Debate: Aristarchus vs. Chandler

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

CharlesChandler

Debate: Aristarchus vs. Chandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:14 am

Aristarchus has "taken me to task" to explain my model in an EU thread, but where it was not appropriate to discuss models other than the EU. So I'm suggesting that we take up the discussion here, in the NIAMI forum, beginning with Aristarchus' last post.
Aristarchus wrote: You see, Charles, your lack of a thesis statement is not the only disqualifier, or the fact that you are unable to produce an abstract for your unmentioned thesis statement. The biggest component as to why you're not going to receive a PhD is that your model did not predict what was discovered by Voyager 1.
Wait a second... you criticize me first for my "lack of a thesis statement", and in the next sentence, for the fact that my "model did not predict what was discovered by Voyager 1"??? Ummm... how do you know what my model does and does not predict, since as far as you're concerned, I haven't stated it yet??? :D

I will be happy to answer all of your questions concerning my model, and/or my criticisms of the EU model. But I will spend a very finite amount of time responding to senseless argumentativeness.

For starters, I don't even know what the topic is. We were on a thread that was discussing the Sun, but you didn't "engage in that discussion". Your posts seemed centered on the galactic circuit model of the EU, so I can guess that this is the topic you want to discuss. Is that correct?
Aristarchus wrote:
Charles Chandler wrote:No, I'm saying that the Sun IS charged, and the HCS is the proof. (Can't have an electric current without an electric potential, which proves that the Sun has a net charge.) I've been saying for years that the Sun has a net negative charge, the heliosphere has a net positive charge, the outside of the heliopause is net negative, and the interstellar medium is quasi-neutral. But the field that drives the solar current is just within 10 AU. In the heliopause, the field flips polarity. So that's a different domain.
Electric potential? What are you? Plato. Is this electric potential static or dynamic?

It's a relatively static potential, though I explain in greater detail below.
Aristarchus wrote:Your internal ignited sun - that "dies out" at 10 AU, failed.
No, I'm just reporting the data. Inside 10 AU, the electrons are traveling faster than the +ions. Beyond 10 AU, the velocities are the same. If the velocities are the same, there is no net current.
Aristarchus wrote:What caused it to "die out?"
This is a crucial question, and I'll be happy to supply a step-by-step process that explains it.

It doesn't start out sounding like a tough question to answer. Around high voltage wires we sometimes see corona discharges, but these don't go on out to infinity from there. Rather, they "die out" at some distance from the wire. Why? Because as the current radiates outward, the current density falls off by the inverse square law. When the current density is no longer sufficient for a corona, it steps down to a Townsend avalanche (i.e., a "dark discharge"). Thus the corona has "died out".

But that analogy isn't terribly relevant. It has a wire with current being supplied to it from the power plant. So there's a reason for the charge separation between the wire and the air surrounding it. If we disconnect the wire, we no longer have a reason for there to be a sustained discharge. Any potential between the wire and the air will get discharged fairly rapidly, limited only by the resistance of the insulation around the wire. Yet the Sun at its surface is composed of hydrogen & helium at 6000 K, which is an excellent conductor. Without any resistance, we have no reason to expect any capacitance, and whatever potential exists between the Sun and the heliosphere should get discharged in fairly short order. Even if you go with the Young Earth hypothesis, the Sun has been burning steadily for thousands of years, and it just doesn't have the capacitance to hold a charge that long. This means that there has to be an ongoing charge separation process.

In my model, the Sun is made up of 5 layers of alternating charges, starting with a positively charged core, and ending with a positively charged photosphere. (I will go into the explanation for what sets up those layers if asked.) Anyway, for the present purpose, we only need to consider that the top layer is positively charged. All other factors being the same, the net charges in these layers should balance out. But periodically, the Sun goes through its active phase, in which coronal mass ejections (CMEs) expel matter from the surface. If that layer is positively charged, the expelled matter leaves the Sun with a net negative charge, and generates an electrostatic potential between the Sun and the interplanetary medium (IPM). In response to that potential, there will be an electron drift. Electrons moving through the positively charged photosphere will generate ohmic heating, which in turn produces the heat & light that we get from the Sun.

Note that while CMEs are episodic, I'm contending that the equal-but-opposite drift of electrons is relatively steady, and continues through the quiet phase. So CMEs during the active phase generate the potential that drives the electric current throughout the rest of the solar cycle.

This raises another question: why don't the electrons discharge the potential immediately, just as soon as there is a net loss of +ions? In other words, just seconds after a CME, there should be a big flash, where the +ions get hit by electrons streaming out of the Sun, to neutralize the potential between the net negative Sun and the net positive CME.

Such flashes do occur, but I'm still contending that CMEs represent a net loss of positive charge for the Sun, and that the potential drives an electric current throughout the rest of the cycle.

There are several reasons for the absence of complete neutralization after a CME.

First, CMEs rapidly balloon outward after being ejected from the Sun. This makes sense if the matter is positively charged -- electrostatic repulsion between the particles results in a Coulomb explosion. The significance for the equal-but-opposite drift of electrons is that the Coulomb explosion reduces the field density. So just after a CME, there is a dense electric field between the ejected matter and the point on the Sun from which it is ejected. But the ballooning happens really fast, and thereafter, the charges in the IPM are well distributed, leaving a low field density.

Second, the electrons that are to drive outwards to neutralize the CME have to pass through the positive layer on the surface of the Sun to get into the IPM. This means that there is some resistance to the drift, discouraging full neutralization.

Third, and most importantly, the electrons are sitting on a current divider. Remember that I said that my model has 5 layers of alternating charges, starting and ending positive. So from the core to the surface, that's a P-N-P-N-P configuration. Now, if we deplete the strength of the last P layer, there will be an excess of electrons in the next-to-last layer, which is an N layer. But note that the N layer is sandwiched between two P layers. As a consequence, it has a tug in both directions. The first reaction to a depletion of the topmost P layer is not at all a drift of electrons in the same direction. Rather, the electrons are initially pulled inward (i.e., to the left in this illustration). This is because of the inverse square law. If we take our P-N-P-N-P configuration, and send the last positive layer outward, we get something like this: P-N-P-N------P. So what happens to the N layer? Does it go chasing after the P layer? No, it actually snaps back the other way, toward the closer P layer to its left (or to the inside with the Sun). If the charges were balanced, but now the N layer isn't getting tugged in two directions, it goes in the only direction that it IS getting tugged, which is to the left. So that's the initial response to the depletion of positive charges in a CME. Long-term, the excess electrons will drift away from the Sun, causing the sustained electric current during the quiet phase. But there isn't an instantaneous discharge right after the CME.

So if the excess electrons in the Negative layer are sitting on a current divider, and if the initial reaction after the CME is not for the electrons to chase after the +ions, and if the electrons encounter resistance as they do eventually drift outward through the outermost positive layer, there will be a sustained electric current out of the Sun throughout the cycle, even if the charge separation mechanism is episodic.

And moving out into the IPM, this current "dies out" as it gets further from the Sun. Both +ions and electrons are moving away from the Sun, in the solar wind. Nearer the Sun, the electrons are moving faster than the +ions. Further from the Sun, the velocities get closer, until at around 10 AU, the velocities are the same. This makes no sense at all, if we're thinking in terms of the Sun as one electrode, and the heliopause as another, with an electric field between them, and with a current responding to that field. But that's not the configuration. Rather, +ions are being expelled, and electrons are chasing after them. Once the electrons have caught up to the +ions, there is no longer any "current". But remember that this is a "current" in oppositely charged particles that are both traveling in the same direction, while one sign is traveling faster than the other. In any electric field, the +ions go one way, and the electrons go the other. What kind of field would make both of them travel in the same direction, but with one sign traveling faster? It isn't just an electric field at work. It's a solar flare that ejects +ions, endowing them with momenta, and the electrons are chasing after them. When the electrons have finally caught up, the current "dies out".
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes
Astrophysics wants its physics back.
The Electromagnetic Nature of Tornadic Supercell Thunderstorms

D_Archer

Re: Debate: Aristarchus vs. Chandler

Unread post by D_Archer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:59 am

I will leave proper reaction to Aristarchus but i do want to say one thing: 'word salad'.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:47 am

t's a solar flare that ejects +ions, endowing them with momenta, and the electrons are chasing after them. When the electrons have finally caught up, the current "dies out".
Are you saying that the electrons combine with the +ions? Does it require energy for that reaction? And what percentage of ions are neutralized? :?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

antosarai

Unread post by antosarai » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:06 pm

As I understand it, there's no recombination.

To the whereabouts of Saturn's orbit there's a continued flow of eletrons and +ions from the Sun; only, the eletrons travel at much higher speed. At that distance the eletrons "finally catch up" the +ions. The flow (solar wind) keeps on, but then both charges travel at the same speed; so no current. And no recombination worth mentioning.

I've no pretense of being familiar with the data, or knowing the necessary sciences to judge how right or how wrong Mr. Chandler's model may be. But it seems to me well thought out and very consistent.

I'm wondering will the other side really "engage in this discussion"? A substantive debate, no rethoric cavillations, could be very intersting, and very informative...

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:51 pm

antosarai wrote:And no recombination worth mentioning.
Precisely. Even in a dark discharge, electron uptake occurs, but not at a rate that produces visible emissions. For that matter, as the electrons "travel faster" than the +ions moving away from the Sun, they are getting captured and subsequently released by atoms/molecules. But beyond the solar corona, it doesn't add up to enough for visibility.
antosarai wrote:A substantive debate, no rhetoric cavillations, could be very interesting, and very informative...
Yes! And everybody else can feel free to join in, as you already have. But as I said on the other thread, I devote very small amounts of time to senseless argumentativeness. If I wanted that, I'd go over to JREF. :D
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Here's a question and response from the New Sun Model / Capacitor concerning my solar model, which really should be discussed here, not there.
jacmac wrote:Charles Chandler's model would be internally powered. (I seem to remember Charles, that your estimate was for about 1/3 external power. Is that correct?)
In my model, the Sun's power is entirely internal. 2/3 of the power is directly from arc discharges, and 1/3 is from nuclear fusion caused by the arc discharges. The electrostatic potential getting released in these discharges is, of course, the result of a charge separation mechanism, which in my model is electron degeneracy pressure under gravitational loading. This forces electrons out of the core and into a negative double-layer around the outside of the core. On top of that is an induced positive double-layer, for a minimum of 3 layers to make a stable star, in a P-N-P configuration. The Sun actually has 5 layers, in a P-N-P-N-P configuration. So the Sun IS a capacitor, but not because of any sort of electrical resistance that prevents charge recombination. Rather, electron degeneracy pressure keeps charges separate.

Volcanoes

Aristarchus

Unread post by Aristarchus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Charles,

Do you really believe that this is an "Aristarchus vs. Chandler debate? Do you believe that sets and accurate and respectful tone? Do you a believe a serious researcher would be inclined to engage you in a debate after setting such a cheeky tone? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to have a title, e.g., Implications of Evidence found in the Heliosphere and its impact for an internal powered Sun, or Does the Dynamics of the EU Model demonstrate an external Sun charged from Galactic Currents, or The Dynamics of a proposed Chandler Internal Ignited Sun. Titles are an important part of any work and research. Titles are not a haphazard additions, but play a vital role in giving the reader the thesis of the topic. Next, are the authors of the research paper, followed by an abstract that acts as an abridgment or summary; however, sentences in the abstract cannot or should not be repeated in the body of a work.

You might believe this is laboring the point, but I'm a librarian by trade focusing on information and storage retrieval, information literacy, and Journal Impact Factors/citation impact factors, as well as the role of open access journals. I've decades experience assisting students and faculty with theses, dissertations, and research papers. Working at major universities gave me the opportunity to have discussions with physicists (including one that did preliminary research for the development of CERN's (LHC), archaeologists, anthropologists, and those involved with Operations Research. The physicists that did the work for LHC was very open to the work of Alfven, at least in private, and he was a very amicable person. However, I never became argumentative with him, and was careful to respect him and his degree no matter how I might disagree with him. Currently, I work at a proprietary college that has a field of study in Electronics Engineering at the Associate level. We do have excellent instructors, one of which has worked at Bell Labs. My wife has also worked with individuals at Bell Labs, and she was at the doctorate level in Operations Research.

By no means do I claim to be an expert in the sciences and electronics, but I do engage with questions and do careful analysis. I do take pride in knowing that I knew those that worked in the Defense Department and NASA that asked me to have a beer or coffee to discuss scientific issues. My own interest of study are aspects of Thomas Kuhn's, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, the history of science as outlined in Oswald Spengler's, The Decline of Western Civilization, and Carroll Quigley's, The Evolution of Civilizations. I think it pertinent to state this here so that you're aware of the direction and themes I bring to my postings.

I will look into your lengthy bottom half of your post, and it will take time to digest the material, but first things first:
Charles Chandler wrote:Wait a second... you criticize me first for my "lack of a thesis statement", and in the next sentence, for the fact that my "model did not predict what was discovered by Voyager 1"??? Ummm... how do you know what my model does and does not predict, since as far as you're concerned, I haven't stated it yet???
Reading my emphasis: What I stated was that your claim of data gathered nearer the Sun and Earth as being sufficient evidence for an internally ignited Sun, for which I countered that those data nearer the Sun and Earth did not predict data gathered at the heliosphere by Voyager 1. I view your reasoning as reductionist, at best, and compartmentalizing, at worst. Yes, I did mention your model. I presume you have one considering your rather verbose postings. However, you still have not supplied a thesis statement or abstract. A student might discuss with his/her professor a proposal for a model he/she have been pondering and researching, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the student supplied the professor with a thesis statement or abstract. I do the same in my non-fiction and prose writing. I might begin writing several paragraphs, but still have not provided an outline of the book.

In any case, your attempt at an I gotcha game has failed ... yet again.
Charles Chandler wrote:I will be happy to answer all of your questions concerning my model, and/or my criticisms of the EU model. But I will spend a very finite amount of time responding to senseless argumentativeness.
I'd be happy if you simply supplied a thesis statement and an abstract. Sounds like you're getting outside your comfort zone, thus you project the part about being argumentative. You're cheeky and dismissive. Your attempt to stifle debate is noted for the record. You're very disrespectful. If you're going to accuse someone of something, at least show the proper protocol and quote what is specifically considered argumentative, instead of libeling another poster without providing evidence.
Charles Chandler wrote:For starters, I don't even know what the topic is. We were on a thread that was discussing the Sun, but you didn't "engage in that discussion". Your posts seemed centered on the galactic circuit model of the EU, so I can guess that this is the topic you want to discuss. Is that correct?
I engaged you on claims you made on the other thread. I also provided evidence where you were dismissive of evidence that was already shown to you. In addition, I accused you of using qualifying statements with no further explanation to validate those qualifiers. File the latter toward your dismissive behavior.

Now, in my next post, I'll respond to the meat and potatoes of the latter half of your post.
An object is cut off from its name, habits, associations. Detached, it becomes only the thing, in and of itself. When this disintegration into pure existence is at last achieved, the object is free to become endlessly anything. ~ Jim Morrison

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Aristarchus wrote:Now, in my next post, I'll respond to the meat and potatoes of the latter half of your post.
Yes, meat and potatoes, please.

Volcanoes

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:57 pm

A (Aristarchus) said to CC: In any case, your attempt at an I gotcha game has failed ... yet again.

A said: Charles Chandler wrote: I will be happy to answer all of your questions concerning my model, and/or my criticisms of the EU model. But I will spend a very finite amount of time responding to senseless argumentativeness.

A said: I'd be happy if you simply supplied a thesis statement and an abstract. Sounds like you're getting outside your comfort zone, thus you project the part about being argumentative. You're cheeky and dismissive. Your attempt to stifle debate is noted for the record. You're very disrespectful. If you're going to accuse someone of something, at least show the proper protocol and quote what is specifically considered argumentative, instead of libeling another poster without providing evidence.
Aristarchus, you're greatly misreading Charles. He doesn't play I gotcha games. I've been discussing with him for 3 years or more and he's never done anything like that. He doesn't have a big ego. I believe you're misjudging his confidence for arrogance or something like that. And he states often that he's seldom if ever entirely confident in any of his own conclusions. So he's always open to what anyone may disagree with, though not necessarily willing to discuss everything right away.

Your request for a thesis statement and abstract sound reasonable, and with your library experience you're probably a better judge of that than I am, but your impressions of Charles as cheeky and dismissive are again IMO entirely off-base. Cheeky apparently means disrespectful. He's not that at all. The impression may come from his tendency sometimes to be brief, such as in replies to counter claims. But you're jumping to a conclusion to assume brevity means disrespect or dismissiveness. He's almost always open to anyone pressing a point, if they think he's wrong about something. I know this from having had many discussion with him about issues on which we disagreed.

It's too bad that it's so easy to get the wrong impressions about people's motives etc.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:21 am

Charles, you say CMEs occur during the Sun's active phase. That's an 11-year period, as I understand. The quiet phase is another 11-year period. What causes the active phase, where CME's are exploding out of the Sun about every day? Is it the electric tides caused by the arrangements of the planets?

A CME shoots out a big blob of mostly protons into the HCS (heliospheric current sheet), then after the electrons rebound in the top negative layer of the Sun under the photosphere's positive layer, they begin chasing after the CME and finally catch up to it just beyond Saturn's orbit. If they then balance the protons at that distance, but all of them continue outward, doesn't that mean the Sun is neutral again at that point, when the two constituents are in equal amounts past Saturn?

If so, that neutrality occurs in just a few days, doesn't it? So how could electrons continue to pour out of the Sun at the same rate for 11 years after the last CME of the active phase has expired? Is the Sun's radiation, both visible and invisible, dependent on the outward flow of electrons from the Sun? From Earth the Sun looks the same during both phases.

So it's hard to see offhand how the past CMEs could keep pulling electrons out of the Sun for 11 years. Or it seems possible that the protons and electrons don't come to a charge balance near Saturn. Can you provide a link to your evidence for your statements about the charge balance, or maybe quote from your material?

Aristarchus

Unread post by Aristarchus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:35 am

Charles Chandler wrote:It doesn't start out sounding like a tough question to answer. Around high voltage wires we sometimes see corona discharges, but these don't go on out to infinity from there. Rather, they "die out" at some distance from the wire. Why? Because as the current radiates outward, the current density falls off by the inverse square law. When the current density is no longer sufficient for a corona, it steps down to a Townsend avalanche (i.e., a "dark discharge"). Thus the corona has "died out".
Why did you introduce this? Is it that you typed it and realized later, as with the Second Law of Thermodynamics that you would have to justify it based off a closed system as opposed to an open system? You introduce something to the jury, but then set yourself up for plausible deniability later on. As in the following:
Charles Chandler wrote:In my model, the Sun is made up of 5 layers of alternating charges, starting with a positively charged core, and ending with a positively charged photosphere. (I will go into the explanation for what sets up those layers if asked.)

What do you mean if asked? This is the closest to a thesis statement that you were asked on three other separate occasions to provide. We must ask you again ... with baited breath? You could demonstrate a little bit of etiquette and simply supply the reader with a litany of those five layers to complete the thesis statement that is now developing into an abstract. You kind of address this later, but we'll get into that later.
Charles Chandler wrote:This raises another question: why don't the electrons discharge the potential immediately, just as soon as there is a net loss of +ions? In other words, just seconds after a CME, there should be a big flash, where the +ions get hit by electrons streaming out of the Sun, to neutralize the potential between the net negative Sun and the net positive CME.

Such flashes do occur, but I'm still contending that CMEs represent a net loss of positive charge for the Sun, and that the potential drives an electric current throughout the rest of the cycle.

Reading my emphasis, what is the interval for these flashes? What quantitative citation do you have to support your positing? What is the rate of the exchange? Citations?

I'm tired. We'll pick this up in the coming days. BTW, do you have a citation for the Coulomb Explosion beyond industrial use? Let me take a look at that, if you do.
An object is cut off from its name, habits, associations. Detached, it becomes only the thing, in and of itself. When this disintegration into pure existence is at last achieved, the object is free to become endlessly anything. ~ Jim Morrison

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:13 am

Lloyd wrote:So how could electrons continue to pour out of the Sun at the same rate for 11 years after the last CME of the active phase has expired?
You understand the problem, and I agree that it's a problem, but I "think" that I'm still OK in maintaining that this can happen. Thinking after-the-fact about the way I described it in the OP (talking about the P-N-P-N-P configuration getting altered into a P-N-P-N------P configuration by a CME), it might be more correct to say that the electrons aren't so much being drawn out of the Sun by their attraction to the positive heliosphere, but rather, they are being pushed out of the Sun by their repulsion from each other. The reason for saying this is the inverse square law. The attraction to that CME that just got blown out of the Sun is an inverse function of distance, so it isn't as much of a factor as just the repulsion of like charges within the negative layer.

Still, a force is a force, and it doesn't matter whether the electrons are being pulled or pushed, they should still move, right? Well, perhaps if we consider the context, it makes more sense. The following image shows the basic idea. The outermost positive layer is shown in green. This is 20 Mm deep. At the bottom of that is the underlying negative layer (which extends another 105 Mm deeper).

http://qdl.scs-inc.us/2ndParty/Images/C ... ffects.png

Now consider that one CME reduces the overall radius of the Sun by a mere 10−10 m. That isn't a big difference, compared to the entire 20 Mm in that positive layer. So the net force is only increased by a factor of 10−16. In that condition, the resistance against the electrons drifting through that positive layer might be the determining factor, which meters the flow of current, producing a steady stream through the entire 11 quiet years, even though the charge separation mechanism is just in the couple of active years during the cycle.
Lloyd wrote:Is the Sun's radiation, both visible and invisible, dependent on the outward flow of electrons from the Sun? From Earth the Sun looks the same during both phases.
The Sun puts out about 0.1% more power during the active phase. This doesn't get an explanation in the standard model, because with as much as 1% of the Sun's surface covered by sunspots, which are darker, scientists expect the power to go down, when it actually goes up. But this is an expectation in my model, if the CMEs associated with sunspots are charging up the system, and if the electron drift is running a bit hotter as a consequence. This is also consistent with the fact that the Maunder Minimum (1645~1715), when there was a rare lack of sunspots, coincided with the Little Ice Age. Fewer sunspots means fewer CMEs, which means less charging, and a weaker current. Thus there would have been less ohmic heating from that current.
Lloyd wrote:Can you provide a link to your evidence for your statements about the charge balance, or maybe quote from your material?
No, to my knowledge, I'm the only one who is explicitly stating that the surface layer is positively charged, with a negatively charged layer under it, and that CMEs alter the balance of charge, thereby driving the current. There are two sections on my website (Surface and Interior) devoted to developing the proof, and I "think" that I make a convincing case of it. I took the full gamut of observations into account, and I "think" that this current-free double-layer (CFDL) model is the only one that can make a clean sweep of all of the things that need explaining. But I prove the CFDLs first, and then stand on my own foundation to show that this also explains the dynamics of CMEs, and that there is a hidden significance to CMEs: they are the charge separation mechanism that drives the current.

I can lay out the proofs of the CFDL model in another post on demand, but this post is already a bit verbose, so I'll hold back until asked. ;)
Lloyd wrote:What causes the active phase, where CME's are exploding out of the Sun about every day?
Simple question -- complicated answer. I'll just skim over the answer, and let you lead with further questions.

IMO, it all starts with differential rotation. When this kicks in, the Sun's simple dipolar magnetic field gets converted into a much more complex arrangement, as in this diagram:

http://qdl.scs-inc.us/2ndParty/Images/C ... ly_wbg.png

Where the lines of force are perpendicular to the surface, it enhances the current, since the current can simply stream along those lines, as Birkeland currents. Where the lines of force are parallel to the surface, the current is braked by the Lorentz force. In the quiet phase, the lines of force are perpendicular to the surface only at the poles. So that's when we see the "fast solar wind" emerging through coronal holes. But from there, the currents are bent around toward the equatorial plane, ultimately forming the tips of the helmet streamers. This deflection slows down the current. But look at what happens in the active phase. We get perpendicular lines nearer the equator, at the edges of the differential rotation. In a simple dipolar field, all of the field lines close within the Sun, but in this far more complex arrangement, there is no obvious re-entry point. So these perpendicular lines are better candidates for open field lines that can stream all of the way out into the interplanetary medium without any braking. This enables more robust currents, which can resolve into sunspots. Then the sunspots set the stage for solar flares, which cause CMEs.
Aristarchus wrote:
Charles Chandler wrote:In my model, the Sun is made up of 5 layers of alternating charges, starting with a positively charged core, and ending with a positively charged photosphere. (I will go into the explanation for what sets up those layers if asked.)

What do you mean if asked? This is the closest to a thesis statement that you were asked on three other separate occasions to provide. We must ask you again ... with baited breath?
From the other thread:
CharlesChandler wrote:You can find my thesis in PDF form here:

http://vixra.org/abs/1401.0067

...or in HTML form here...

http://qdl.scs-inc.us/?top=6031

It's 166 pages, which might take you a little while to get through, so perhaps you'd like to ask a more specific question?
The bottom line here is that this is a forum, and people have limited amounts of time. So brief statements, with targeted questions and answers, work better than massive monographs. So again, ask the questions, and I'll be happy to provide answers in reasonable depth, and if you still have questions, keep asking. ;)
Aristarchus wrote:You could demonstrate a little bit of etiquette and simply supply the reader with a litany of those five layers to complete the thesis statement that is now developing into an abstract.
The following diagram shows the proposed 5 layers of charge.

http://qdl.scs-inc.us/2ndParty/Images/C ... on_All.png

Blue = positive osmium, platinum, & nickel
Red = negative nickel & iron
Green = positive helium & hydrogen
Orange = negative hydrogen
Yellow = positive hydrogen
Aristarchus wrote:
Charles Chandler wrote:This raises another question: why don't the electrons discharge the potential immediately, just as soon as there is a net loss of +ions? In other words, just seconds after a CME, there should be a big flash, where the +ions get hit by electrons streaming out of the Sun, to neutralize the potential between the net negative Sun and the net positive CME.

Reading my emphasis, what is the interval for these flashes? What quantitative citation do you have to support your positing? What is the rate of the exchange? Citations?
I'm referring to flashes in the lower corona after a CME, which occur within minutes of the solar flare that caused the CME. I haven't explicitly studied these, since in my model, whatever neutralization occurs then is "wasted", and has no long-term effects. Only the +ions that are fully expelled from the Sun, as +ions (without being neutralized), are part of the charge separation mechanism, and thus are responsible for the electric current during the quiet phase.
Aristarchus wrote:BTW, do you have a citation for the Coulomb Explosion beyond industrial use?
I'm referring to the way CMEs rapidly balloon outward after expulsion from the Sun. I'm the only one saying that they are positively charged, and that this accounts for the rapid expansion. So no, there isn't published literature in support of this. There is only published literature that finds this behavior to be a mystery. ;)

Volcanoes

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Differential rotation means the Sun's surface rotates at different speeds at different latitudes. The "lower" latitudes near the equator rotate faster. The latitudes toward the poles rotate slowly. I had forgotten this part of your model. You say the differential rotation causes magnetic fields, don't you? Can you state briefly how the differential rotation causes the active phase for 11 years, with CMEs producing charge separation from the double layers, then the rotation causes a quiet phase for 11 years? Does the Sun have a certain "capicitance" that the CME's reach the limit of after 11 years, then it takes another 11 years to restore the balance of charges?

Did you answer my question about the neutral solar wind beyond the orbit of Saturn? I thought the data indicated that the charges in the solar wind are about equal all the time. Do they actually show more positive for a while, then more negative? If so, is the more positive wind associated with the CMEs?

I see you show the two outer CFDL (charge layers) of the Sun have only hydrogen. But I think the data show that about 25% of the surface layer is helium. Don't they? How would they detect helium if it's over a hundred megameters below the surface?

I'd like to have a more lucid discussion, but I'm disorganized due to needing to find another place to live. But your overall theory seems to make more sense than any other that I know. And I appreciate your efforts.

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Lloyd wrote:Can you state briefly how the differential rotation causes the active phase for 11 years, with CMEs producing charge separation from the double layers, then the rotation causes a quiet phase for 11 years? Does the Sun have a certain "capacitance" that the CME's reach the limit of after 11 years, then it takes another 11 years to restore the balance of charges?
First, the active/quiet cycle together is 11 years. So it's quiet for ~9 years, and then active for ~2 years, and then quiet for another ~9 years, etc., for a total of 11 years. And the differential rotation is part of that cycle. So the equatorial band speeds up, and widens, spanning from 30 degrees North to 30 degrees South at the beginning of the active phase. Then the band shrinks, eventually spanning only from 5 degrees North to 5 degrees South at the end of the active phase.

When the band is at its widest, and moving the fastest, the magnetic field that it generates perturbs the Sun's overall field. If you have a rotating sphere that is generating a dynamo effect, you get a standard solenoidal magnetic field, with lines of force coming out of the high latitudes. But if you have the equatorial band rotating faster, its field will dominate, because it's rotating faster, and because equatorial angular velocity is greater than polar velocity anyway. And magnetic lines of force in the axis repel each other. So there is nothing forcing the field generated by the equatorial band to have its lines of force concentrated at the poles, so those lines come out just beyond the width of the equatorial band. This gets lines of force perpendicular to the surface at much lower latitudes than during the quiet phase. And this sets the stage for sunspots, which are Birkeland currents that follow the lines of magnetic force. And sunspots set the stage for solar flares, which cause CMEs.
Lloyd wrote:Did you answer my question about the neutral solar wind beyond the orbit of Saturn?
I thought I did. :oops: I'm saying that there is a steady stream of +ions and electrons away from the Sun, but that nearer the Sun, the electrons are traveling faster, because the Sun is net negative, and the heliosphere is net positive. So the electrons are pushed out of the Sun by repulsion, and pulled into the heliosphere by attraction. The origin of the +ions is CMEs, but after ballooning outward, they evenly distribute themselves in the heliosphere, and then continue expanding due to hydrostatic and electrostatic pressure. Where the stream of electrons has fully neutralized the net charge in the heliosphere, around 10 AU, there is no longer any net current past that point.
Lloyd wrote:I thought the data indicated that the charges in the solar wind are about equal all the time.
Well, in a current carrying copper wire, the number of positive and negative charges will be the same, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a current flowing through it.
Lloyd wrote:I see you show the two outer CFDL (charge layers) of the Sun have only hydrogen. But I think the data show that about 25% of the surface layer is helium. Don't they? How would they detect helium if it's over a hundred megameters below the surface?
Good point. :oops: I did those diagrams to illustrate the relative volumes of the elements, but especially in the convective zone, there is a lot of mixing, and the layers aren't perfectly stratified. So I need to update the diagrams (or at least the descriptions).
Lloyd wrote:And I appreciate your efforts.
Thanks. I'm trying. It really helps to be forced to explain things in the simplest terms possible. Usually I find that I don't understand things as well as I thought. ;) So, thanks for your continued efforts, and in spite of our disagreements.

Volcanoes

kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Charles

Page 26
Black Holes
Supernovae sometimes leave a remnant behind in the center, such as a black hole.
Scientists now believe that a supermassive black hole is at the center of every galaxy. (It's
possible that those black holes are not the remnants of stellar explosions, but rather, of
galactic explosions.)
What do we know about black holes? We know that they have a strong gravitational
field, and that they don't produce any light, not even infrared radiation, which simply has
to be present as matter gets compacted by the force of gravity.Near black holes, we know that matter being pulled in has been accelerated to relativistic
speeds.
Stephen Crothers has demolished the non-sense of Black Holes :ugeek:

As you refer to this version via a Galactic collapse, what is the path-to-market for this "belief" ?... it cannot be the traditional way because its been shown beyond doubt that to arrive at the stardard version requires a total trashing and misrepresentation of Scwhartzchilds original work on Einsteins field equations that these fallicies are fraudulently derived from

I'll keep reading :arrow:

Cheers