Electrophobia

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

flyingcloud

Electrophobia

Unread post by flyingcloud » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:52 pm

In varying degrees, many people experience hints of a latent fear of electicity, whether it is caused by actual experience, being bit by the dragon, some childhood thunderstorm trauma, or more deeply rooted in the subconscious memory of human evolution.

I think it may carry over into our acceptance of the influence of electricity in every aspect of our lives. We try to tame the dragon, use it for our comfort and convenience, yet there is danger involved with every application. One must respect electricity, and the inherent dangers must be a concern. As a parent teaching this respect to my children I can see how the 'fear' emotion could be easily invoke to prevent accidental electrocution.

Historically with the marketing of the electric chair, and the elephant electrocution , to the health concerns from EMF emmitted from high tension lines, an imprint on recent memory is fairly fresh. But there is an inate appreciation for the power of electricity specifically lightning that doesn't need the shock factor of public exhibition to be imbedded in the human psyche. Mankind's fear and respect of electrical discharge is buried deeper in the collective human survival instincts.

It may not stop with the human factor. Many animals exhibit intense anxiety associated with electrical storms. Whether the noise of the thunder clap, the flash of light, or the energized atmospheric surroundings, the power of the lightning discharge to demand attention and instill fear persists. It may be reactionary to the immediate event but it seems more intuitive and may be from residual memories of ancient experiences imbeeded in our survival code.