics might be even better."

In experiments this summer, the researchers will work on harnessing this power with laser light, and then with sunlight.

The paper is titled "Optically-induced charge separation and terahertz emission in unbiased dielectrics." The university is pursuing patent protection for the intellectual property."

http://michigantoday.umich.edu/2011/04/ ... hp?id=7980

Solar

Re: New Discovery DRAMATIC & suprising Magnetic effect of LI

Unread post by Solar » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:46 am

Very interesting. Some literature:

Optically-induced charge separation and terahertz emission in unbiased dielectrics W. M. Fishera) and S. C. Rand

Need to contrast this with LaserStars , dielectric constant of plasma info and it will make a fine addition to the Extraordinary Light thread. It is also interesting in relation to:
“Now in Maxwell’s theory there is the potential energy of the displacement produced in the dielectric parts by the electric force, and there is the kinetic or magnetic energy of the magnetic induction due to the magnetic for in all parts of the field including the conducting parts. They are supposed to be set up by the current in the wire. We reverse this, the current in the wire is set up by the energy transmitted through the medium around it.O. Heaviside: The Electrician, January 10, 1885
Nice find, thank you.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:17 am

vanlore wrote: I wonder how this new information will effect the Electric Universe model...
It would seem to dovetail with EU theory very nicely, only enhancing its validity.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:48 pm

This pdf is the most comprehensive I have found.

Optics in the relativistic regime
http://eli.jinr.ru/pdf/RevModPhys_Bulanov.pdf‎

When I first saw the optical rectification material, I thought it offered an explanation for the high value magnetic field objects out there, up to the magnetar values. So you need a hard gamma source, and a non-linear vacuum. The source of the gamma rays I have previously commented on, in the NIAMI dept.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:14 pm

GaryN wrote:This pdf is the most comprehensive I have found.

Optics in the relativistic regime
http://eli.jinr.ru/pdf/RevModPhys_Bulanov.pdf‎

When I first saw the optical rectification material, I thought it offered an explanation for the high value magnetic field objects out there, up to the magnetar values. So you need a hard gamma source, and a non-linear vacuum. The source of the gamma rays I have previously commented on, in the NIAMI dept.
Oh nice and thank you. I wonder if that is the same Toshiki Tajima who co-authored Plasma Astrophysics? Has to be; good book written in 2002 so that reference is later work 2006. I was just wondering why I didn't recall anything about the topic in the book. I found his name mentioned twice on one of my favorite websites some years ago: Perspectives on Plasma. Anyways, thanks again.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Optical rectification is fairly well studied in crystals, but in in the michigantoday op article it seems a bit of a diversion. Pump light into any 'bound' material (in effe3ct an optical cavity, with sufficient intensity and duration, and some "charge separation" will take place.
They are not too clear how they are measuring the produced magnetic moment.

Charge separation is naturally the essence of solar cells, but the leading edge of the optic-electric DC conversion research lately has been going in the direction of Nano-rods (been working on related post for Extraordinary Light thread/FoS forum).

http://www.rodsol.eu

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/201301 ... _sys.shtml

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:43 pm

addendumdm:

After Miami ran the snow plough over Pittsburg, i had a chance to read Vanlore's article a little closer and and spotted a possible reason for the "charge separation" conclusions reached by the author's calculations:

they say,
"Sunlight exhibits rapid, random fluctuations both in phase and polarization. To simulate radiation from this source fully, the procedure described above must therefore be generalized to include stochastic polarization fluctuations...
and
For efficient optical power generation, the energy stor- age process that develops charge separation must be repeated as rapidly and as often as possible . "
and note this from Wiki's Optical Rectification page:
...while optical rectification can turn a sinusoidal electric field into a DC polarization, but not a DC current. On the other hand, a changing polarization is a kind of current.
Their light is a phase-varying EM field

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_rectification

'farasiknow, they haven't actually built the device

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:59 pm

And thank you too Solar, I've looked a little more into Toshiki Tajima, quite the genius I think. I see he is also the brain behind the plasma wakefield model.

@seasmith:
'farasiknow, they haven't actually built the device
from the pdf:
If we follow this rule, it suggests that in the next ten
years or so we shall be able to approach the Schwinger
intensity corresponding to 1030 W / cm2 with pulse dura-
tion in the zeptosecond regime. In this case the new non-
linear medium will be just a vacuum.
I suspect that the events refered to as neutron stars, black holes, etc, are created by the energies of what happens at the z-pinch, energies not yet possible in the Lab. These are not end-of-life events as per the standard model, but beginning of Life events! I may have to try and refine my model of what happens at the pinch in a flux tube, I'd imagined something akin to a vacuum spark creating the hard gamma rays, but not the laser process.
In articles such as the following, they still talk the curved space-time talk, but their present model of infinitely dense matter will change with all these new understandings of light and magnetism. "Awaken the vacuum", I like that, it's where the energy comes from IMO.

Focus: Neutron Star Formation Could Awaken the Vacuum
Blowing up again. A theory predicts that under some circumstances, the energy of the empty space around a neutron star (bright spot at center, surrounded by supernova remnant) could exceed the energy of the star’s mass.
http://physics.aps.org/story/v26/st14
Their supernova remnant is the matter created within or around the pinch event.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

vanlore

Unread post by vanlore » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Solar wrote:Very interesting.

Nice find, thank you.
Sure, I love sharing with everyone here, watching mainstream documentaries and comment blogs/youtube just frustrates me, this is the only place I can share the experience of learning something with people who have a better grasp on reality. I used to love watching those discovery/history films but now I check the thunderbolts youtube ch and this forum every week lol.. Although I do try to advertise the EU model by posting links to here or the Thunderbolts youtube channel.

justcurious

Unread post by justcurious » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:27 am

What's so dramatic? Seems like yet another incremental step for science (or rather engineering),